Would you like fries with that order, sir?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Thank you for the links Jake. The RAM has some good pictures and information, as well does the Perth Mint. The other site describing each character memorialized on Australia's banknotes is good reading. I like the $5 banknote with Andrew Barton Paterson and the $100 banknote with Helen Porter Mitchell. Besides the excellent illustrations on those two notes, the stories are fascinating.

I think I’ll work in a sample of those two notes the next time I work on my international note collection.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
hmm.. are those people senators.. prime ministers.. presidents... or just important figures in history?

The only non president on a paper note of ours that I can think of is Benjamin Franklin ($100 US)... I think all the rest are dead presidents...

Aparently we have/had a $100,000 bill although the most I've ever heard about was a $10,000 bill. The largest I've personally ever had was a $100, but I've seen a $1,000. Banks will normally give you amounts in $20's if you don't specify... even if you're withdrawling several hundred dollars. (this has been my experience using 2 diff. banks)

Although there are a few non-presidents on our coins

1c .... Abe Lincoln (16th president i think)
old 5c Indian chief (actually a composite of 3 indian chiefs)
5c .... Tomas Jefferson i think... president
old 10c ... Mercury (the mythilogical god)
10c Frank Roosevelt (president
25c George washington (1st president)
50c John F. Kennedy (president)
non round $1 Susan B Anthony
old large $1 Dwight Eisenhower (president)
Morgan dollar $1 Lady Liberty
new $1 Sacagawea

You will probably not see the old 5c and 10c coins in circulation anymore, but you can still get them at cost through dealers and occasionally find them around. Morgan dollars are pretty rare, although the proof $1 silver coins that the mint makes now might actually be based of the same design.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Don't forget the Indian head penny.
p1863.html

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
oh yeah... there is the VERY old indian head penny.. but there is also a penny that has wheat on it similar to the one pictured.... I ahvent seen one in at least a year, but when I worked as a cashier I saw them all the time.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Has anybody noticed that the newer pennies are less orange becasue of the smaller amount of copper they use in them? I have a couple 1982 pennies and they actually looks strange because of their color

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Sorry, The mint has not changed the amount of copper. What you are seeing is an oxidation process. All pennies eventually turn dark brown, but there are some intermediate colors that can occur. My favorite are red pennies. One see's red in old copper pennies that have been stored such that oxygen has not had access to the penny for a long time (in a sealed holder)

Sol

Storage is cool
I could probably explain exactly what chemical reactions cause the whole multi-coloured effect in transition metals (like copper).
But unfortunatly my group made fart-gas out of the chemicals used in that prac instead... We were very proud...

Theoretically though it should be possible to turn those pennies both blue and green by storing them with sulfur or other common chemicals just after giving them a good clean...

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
What you are seeing is an oxidation process

That's not correct.

One of these pennies was in mint condition and was left open. The other was uncirculated and was sealed in original packaging.

Upon scratching at the surface of the metal you can tell that the color is, in fact, not the same as todays pennies.

Either the mint changed the color of the metals or they changed the mix. I was told that they changed the amount of copper they use.. I believe this was second hand information I got from an employee of the mint.

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance
Tea said:
...And speaking of taste, there ain't nuffin like the taste of chips with salt and vinegar. You can try this at home, but it won't work. Here is what you do: buy some chips (or make your own). Not those anemic little McChucks style of thing, real ones, like you get from a fish and chip shop. They should be about 1.5cm square. Now, go to your kitchen cupboard and pour some vinegar on them. Taste. White vinegar or brown, it doesn't matter. Yuk!

The secret is, you have to do it the same way they do it at the fish shop: you put it on while they are still really, really hot, and you wrap them up and let the flavour seep right through. That's the first part. The second part is, you have to think like a fish shop owner. These guys never buy vinegar. Why should they pay for it when those great big jars of pickled onions that sit on the counter, once you take the onions out, are full of vinegar? That is the vinegar you use. That, and only that, will give you the proper flavour...

Tea:

The actual secret is to use MALT VINEGAR. Do NOT use any other vinegar for chips, meaning wine vinegar or apple-based vinegars.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've been in the U.S. 17 years, and have never seen a $2 bill. If i hadn't posted the link to the Bureau of Engraving, I'd never have believed it really exists......

.Nut

slo crostic said:
Didn't they try a $200 coin back in the late 80's? I remember hearing about it but I never saw one.

Are you talking about the South African Krugerrand?

rarecoins_1721_1227000.jpg

.Nut

Tea said:
I take it, then, that malt vinegar is the stuff they use to pickle onions in?

A Professional Pickler probably uses malt vinegar to pickle onions, but then again, except on rare occasions, I don't eat pickles of any kind.

Malt vinegar is normally a pretty strong (acrid) clean vinegar. Wine vinegar and apple vinegar are both pretty tame vinegars in comparison, and usually have something added like a spice or even sugar.

slo crostic

.Nut said:
slo crostic said:
Didn't they try a $200 coin back in the late 80's? I remember hearing about it but I never saw one.

Are you talking about the South African Krugerrand?

rarecoins_1721_1227000.jpg

The coin I was thinking of was a $200 gold coin released in the mid 1980's in Australia, although I don't think it ever ended up in circulation.
After doing a bit of a search I came across this site.
The gold Australian kangaroo, at the bottom of the page, looks like the coin I was thinking of, but there doesn't seem to be any information about when it was first minted.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
mubs said:
I've been in the U.S. 17 years, and have never seen a $2 bill. If i hadn't posted the link to the Bureau of Engraving, I'd never have believed it really exists......

