Wireless networking

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Because the SO won't let me run cable through the roof and across to the detached garage/shed--she said something about the place looking like downtown Beirut--to hook up my system inside to the boxes in the shed will require a wireless solution.

As I know jack about wireless, what do I need? What I want to do is have a wireless connection inside the house, and one inside the garage. I want to hook this connection (garage) up to a switch and run cable to all the boxes I need to connect. Possible?

Also, the shed/garage is metal. I think this may be a problem.

I've got the 802.11 bit. Is "g" the flavour I want? I thought "b" was 11Mb and "g" was 54Mb--correct?

TIA

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The metal structure may be a pain in the ass. But yeah. Get an AP - one that supports WPA, please, and a NIC - I haven't found the USB ones to work better, but they're supposed to according to some people - and you're in business.

You might need a signal booster or amplifier to make your signal carry through a metal structure. It's REALLY hard to predict what will and won't work. Keep that in mind when you buy your equipment.

That, and WPA support.

And G is 2.4GHz, 54Mbit. Don't be fooled by "speed boost" stuff. It mostly works like ass and is extra-prone to interference because it uses two channels instead of one.

Also, be prepared to hate your neighbors and their baby monitors, microwaves and cordless phones.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
What Merc said, but what about HomePlug powerline networking instead? It's still more expensive than wireless but not that much.

Also, realize that claimed Mbps tend to overstate the throughput you are likely to actually see. I usually halve it when comparing to wired networking.

If you have a DECT cordless phone (or even a cell phone), see if you can operate it within the shed ...

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Does the shed have any windows? If so, consider orienting the workstation's antenna so it sits in the window to reduce the interference from the metal.

Also, consider an antenna that can be mounted outside the shed. That way, the only holes to be drilled is a small one for the antenna wire. Of course, this assumes you use a wireless NIC that lets you use an antenna-on-a-wire like this.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
LiamC said:
Because the SO won't let me run cable through the roof and across to the detached garage/shed--she said something about the place looking like downtown Beirut--to hook up my system inside to the boxes in the shed will require a wireless solution.

How about burying a cable?