Writing something

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
mubs has exhorted me to write something. I had some free time this weekend and nothing in particular better to do, so I sat and tried to do exactly that.

Sadly, I couldn't come up with much of any interest.

This is as far as I got. Not very.
Normally I wouldn't share something like this (it's got naughty words. You've been warned.), but today seems to have been a slow time, and two minutes of reading won't kill anyone.

Again, I don't know why I'm posting this. Just something to do. Also, the formatting is a little odd. phpBB doesn't seem to have a TAB character, and there are some line breaks in weird places. I didn't do it.

Nice night. A little foggy outside, but that's for the better, anyway.
Day after a new moon, too. Also in my favor. One last drag on the cigarette and it's off to work. It's all clear, from everything I can sense.

The ground's pretty warm. Even Washington gets enough sun in August to make the earth beneath my feet something between 28 and 35 degrees. That's good enough for me. There's a few rabbits and squirrels and deer and other small critters within a half-mile of me, and several of my senses tell me that the meat boys with guns on the other side of the wall are just about as far away from me as they're going to get. They sound like a goddamn herd of elephants, each and every one a stomp-clatter-rustle-stomp on audio, an indescribable cacophony to sonar and air-current sensors. Then again, everyone is.

Once I stomp the cancer stick out, it's time to start PAYING
ATTENTION. so I ramp up the sample time on each of my twenty senses. The butt on my boot is a pleasant 142 degrees, I note. I hear an owl swooping on a field mouse, 800 meters away. My chromatograph tells me the asphalt I'm standing on isn't good for my meat parts. No shit. The electric field on the fucking fence is screwing with some of my handier inputs. That annoys me on general principle. The talent on the other side is using ceramic weapons. Hard to get a read on those - but their body armor's mostly plastics. I can smell it. One of them's got an FM reciever tuned to "Kevin Smoov into the Morning" on KMSN.

It'll be a fun night in Redmond.

The price was certainly right. One hundred million Eurodollars, half up front. A nice, quiet place in a third world country, with the government of my choice. All on them. But, I told them, I'd do this one for much, much less. Twenty minutes of negotiations later, I had the opportunity thousands of people would sacrifice a major internal organ for.

"The Modern Howard Hughes" they said, referring to the man who survived more assassination attempts than Adolph Fucking Hitler.
Poison pies. Car bombs. ATF raids on the mansion... not to mention the time his body-guards shot him. Not that anyone's supposed to know about that one. The air strike was the last straw. Forty of the best and brightest engineers in the world killed, and nothing even got close to the damn bunker. He lives in the bunker now. Supposed to be double-thick layers of lead and reinforced concrete, fifty feet thick. He makes his own AIR for chrissakes. Nobody but him down there. There's supposed to be secret ways in, but security is so solid that their campus is blanked on spy satellites. He owns the software that runs them.

He doesn't own my software. My firmware to be more precise, and that's exactly what I am. I was meat. Now I'm not. Not entirely. Thirty
two RISC processors, on eight parallel circuits, each running at 72GHz, run most of my essential functions, embedded in two-dozen places along my nervous system.

At one time, I didn't think I'd ever understand it. Now that I have it, minute details of their existance are fully within my grasp. I have to.
Every motion I ever make is optimized. My machine heart beats in time to the requirements of my "Organic Management" subsystem. Nanofiber muscles absorb energy in any form provided. I feel the world around me, the ebb and flow of a telecommunication ocean. I see colors that no other human has ever seen. So I have a simplified digestive system and a few new holes in my head? It's worth it. I gave up those major organs. Now I get my chance.

There are three of us in the world right now, the fruits of eleven years of R&D in government labs so secret that the engineers working there didn't even know who was funding them. Of course, the first time the goddamn presidential administration changes measurably, our funding dropped to nil and they just dumped our sedated asses on street corners. Somehow, I don't think any of us are still derelicts.

I call up Callas' Tosca on my internal audio channels. "Vissi d'Arte" blares in at 110 virtual decibels as I hit the free-fire zone around the fencing. It's burned to bare earth a kilometer from the outermost fence. There are watchtowers, too, and enough different sensor arrays to even give my kit a jolt.

