Would you sue: Amer w/Disabilities Act?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Ok, so the Brinks Armored truck was blocking both of the disabled parking spaces at the local BoA bank branch my mother uses...again! 6-12mo ago, I called and talked to the LA Branch manager to complain, he said he was sorry for my mother's "inconvenience" and that he would speak to the employees in that truck (took down the truck # to relay to him).

Well it happened again, I tried to wave these inconsiderate DH's to move their damned truck, stopped lengthwise blocking entrance to *both* disabled slots!

Again I called the same branch manager, and this time he vaguely recalled my prior complaint but allowed that "due to security risks, they have to park as close to the entrance as possible". And he averred that I would probably be calling him again to complain, because of that fact.

I'm calling BS, blocking disabled parking spaces, even for a stopped Brinks Armored truck during a currency pickup/delivery is in violation of any number of laws, both federal and state, as well as possibly local.

http://www.disabilityaccessinfo.ca.gov/lawsregs.htm

http://www.ada.gov/pubs/ada.htm

I should probably just contact an attorney the next time it happens after taking pictures of the incident with my new PnS Canon S90IS < soon. I hate lawsuits, but this branch manager and the drivers think they can do anything they damn well please, that they have some legal right 'for security reasons', lol.

I'm going to send the branch manager an email detailing the incident as he requested, and he said he might go out to the location to see. I told him there is space across from the disabled slots, where these guys cold stop, not more than an additional 20ft from the entrance. But I'm guessing the guys driving the trucks don't give a FF, and the manager must not have told them to *not* block the disabled parking spaces...both of them!

But I'm going to follow up the email with a duplicate hard-copy written letter Certified/return receipt requested USPS, addressed to the local branch manager, and I'm thinking I should cc: to both the US Brinks and World headquarters. Not sure whom I address it to, probably customer relations department? Would they have an in-house legal dept, how would I find out?

http://www.brinksinc.com/Contact-Us.html

Man this really pisses me off, sure any disabled person could park another 100ft farther away, but that's not why the laws were passed! My mother is not *lightly* disabled, she has chronic pain in her hips, a 'cronky'/wobbly knee where the cartilage has worn out, recently her back is bothering her too (which is why I was there to help with her lifting herself in and out of the car, something that causes pain in her joints from time to time). But these lazy arse drivers don't want to stop anywhere but exactly where they think they have all the right to, as close as possible to the entrance.

I wonder if there is a Brinks 'driver training manual' that specifically states the company policy, is that they stop the truck as close as possible to the entrance of any business, disregarding any laws for disabled persons? I bet they don't, but they should be sued if they are negligent in this type of scenario where employee's think they can stop the trucks anywhere they damned please, after multiple complaints about it to the local branch manager.

Handruin

Administrator
Next time, park in front of the truck and let them wait for you to move the car when you're finished your business at the bank. Otherwise, find a new bank.