WinXP and >127GB drives

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I mentioned this in Tonys thread in Tech support, but I thought I'd mention this here also.

Could someone explain to me why this happened?

The relocation did not mean installation of XP, that was done a month ago. I just wanted a better case for ventilation, that's the reason for the moving of all parts.

Copy/paste:

OK, this isn't funny anymore. I just relocated the stuff from one computer to another case. I also installed an Adaptec 2940 and a 18GB SCSI disk. As I went to partition and format the SCSI disk, I just realized that only the first 128GB of my Samsung 160GB 8MB drive is utilized!
It was a fresh install of WinXP, formatting with NTFS (quick if I recall). Don't remember any warnings about only using 128GB of the disk.

MSI Nforce2 mobo. 80pin cable.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm really pissed at MS.

I mean really, REALLY angry.

Maybe even really, REALLY, REALLYREALLY agnry.

I'm glad I remembered someone else having these problems...

I'm still very angry...

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Go look in the Toolbox forum for a link about >127GB drives/XP/SP1, it's not quite that simple. I think Giant posted the original. Superseding this information, Microsoft have a hotfix out that makes the reg entry obsolete, I keep meaning to update that toolbox post with this hotfix but haven't got around to it.

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
If you're trying to setup one "large" boot partition with that 160 GB ATA/SATA drive, then you will have to bootup on an XP-SP1 "slipstreamed" CD (or XP / SP-2 when available).

If you just want to use the 160 GB hard drive as a secondary drive with a single "large" partition, or create a <128 GB boot partition and the remainder of the 160 GB drive as a another partition(s), then you can boot up on WinXP or Win2K and upgrade to the latest Service Pack level, then do the follow to access the rest of the 160 GB drive.

Minimum of Windows XP (SP1) and Windows 2000 (SP3)

Add support for 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA)

• Go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters

From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value.

Enter the name EnableBigLba, then press Enter.

Double-click the new value, set it to 1, then click OK.

Close the registry editor.

Restart the machine for the change to take effect.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
GIANT said:
If you're trying to setup one "large" boot partition with that 160 GB ATA/SATA drive, then you will have to bootup on an XP-SP1 "slipstreamed" CD (or XP / SP-2 when available).

This is just the thing I was after.

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
You can make your own "slipstream" installation CDs for WinXP, Win2K, Office, etc.

There are instructions scattered all around Micro$oft on how to do this.

I've done it. It's not too hard. Though I could be wrong, I though that even Tea once claimed that she successfully made a slipstream installation CD-R!!!

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
:)

Yeah, we've been through that a few times here also, if I remember correctly.
Atleast we went through that some years ago at SR.

If I don't already have a XP+SP1 in the bookshelf, I'll probably try slipstreaming it as I haven't done that before (never needed, always had it on cd already).

Gotta do a search here for slipstream....

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I presume that this update is only needed for those who write dumps to or have their hibernation files on ATA disks larger than 137GB....

Stereodude

Not really a
sechs said:
I presume that this update is only needed for those who write dumps to or have their hibernation files on ATA disks larger than 137GB....
Not sure how you've come to this conclusion.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Given that people here are telling me that the Samsung 160s run a bit hot, and a bit louder too perhaps, and given that there are issues with drives over 128GB, and given that there is only one other line of drives besides the Spinpoints that I trust, and given that this other line is the Seagate 15,000 RPM drives, and given that they are small and very expensive ... er ... given all of the above, I'm now running a pair of Samsung 120GB drives for data. Naturally, I still have the X15-36LP I bought from Mutiah to boot off.

Stereodude

Not really a
Tea said:
Given that people here are telling me that the Samsung 160s run a bit hot, and a bit louder too perhaps, and given that there are issues with drives over 128GB, and given that there is only one other line of drives besides the Spinpoints that I trust, and given that this other line is the Seagate 15,000 RPM drives, and given that they are small and very expensive ... er ... given all of the above, I'm now running a pair of Samsung 120GB drives for data. Naturally, I still have the X15-36LP I bought from Mutiah to boot off.
You're kinda wimpy for an ape. :p

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Stereodude said:
sechs said:
Not sure how you've come to this conclusion.

So are you saying that this effects anyone with ATA disks larger than 137GB, irrelevant of where they write their dumps or have their hibernation files?

Stereodude

Not really a
sechs said:
So are you saying that this effects anyone with ATA disks larger than 137GB, irrelevant of where they write their dumps or have their hibernation files?
It's my understanding you can't see more of an ATA drive than 127gig in XP prior to SP1 irrespective of what you're using it for.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
No, I haven't noticed anything about the 160GB drives, JoJo - bar the problem Windows 2000 has with 128GB and over, I mean. I just read it here.

Essentially I don't play with hard drives any more, just plug them in and expect them to work flawlessly. You know how Tannin used to post to report if a drive died on us, and update the numbers? His last post on that topic was months ago. Err ... sometime last year before our trip, so 6 months or more. Tannin hasn't stopped posting reports, we just haven't had a sold-by-us Samsung drive die since whenever we posted the last report. Considering that we sell enough to keep two full-timers, two part-timers, and one imaginary ape in paid employment, that's a fantastic record.

We don't play with drives. We just sell Samsungs and they just work.

(And yes, when it comes to data security, I am a whimp!

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Stereodude said:
It's my understanding you can't see more of an ATA drive than 127gig in XP prior to SP1 irrespective of what you're using it for.

Yes, except that I'm talking about the ATAPI.SYS update.