Windows clock losing time...

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
My taskbar clock keeps losing time. It started about a week ago, and was fine prior to that. I'm running an Athlon XP 1800 system/Windows XP. I have taken the following steps to try and correct the problem:

1. Reboot - same problem
2. Virus Scan - clean
3. CMOS battery - okay (system is on all the time anyway)
4. restarted time server - no dice

Any ideas? Could it be a bad RTC? I sort of ruled this out as the software clock should keep time when the machine is on.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I had problems with winXP keeping time properly.. on the same system win2k, linux, and winME would always keep good time....

I disabled the time sync crap (had to do it in both the 'services' section and via the setting when you double click on the clock in the taskbar)

That seems to have taken care of most of the problem(if not all of it)... my clock seems to be within a minute of correct as I type this...

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
My PC clock gains about 30 seconds/month. I just run AtomTime 98 v2.2 to synch my PC's clock to the atomic clock in Colorado from time to time. I leave Win Xp's "Windows Time" service disabled.

Dozer

Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
Thanks for all of the input. I disabled the synchro service, so we'll see if that helps.

In answer to Buck's question, this system is networked with one other Linux box through a DI-704 Firewall/Router. The Linux box is keeping perfect time.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Windows XP's time synch actually works pretty well if you synch to someplace you know has good time. I use one of the machines at my alma mater.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
A bit off topic, but does anyone here know why PC clocks keep such lousy time that they need to be synched to an external time source on a regular basis? A simple thing like a TCO(temperature compensated oscillator) will cost less than $10 and would make the clocks accurate to within a minute or less annually. To me this is a huge oversight by the M/B makers. Even a cheap $1 stick on-clock keeps better time than my PC, and I adjusted both my good quartz watches to be accurate to within about 5 seconds per year(there's a tiny pot in some watches that let's you slightly alter the frequency, but unless you know what you're doing it's best left alone). My PII with an AX6B M/B is good to within about two minutes per month, but my other machines can gain or lose as much as ten. I personally consider any more than a few seconds off to be unacceptable.

The Grammar Police

Time is funny stuff.

I have been obsessed by it, and have been completely unfussed by it at various different stages of of my life.

Back when I was working in public transport, it was an essential part of my job to be aware of the exact time. The way that job worked, you were supposed to run the tram exactly on time (to the nearest 60 seconds) but that was, of course, impossible given that we had to deal with varying passenger loads and motor traffic. With no way to pass or be passed by the other trams on the same route, if you dropped more than a minute or two behind schedule, you very quickly got into a spiral of being late, and thus getting more passengers, which meant you were spending longer loading and unloading, which meant you got later still, which meant you were now getting twice as many passengers as you were supposed to, and so on.

Conversely, run a few minitues early and you had a really easy trip, and could pick up still more time. On the down (outbound) that could translate into as much as 20 or 25 minutes to sit at the terminus reading the paper, having a coffee, whatever you liked, while you waited for your scheduled return departure time. Mind you, run too early and you could get in trouble from the management. Net result is that you soon became obsessed by time. You might not be on time (and in fact 90% of the time you were either early or late) but you always knew exactly how early or late you were. Ask a trammie the time and he won't say "5:32" or "a quarter past seven". Nope: he just says "36" or "14", meaning so many minutes past the hour. The hour itself is not stated because it is unimportant, nobody cares if it's 4:36 or 5:36, they are only interested in the fact that at "36" they are supposed to be at Balaclave Junction and they have only made it as far as Darling Road.

It was a strange job.

In consequence of that job, I ended up becoming very aware of time, and like JTR, used to make sure that my watch was always within a couple of seconds of the exact moment. Needless to say, the only time you'd ever see me take my watch off was if I was swimming or in the shower. I even used to leave it on in bed.

