WinTV PVR 250 Experiences

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Hi Guys-

I'm considering purchasing the WinTV PVR250 card. Do any of you have experiences with this card?

The PVR functionality is interesting to me so I might get a nice big HDD to go with it. I also want to capture video from a wireless surveilance camera using the component video input.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
C

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Personally, I think other vidcap hardware has better output. And the software that comes with the card - unless you're using Snapstream - isn't just bad, it's downright brutal. Also they're incompatible with 99% of other vidcap software, and also with a surprising array of other programs that deal with MPEG video.

Shit, *I* can't get the cards to work right half the time.

But if you can get one to work, and don't mind the software, they're alright.

russofris

What is this storage?
Side note,

The PVR250 has fairly decent quality hardware MPEG2 compression. It is supported under linux, and works well with MythTV. For a non-hardware accellerated solution, I would recommens a BT-8x8 solution, as support for windows will be infinately better. Hauppauges WinTV PCI model 404 was based on this chipset, although they now use a different chip made by Connexant (I realize that they bought BTree, but they no longer produce the 878a).

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo