Windows DHCP/IP Problems

BooST

Learning Storage Performance
Windows XP Pro will NOT pick up any IP address other than 192.168.1.100 ; My DHCP server isn't even outputting this address. Everything else is correct - Gateway, dns, ect. but the connection will NOT work, the only way I can get it to work is to manually enter the IP/DNS info. Any ideas?? This isn't the first PC I've seen this on, but this is my personal PC and it really irritates me. The reason it got the .1.100 ip was I'm troubleshooting a Linksys router. I uninstalled / reinstalled the network adapter, rebooted, ect ect

Help!

BooST

Correct, only 1 DHCP server on the network, all other PCs are release/renewing fine and getting the proper IPs they should be... Range starting @ .1.5 ; Yeah, release / renewed countless times

BooST

If I release then renew, I get the .1.100 add, if I just renew, it says it can't contact the DHCP server. Try pinging the DHCP server, doesn't work... 100% loss. Ping another computer on the network - fine. ?????

BooST

If I ping w/ the Static IP and Manual DNS info, it'll ping everything on the network. Same subnets, everything. Anyone else confused?

BooST

Yes, pinging by ip ; XP Professional ; I've reinstalled the nic a few times

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Just to confirm:
If you hard code the correct information then you can ping the DHCP server as well as other machines?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
in addtion to reinsatlling the NIC, have you also tried running the system file checker ("sfc /scannow") and the netsh reset command ("netsh int ip reset c:\reset.log")?

BooST

Howell - Yes, hardcoded everything works fine

Blake - ran the netsh command and still the same thing. I'll run SFC in a bit

Thanks again for the help

Will Rickards WT

Website
www.willrickards.net
I remember a thread, maybe it was here maybe it was at storagereview where I think honold suggested to remove the network stuff and then you had to clear some registry keys. This worked for him everytime with weird network problems.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
you know boost, after this is might be time for a winXP inplace installation.. aka repair...

I've ran into one encounter with winXP where one NIC would work.. I installed an additional and it wouldnt work... wouldn't pull DHCP address or otherwise communicate on the network... installed a different NIC... same thing.. reinstalled the original NIC and then no NICs would work...

this could probably be fixed by a registry wipe of the networking ifnormation... trouble is, where is all that junk stored and what is safe and what is not safe to remove... easier to install over the top of windows than to troubleshoot the problem.