winXP: Windows cannot load the locally stored profile...

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Hey guys, I keep having a problem with my girlfriends account.

On a clean install of XP, when I try to logon I have been getting the error message "Windows cannot load the locally stored profile: Insufficient security rights or a corrupted local file. Windows has logged you in with a temporary profile any setting you make will not be saved."
Followed by a detail notice that says something about access denied.

When I hit OK, I get another error box saying that the user profile could not be found. (im paraphrasing this one)

This keeps happening on my girlfriend's account on my main PC. It only happens to her account. I have deleted the account and recreated it a couple times, but it keeps coming back. Her files are obvisouly sitting on the harddrive and I can clearly see them where they should be. Not only that, but she does have full access over her own user files.

I don't understand why this keeps happening on this install Because this is the same setup that I've used on the last couple installs, the only difference I can think of is that I'm using ICQ 2002 instead of 2001 or 2003.

I found an MSKB article on this problem and it suggests recreating the account (somethign I've already done)

Is there anything you guys can suggest for me? Should I just reinstall winXP?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Followed by a detail notice that says something about access denied.

More accurately it states that access is denied because a file is in use by another process

I have set my gf up from power user to administrator and rebooted.. this seems to have fixed it, but I'm not sure if it's temporary or not simply because setting her up from basic user to power user and rebooting "fixed" it once before...

Is it possible that something that's running on my account is preventing her from logging on?

honold

Storage is cool
this is almost definitely a perm issue under docs & settings

reinstalling should not be necessary, worst case would be smoking the user dir(s) and recreating the user

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Mercutio said:
Check permissions on the "all users" folder under \d&s

I was thinking permissions issue before too, that is why i went from user->power user->admin

However, all users (both the users group and everyone group) have read access, along with list and execute

And power users have basically all access except "take ownership"

and as I said prev., my gf has full access over her own stuff. She is now a member of both the "users" group and the "administrators" group (as am I) No permissions have been denied so I don't see a permissions problem with this.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
One of the things I remembered doing on this install that I had not done on the others was that I installed "super fast" fast user switching. This seemed like a possible culpret, so I removed it.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
honold said:
this is almost definitely a perm issue under docs & settings

reinstalling should not be necessary, worst case would be smoking the user dir(s) and recreating the user

Just wanted to say I smoked the users dir and recreated the user many many times.. no good.. eventually the problem came back even though I made her an admin... I decided a clean format was neccessary, since then everything ahs been working fine.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I read recently that TightVNC might cause this problem to occur by not releasing the .dat when closing. Does this scenario apply to you?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
no. VNC viewer may have been installed, but it was not running and the server was not even isntalled (didnt use tight VNC on that computer at the time I beleive.. realVNC instead).