Then, a few years later I started a different job, at an explosives factory making Gelignite, Dynamite, and Powergel (a tradename for their ammonium nitrate based explosives). Working with this stuff, it was imperative that you not wear a watch. Or, for that matter, rings, metal buttons, or anything else that might create a spark. Indeed, if someone discovered you at work with a watch on, or a box of matches in your pocket, or anything else of that nature, you would be sacked on the spot and forgo all entitlements (such as wages owing). And fair enough too! I certainly didn't want anyone blowing me up!

As is the case with all explosive facilities, it was very spread out; lots of little buildings in a vast sea of grass on the Keilor plains, each one surrounded by a blast wall designed to make sure that the force of any explosion would be straight up, not outwards where it might set off one of the other buildings. I guess there were 30 or 40 little huts and blast walls on the site, and the site itself was huge, maybe a mile or two in each direction. There were strict, scientifically calculated limits to the amount of explosive you were allowed to have at any particular location, which everyone cheerfully ignored most of the time. There was a specially designed little tractor thing, sort of like an overgrown golf-cart, which the foreman used to drive around, towing a little train of half-ton trailers so as to be able to move the explosives from one building to the next. Once they had got to know you, you might be trusted with the job of doing that yourself while he took a break or attended to some other task for a while - this was much-prized privelage, and a good deal more pleasant than most of the other jobs like packing the sticks of explosive into boxes, or stapling the boxes shut, or stacking them onto the little trailers, or (worst of all) the horrible hot, sweaty, sticky task of fishing the sticks of Powergel out of the water bath they went into to cool them down after they came out of the oversized sausage machinet that made them. Eventually, at the last hut, the explosives would wind up neatly stacked in heavy cardboard boxes and now and then another forman would come along driving a tiny narrow-gauge train, and cart them away to be sent off to the mining company (or whoever had ordered them).

So, when you started the job, you were issued with the following: pair of leather boots (one), pair of rubber boots (one), overalls (two), safety glasses (two), earmuffs (one), and bicycle (one). Yes: they gave you a bicycle because otherwise by the time you got to your little building, it would be nearly time to turn around and start walking back to have lunch! A strange job. We used to love those hot, humid summer days when there was a chance of thunder, because the moment you could see lightning or hear thunder, no matter how far away, you were required to finish the batch you were working on as quickly as possible, place all explosives under cover (that took maybe one minute or less), and make your way to a "place of safety" - i.e., the staff room near the main gate, where you would then while away the hours (on full pay, of course) playing cards and yakking with the other workers until the all-clear was announced. Then, with any luck, the management would decide that today's production was vital, and anyone who wanted to (which was most of us) could stay back for another couple of hours earning overtime rates. Do that twice in a fortnightly pay period and you would be taking home some serious money. :) One night in 1957 (long before I worked there, of course - before I was born, in fact - a bolt of lightning hit the nitro-glycerine plant (one of the various little buildings) and set it off. The blast walls worked as designed and nothing else went off in sympathy, and being the middle of the night, no-one was there bar the nightwatchman at the front gate, so there were no injuries. But the factory was in Sunshine, and the blast was clearly heard over the noise of the thunderstorm as far away as Black Rock! (For non-Melbournians, that's perhaps 20 miles away.)

Err ... about the time thing. Naturally, the last thing you wanted was to get the sack because you forgot to take our watch off. (Well, actually that was the second-last thing you wanted - the last thing being, of course, to transport yourself and a dozen workmates to several nearby suburbs the quick way.) So, before too long, I got into the habit of not wearing a watch at all. I'd just leave it at home. There was a clock in the car, after all. And the habit stuck. To this day I still don't wear a watch. I own one, a ridiculously expensive Longines which I remember to put on two or three times a year and never remember to look at - mostly these are the same times that I put on that other horrid symbol of modern stress and city living, a necktie - in other words, weddings, funerals, and precious little else.