If you work in a place that takes in alot of cash like a department store you will get one almost everyday.

fool

The perfect chip; secrets thereof.

Its got to be cut from a great big King Edward potato.

It’s got to be deep fried, no ovens allowed.

Fried, moreover, at between 180 and 190 Celsius in beef dripping, (best veggie alternative I’ve found is ground nut oil).

If you don’t get this right then not even malt vinegar can rescue the chip,
of course when you’ve got chips like these its almost sacrilegious to sully them with any condiment other than malt vinegar or my ex-girlfriends home-made garlic and lemon mayonnaise ( she never would give me the recipe :( ).

from
Mr. Fools big book of didactic cooking ordinances :wink:

fool

The perfect chip; secrets thereof.

Its got to be cut from a great big King Edward potato.

It’s got to be deep fried, no ovens allowed.

Fried, moreover, at between 180 and 190 Celsius in beef dripping, (best veggie alternative I’ve found is ground nut oil).

If you don’t get this right then not even malt vinegar can rescue the chip,
of course when you’ve got chips like these its almost sacrilegious to sully them with any condiment other than malt vinegar or my ex-girlfriends home-made garlic and lemon mayonnaise ( she never would give me the recipe :( ).

from
Mr. Fools big book of didactic cooking ordinances :wink:

fool

:oops:
there are some days when my isp makes me wanna reprogram their servers with an axe. :frusty:

sorry for the repetition

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
fool said:
:oops:
there are some days when my isp makes me wanna reprogram their servers with an axe. :frusty:

As someone who knows the remote access passwords for several large boxes at his ISP that say "Cisco" on them, let me just say that "reprogramming servers" isn't as much fun as it sounds. At least with IOS 10.2.

I quit doing that sort of thing a long time ago, though, once I almost made a really big "oops" that would've required some poor schlub re-loading the default config...

skeet

What is this storage?
Those among us

Hands up all those people who got there little achievements badges, wore their little uniform, said "Any drinks with that" and colluded in the chip crime.:excl:

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Tannin said:
Complete the following verse:

I was wheelin down the freeway at just the cruising power
The state trooper clocked me at 90 miles an hour

He tried to pull me over so I stepped hard on the gas
It's too bad this Ford pinto can't go very fast

Dïscfärm

By the way, the US Treasury Department will be releasing $5, $10, $20, $50, $100, and god willing, $2 notes in various hues sometime next year. I can't wait to see a blue $20, a yellow $5, or a pink $50.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Dïscfärm said:

By the way, the US Treasury Department will be releasing $5, $10, $20, $50, $100, and god willing, $2 notes in various hues sometime next year. I can't wait to see a blue $20, a yellow $5, or a pink $50.

That's too bad...

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Dïscfärm said:

They're actually going ahead with the $10 and $5 change too. That was just under consideration previously. I was under the impression that the $2 and $1 notes were not included in the NexGen series.

Dïscfärm

blakerwry said:
That's too bad...

Well, it should have a long time ago -- like, yo, the 1950s.

Nonetheless, the US retailers *will* quickly take a liking to this colourful "innovation" <snicker> because they will be able to sort and count their paper money like never before -- guaranteed.

PS: Dutch paper money is the best.

Dïscfärm

Buck said:
...I was under the impression that the $2 and $1 notes were not included in the NexGen series.

Correct, the $1 will never be part of this elite group. Quite some time ago I heard that the $1 note would actually use xerographic technology for the reverse side image (!) instead of traditional plates with ink. Otherwise, the $1 note ("bill") would've been history right about now, due to the cost of manufacturing it.

...They're actually going ahead with the $10 and $5 change too. That was just under consideration previously.

That's a $10 and $5 coin (assuming change ± = "loose change"), correct?

I have not heard a peep from anyone about $5 and/or $10 coinage. I get those "bronze" $1 coins every now and then -- which is a bit more often than $2 notes. Will the $5 and $10 be larger in size or will they actually contain some real precious metals?

Navigation ist wenn man dennoch ankommt

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Dïscfärm said:
...They're actually going ahead with the $10 and $5 change too. That was just under consideration previously.

That's a $10 and $5 coin (assuming change ± = "loose change"), correct?

I have not heard a peep from anyone about $5 and/or $10 coinage. I get those "bronze" $1 coins every now and then -- which is a bit more often than $2 notes. Will the $5 and $10 be larger in size or will they actually contain some real precious metals?
Navigation ist wenn man dennoch ankommt

For my part, that should've read: "They're actually going ahead with the $10 and $5 banknote update too?"

Dïscfärm

Buck said:
For my part, that should've read: "They're actually going ahead with the $10 and $5 banknote update too?"

Well, that's a bit of relief. I'm not too hot on carrying around such "expensive" coinage, if you know what I mean (There's gold in dem couches!).

<putting on my conspiracy cap>
But, then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they *were* planning $5 and $10 coins so that they could then eliminate 1¢, 5¢, and 10¢ coins AND RAISE THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING SO THAT THEY CAN GET MORE TAX MONEY.
<taking off my conspiracy cap>

Maybe the Treasury Department should introduce a $3 "bill" and make this one pink. The required dead person for the front should be a cross-dressing J. Edgar Hoover. :erm: