Writing an image file to a new drive in Acronis Home 11?

ddrueding

Fixture
This shouldn't be this hard.

Acronis Home 11 is installed on my machine
I connected the failing drive via USB and created a backup of the drive
I can see the backup file on the external I saved it to
I've connected the new, empty drive to the system
Windows sees the drive

All I want to do is restore the image to the drive, and I can't figure out how. Starving, but I can't leave for lunch until I get this started...maybe that is why my Google fu is failing me.

Thanks.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If the drive is completely empty, you need to go through Tools and tell Acronis to set up the New Drive so that it's initialized enough for TrueImage to interact with it.

ddrueding

Fixture
Great, thanks....now what? When I choose the "Disk and Partition Backup" Where I made the backup and choose "Recover" it doesn't ask me for a destination?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Are you using the flash drive version? I always use the flash bootable USB drive as the installed version of 2011 and 2012 has just an awful GUI. If you did not "add" the new target drive TI may not see it.

ddrueding

Fixture
The GUI is awful.

It won't say where it is recovering to, I'm just going to let it run. Here's hoping it isn't restoring over my system drive or my backup drive?

ddrueding

Fixture
"Time Remaining" has been "less than one minute" for an hour. I'm just going to go home and get my hardware SATA drive duplicator. I can't believe Acronis sank so far in such a short period of time...Ghost was awesome for many years before Symantec ruined it.

Mercutio

In my experience that usually means there's a hardware issue with one of the drives participating in the operation.

ddrueding

Fixture
The one I'm copying FROM is about to fail SMART, but I was able to get the image off no problem. The target drive (brand new Intel 330 240GB) has perfect numbers.

Mercutio

To be honest, I like the GUI of the Linux boot environment better than the stupid GUI they moved to in Windows. Dealing with the boot environment is mostly just a matter of being familiar with it, but it hasn't changed much in the last three years.

In any case, it's also reasonable to expect that a disk imaging product might behave a little oddly when failing hardware is added to the mix. TrueImage acting up is usually my first sign that one of my classroom systems has a failing drive.