I don't miss it in the slightest. There is a clock on the wall here at home (which runs daylight saving time - real time - 52 weeks a year (in winter, I just remember that everyone else in the country is a hour slow), a computer at the office which I set to an atomic clock whenever it gets more than a few seconds out, and Kristi. Kristi wears a watch most days, so I just ask her if it's nearly lunchtime yet. The only occassions on which this no-watch habit becomes a trifle difficult is if it is a nice day and we decide to "play trains" for lunch - which is our term for strolling up to the local milk bar for a pie or a sandwich and taking it to sit under a tree in the vacant land near the Ballarat - Melbourne railway line. Sometimes a magpie visits us. With no watch and no other way to tell the time, we just have to guess when the hour has elapsed. But we seem to be able to get within five minutes or so, ten at the outside, and that is near enough.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Hey Grammar Police, I envy you.

For me, it's hard to believe that in 2002, living in a Metro area, people still have the luxury of not needing to look at a watch!

As I get older, I'm beginning to realize more and more the value of quality of life! Enjoy it!

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I don't wear a watch either. I don't have anything particularly against them, though they do strike me as one of the more ridiculous human-invented ways to decrease your quality of life and increase your stress. But the real reason I don't wear one has nothing to do with being banned from using Tannin's credit card just at the moment (a small matter to do with juzt inztalling a keyboard remaper) - it's because the little metal band gets caught in my fur.

PS: It occurrs to me that most of these unpleasant human inventions that cause them pain (such as watches and neckties and TV sets and high-heeled shoes) have a paradoxical mode of operation. On the face of things, you would expect that your average human with one of those unpleasant devices would have it for some particular reason, presumably because they get paid to put up with it or some such, but the really funny part is that you actually have to spend your own money to inflich yourself with one. I have no idea why they do it.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I like wearing a watch. I've been wearing a watch for quite some time, and feel incompete without one - even if I don't look at it to check time.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Isn't that the truth, Tea!

Mercutio, Buck, I have nothing against watches. I have one I wear everytime I step out - a Casio Data Bank. Meets all my needs (dual time, 5 alarms, stopwatch, timer). My significant other hates it and bought two that I seldom wear. My brother is a watch freak--probably has 2-3 dozen expensive ones, and he does have a different one on each day (nuts!).

My problem is more with how regimented our lives become. It's like the phone. Continuing Tea's train of thought, we could be doing something important/very enjoyable, and when the phone rings, we drop whatever it is we were doing and rush to answer the damn thing, even though we have an answering m/c. It took me a considerable amount of deliberate retraining to ignore it and have the answering m/c get it.

So it is with time as well.

"What is this life if full of care
We have no time to stand and stare
"

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I find that my computers have historically kept very good time. Much better than my alarm clocks or timex watches.

I have used a timex indiglo expedition watch for nearly 8 years.. I think I'm on my second or third one now. They dont break, I just lose them. I no longer place it on my wrist.. i find it much to cumbersome, so I just attach it to one of my belt loops on my jeans or slacks.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I get an acceptable time [margin] when I synchronize at time.windows.com. But Groltz's program might prove useful if you really want to be precise.

Dozer

Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
Tea - You are correct--we as humans have become slaves to the almighty wristwatch. The happiest and well-adjusted of our race are the ones who manage to balance this time, to break out of their mundane schedules, to make time for family, for friends, for recreation, for nature. For me, it means getting outside to enjoy hiking in the wilderness, to paddle rivers, and to do these activities without worry about time. My dad and I usually leave our watches at home or tucked away in our packs when we backpack. I always feel more at ease, and it even seems that there is more time to enjoy life in the wilderness.

My PC clock problem was not as easy to fix as taking it out for a hike. :( Here's what I finally did...

The clock was stopping altogether. I found that Win XP and Dell machines were having this problem. I custom built this machine, and there's not a Dell-related component on board, but one of the suggested fixes was the following:

net stop w32time
w32tm /unregister
w32tm /unregister
w32tm /register
net start w32time

I figured, what the heck, I've tried everything else. And it worked!