The watchtowers don't bother me a bit.

Micronuclear devices are exactly the sort of thing that make the leaders of first-world nations piss themselves in their sleep. The football-shaped Pakistani grenades that qualify me as a nuclear power must be keeping at least a couple of spooks in every nation in the Northern hemisphere employed. Some joker stencilled "Throw Very Hard" on outside casing of this one. Nuclear grenades are suicide weapons, of course. For most people. Two kilos is just a bit too much to toss
around like a frisbee. Anybody thinking otherwise need only look to the glassy shores of the Ganges. Still, I manage just fine to clear the 900 meters between me and the fences.

I hit the dirt the instant before I'm blinded. Internal clocks show that .0753 seconds elapsed while most of my critical systems rebooted.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
That's excellent Merc. We should give you a column on the front page to continue the story in. You could write your book in serial fashion with a new "episode" every week. Be sure to copyright it though.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Well done, Mercutio.

Was there any particular existing author whose style influenced you in the writing of that?

Mercutio

Not that I can tell.

Probably. I just can't see it. It's not really long enough to have a style, anyway.

Mercutio

I kind of hit a wall where nothing I thought of sounded interesting enough to write. I'll give it some thought and see if I can think of more to write.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Reminded me of Richard S McEnroe - The Shattered Stars. Great work Merc. Kudos.

Mercutio

EMP is a bitch. No one’s listening to KMSN any more. Ever. The consequence of a nuclear near miss is a gift that keeps on giving.

Well, that and the backrush of air rushing to fill a vacuum. The men on the other side of the former fence learn that as air pressure stabilizes itself in a wall of flame.

I shut off my sense of smell before the stench of parbroiled lungs can become a distraction.

Those guards that are left are a little too busy dealing with the consequences of massive gamma-particle bombardment, 3rd degree burns and a local atmosphere that my meat-brain seems to have labeled “crunchy” to notice my mad dash around the hotspot and onto campus.

Good thing, too. The satellites are at least 40% better at target acquisition than previous analysis had suggested. Relativistic hydrogen atoms are exactly the sort of thing that makes my business here so essential.

It all started with Teledesic, of course. “Internet-in-the-Sky”. Low Earth Orbit “communications satellites” that just happened to have mass drivers and a nuclear dead-man’s trigger. Astonishing to think that the public actually believed that the first strike – the one that killed 40,000 people in Finland – was anything but malicious.

By the time Homeland Security realized that every system in its massively redundant “secured” networks was either backdoored or incapable of function without Microsoft, it was too late. The third-stage satellites were given the deployment codes and EMP’d everything else out of the sky.

The 500kg rocks that fired at the same time as the nukes were all the assurance Bill needed to ensure that Microsoft was the only power on Earth with a space program. Combine that with Microsoft software running two out of every three hospitals and nuclear power plants in the Western World and suddenly everything Gates wanted seemed somehow reasonable.

My own data storage indicates that at least 61 ICBMs, some containing upwards of 200 submunitions, were launched in response. This is based on seismic analysis. Obviously that didn’t go over very well. Nothing got even close to Redmond. Every couple of months thereafter, the world has gotten word of some Chinese or Russian peasant finding a warhead in a field or cow pasture.

Relativistic hydrogen ions only missed me by 19.41 meters. An invisible beam, followed by a lightning storm as the atmosphere protests its violation. There’s a 1.2m crater at the position I occupied just 3.00 seconds ago.

I had calculated that the debris cloud would buy me a bit more time than that.

LIDAR shows some activity at nearby building entrances. I manage to get visual confirmation just in time to see first-responders emerge from their barracks. Eleven different senses confirm that they’re in various states of undress, largely out of the carbon-fiber armor that might’ve been able to help them. Once.

Internal audio switches out Puccini for Wagner. Ride of the Valkyries might’ve been appropriate but the AI goes for “Siegfried’s Death and Funeral Music” instead. Some parts of myself are apparently a little more pessimistic than others.

