Wireless Outlets and Devices

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I see plenty of the IOTs, but most are connected to the big data companies (Google, MS, Amazons, etc.) or subsidiaries. Are there non-Play apps that work directly from the phone to the device and not on the internets or other aspects of the data mining? I would be using an old phone with this. Thanks.

sedrosken

Florida Man
I had been toying with the idea of setting up a VM on my server to run an open-source smart-home device controller, but I don't even know what I'd want to use with it. Call me old-fashioned, I get jumpy when my printer makes an unfamiliar noise.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I want relay-based switches for computers, NAS, Ethernet. My luck is not so good with the simple wireless RF kind as they become unreliable or fail after a while. The X10 or similar are crap, too. Been doing that for 30 years and not either.
I'm currently using old-fashioned physical switches on the desktop, but the wiring will become unbearable and I need to add a couple of devices.
It's rather like this, but much older. https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Under-Monitor-Protection-MT-6PLUS/dp/B0000512E1

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You can either build a local IoT controller with an RPi or buy a device like a Hubitat Elevation. Or use a VM, I guess. Down side to building your own is that the USB transceivers for different protocols cost more than a Hubitat does.

I have Google, Amazon AND Apple voice assistants in my house, but both Google and Amazon can talk to my Hubitat just fine, and both are smart enough to negotiate and understand everything it's doing without me having to do anything on their platforms. Not sure about the HomePod. Doesn't belong to me.

Hubitat has a more capable programming configuration than the routines I could set with Amazon, and it can understand more that's going on with my network, so for example I use phones joining my wifi network as a trigger for a lot of stuff. For example, there's a color LED bulb by my front door that indicates who is in the house. We're all on different sleep schedules, so this is very handy. I also use it to turn off the AV systems when I'm not home and separately to turn off all the video game consoles if both my roommates are both out. I can also use Sunrise and Sunset times or forecasts from Open Weather Maps for different things.

Hubitat supports basically every major home automation protocol, although that mostly means Matter, Zigbee and Z-Wave right now, and in some cases there are cut-outs for devices that don't conform to those standards but still get support somehow. I do a lot with smart bulbs, light sensors, speakers, motion detectors, my thermostat and power strips. I also have an Amazon-branded clock that synchronizes to running timers and a sous vide dingus that I've never actually used as a smart device but I'm aware that I can.

As far as bulbs go, I have mostly 75W-equivalent Hue color bulbs, with cheaper but just as bright Wyze color bulbs for utility needs like my roommate detector. Most of my sensors are generic Zigbee gear.

Over the last five years I've had two LED color bulbs die but both of them were replaced under warranty. The bulbs definitely aren't cheap but they go on sale regularly.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It should also be mentioned that nearly all internet security cameras that don't run through ONVIF route data through Chinese servers, since the common infrastructure APIs for that stuff are controlled by Chinese companies. Very few security camera systems talk to smart home systems directly, but companies like SharpTools make integration systems that can collect data from those sources as well as existing controllers and devices.

Handruin

Administrator
In terms of outlet and light switch devices, I've stuck with Lutron. They don't require internet to work and gain additional functionality with their bridge device. It does connect with the various other platforms if you want to extend its functionality. I use it mainly with google assistant.

ddrueding

Fixture
I run a bunch of devices made by Shelly (including outlet control and smart bulbs), and they work well with my Home Assistant virtual machine with the SkyConnect USB for all the Zigbee/Matter stuff. Funny enough the least reliable for remote control is the expensive Nanoleaf stuff.

If you want cameras and don't want the data to leave your place, the Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro/Special Edition and their PoE cameras is probably what you want.

Handruin

Administrator
Reolink also makes PoE cameras on par with ubiquiti that have an NVR option for local 24x7 recording.