Windows Media Player 9

Adcadet

Storage Freak
has anybody tried the latest and greatest Windows Media Player from Redmond? I downloaded it thinking that I could just format my main HD and reinstall the OS if I didn't like it so much. So far it seems kindof nice, actually.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i havent touched it with a 10 ft pole... I don't use the current WMP for anything except the occasional streaming WMA/WMV file and since it works fine I havent bothered to isntall something that might not be uninstallable.

cquinn

What is this storage?
Downloaded it, haven't installed it yet.

looking forward to some of the touted features I saw demo'ed a
few months ago.

Handruin

Administrator
I haven't touched it either, I suaully wait on those things. My media player works fine, I don't have a compelling reason to upgrade it.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
A friend of mine installed the beta version and everything got crapped. Now he can't only listen to music. Videos will only open with QuickTime, RealOne, and DivX Player.

Maybe his case, who knows.
Is the final version available?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Prof: Did he remove the beta copy or is it still on the machine?

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
CityK said:
He told me he couldn't find where to uninstall it from. Tried Add/Remove Programs but it wasn't there. He's not so much computer literate so I'll have to reach him at his home to see for myself what has gone wrong.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Prof.Wizard said:
CityK said:
He told me he couldn't find where to uninstall it from. Tried Add/Remove Programs but it wasn't there. He's not so much computer literate so I'll have to reach him at his home to see for myself what has gone wrong.
There is no uninstall, at least not on XP. According to Microsoft, you're supposed to create a restore point, and use that if you want to remove it. Of course, if you disable System Restore, you won't be able to uninstall it.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
MS says a lot of things....however, if you read through you the discussion on this page you will see that (1) there is indeed a way to uninstall the MP9beta and (2) afterwards, realize that not everything MS says should be taken on face value....you will also see one individual in that thread that makes a very appropriate remark along the lines of "who ever heard of a uninstallable beta version"

Cheers, CK

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
after I posted an re-read and it struck me that my above post may come across as sounding condenseding. I assure you that was not my intention.

Also, I thought that I should add that, when I used the above mentioned step, I found that WMP9 wasn't "completely" eliminated - there were a few trace elements left over:
- a few files in the "Documents and Settings\"User Name"\ directories"
- and some invalid (but harmless) entries in the registry

Also, I did recieve an error about unregistering a certain filter, but I can't remember which one..I don't think it was ever present to begin with.

Bottom line was the removal works and whatever reminents left over are beneign (I didn't bother to remove them for a good long time afterwards and there were never any conflicts with anything during the time that they remained present).

The only thing you will have to do is re establish an association with the file types WMP9 became the default player for to your media player of choice (I tend to like a combination of Zoom Player, WMP6, winamp, and PowerDVD)

Cheers, CK

James

Storage is cool
The album information in WMP9 is more elegantly done than in competing products (although it sticks the album cover files in your default music directory :bibber: ), but otherwise it's unremarkable and functional.

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
blakerwry said:
half those features you can get with media player 6 as long as you download the WM9 codecs which are free and wont mess up your system

Unless you are running WinXP as your O/S, because WMP 8.0 is installed as the base-level player.

Platform

Learning Storage Performance
honold said:
c:\program files\windows media player\mplayer2.exe

Excellent! Thanks, Honold!

I just made a shortcut to WMP V6.4 here on my homely WinXP Pro machine.

MS sure like to hide stuff. I wonder if there is a copy of MultiPlan 2.0 or Word for DOS 6.0 squirreled away somewhere in my Office 2000 installation? Heh...

honold

Storage is cool
open up wmp8 and go to tools/options/file types and unselect everything

open up wmp6.4 and go to view/options/formats and select everything

no need to make shortcuts :)