Windows XP CD

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
If I buy windows XP, can I use that CD to install it on another computer but use that computers license key?
See I want to upgrade my home computer with win2k pro to windows XP to have platform parity with everything else I normally use/support. But I have a need to reinstall from scratch my in-laws HP computer which came with XP preinstalled and doesn't have a windows CD.
I'll be buying XP home.
Are there any restrictions in XP home that I as a developer should be aware of?

Gilbo

Storage is cool
This works just fine. As a matter of fact, I just did it yesterday for a family member who had lost/thrown out their original OEM CD.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I believe that you will need a key that matches with the version of CD you have.

There are several CDs available, this is at a minimum:
WinXP Pro Corporate
WinXP Pro OEM
WinXP Pro Retail

WinXP Home OEM
WinXP Home Retail

Each version has a different type of key and an OEM key will not work with a retail disk in my experience. Just like a Pro key will not work with a home disk. As such, it behooves you to be sure you have the correct CD before you get to the point where you are required to enter the key.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Not only that but I've seen retail discs that won't take keys from older retail versions. I have some Windows 2000 SP2 discs that won't take an original Windows 2000 key.

Which is of course completely moronic.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Here is the information on the PID number that gives XP its subtype.

Like it says, you still need the appropriate matching key code.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
So the OEM version is what I think I need, but will that let me do an upgrade or will I have to do fresh install? Secondly, where is the best place to get one and I assume a hardware purchase is required... a DVD-RW drive would qualify?

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
As long as the PID and key code match each other it should work.

I can't personally vouch for it, however. Maybe some of the others here have worked with this?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Whoa!

That web page only explains how XP knows what kind of key to expect. You'll have to rip the CD, change the PID, and burn a new CD for the change to take effect (including making the new CD bootable). And I have a feeling that the PID in a standard OEM CD will not be the same as the PID for a Top 20 OEM manufacturer like HP.

An OEM CD generally expects a blank disk drive to install to.

Best price I've seen (consistently) for Windows OSes is Vio Software. I've bought OEM copies from them a few times, and as far as I could tell, it was the real thing. Price includes the "hardware" that qualifies you to buy OEM.

Didn't the HP come with Recovery CDs? Newer HPAQ machines come with no CDs but have a recovery partition and software preloaded in Windows that will let you burn recovery CDs once (use the best media you can) - approximately 6 CDs. With these, you can put the system back the way it was when you bought it. Back up your data first, though.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
mubs said:
Didn't the HP come with Recovery CDs?
Well a recovery partition yes. But the problem is there is too much crap on the computer so I want to wipe it clean. Probably of even the recovery partition. I'm thinking about forcing them to get a new hard drive to make life easier. The one in there is dog slow, I think it is a 5400 RPM drive.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I would just call and ask them. I've called for activation questions before, such as switching a COA from one name (mine) to another (customers). They didn't have any problem with that situation.