My personal weapon is as experimental as the rest of me. 11kg, made for my hands only, it propels an iron slug weighing .226 grams through a series of magnets out its barrel at a speed exceeding 150,000m/s. Barely c-fractional, perhaps, and highly refractory, it is nonetheless potent for someone who can aim with sixteen different senses.

Teledesic WARSAT-28 manages to miss its second shot as well. Nowhere near my trajectory, it explodes the top floor of what my internal GIS claims was an office or dormitory. Perhaps their imaging isn’t so good after all.

Changes in air pressure notify me of the first incoming rounds of hostile fire. Ceramic H&K A8150s. Area-suppression weapons. One barrel fires straight, the other, 5 degrees down, left or right of the primary. They’re great for crowd control and other target-rich environments. These clowns are using them with standard plastic bullets. I don’t even bother to dodge the 7% of apparently-accurate, or at least lucky, fire. Carbon fiber works both ways.

Still, multiple point sources of incoming fire indicate that it’s time to remove the meat completely from the loop. Let tightly-optimized genetic imaging subroutines and multiorder threat-assessment programs do their jobs.

Besides, it gives me more time to think.

fool

Learning Storage Performance
This is fun, and damn you can write.
If I may be so bold as to offer a suggestion for the next instalment,(please say there will be a next instalment), it could be interesting to switch to the boy Gates’ perspective of the attack, I’ve always been kind of morbidly curious to know what his heads like from the inside.

Mercutio

I’m only given an instant to “myself” before I’m shunted back to lower-body neuromuscular control. I haven’t actually felt my human leg in almost three years.

Threat control drops all organic control as CPUs redline. The result gives me the doubly unpleasant sensations of shitting myself and cardiac arrest. Ops isn’t even responding.

Still, the message is clear: Keep moving. I’m an Olympian sprinter having a heart attack in a hail of fucking bullets. Not, I think, one of my better days.

I/O crossbars join my CPUs at the 100% mark. A rubber bullet ricochets off my cheek. More luck for the home team. I pass a message off to RPC_TacThreatQueue. The asstard with the best aim is gonna be next to die.

To a human brain, there’s no warning for something like a hypervelocity stream of protons and neutrons. It’s beyond human sensation. Like explaining color to the blind, or schadenfreud to a goldfish. All I’ve got are neurological impressions of tachyon pressure and near-field red-shift.

Put another way, I’m an Olympian sprinter having a heart attack in a hail of fucking bullets, and I’m playing “High Noon” on a cosmological scale.

“High Noon” starring Gary Cooper in an adaptation of “The Tin Star”, a story by John Cunningham, by HUAC-blacklisted screenwriter Carl Forem^U

Of course, there are times I hate being a walking computer.

I fire first.

It fires second.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I can the headlines now:

JK Rowlings yesterday's news.

Griffith (AP) - University students have taken to trading chapters of famed underground writer Mercutio's latest release via PHP. Illegal copies found on Kazaa, Morpheus, and WinMX networks mark the latest in a series of premature electronic distribution crimes that have marred every major literary release since Rowling's famous Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

In a strange twist of irony, this electronic crime has been perpetrated by exploiting a flaw in Microsoft's Secure Digital Rights Management (SDRM) system in the current version of Windows NP, the first operating system to be designed exclusively with Microsoft's Very Trustworthy Computing (VTC) regulations in mind.

Microsoft is featured as a villainous corporate entity in Mercutio's stories, using its unbreakable monopolistic control of the software that runs civilian, government, and military computer systems to exert unjust influence and control over an increasing global territory.

When Microsoft designed VTC in conjunction with the Department of Defense, they boasted that the ability to identify and track every TCP packet emanating from an individual's computer would prevent piracy by fear of prosecution. Each TCP packet is marked with a code unique to (1) the individual's computer configuration (2) the individual's DNA, and (3) the content contained within the packet. This allows the Business Software Alliance, the RIAA, and the DoD to track the content flowing through the Internet (as well as who sends and receives said content) to prevent piracy and monitor for terrorist activity in accordance with Homeland Security, FTC, and VTC regulations.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Mercutio said:
Astonishing to think that the public actually believed that the first strike – the one that killed 40,000 people in Finland – was anything but malicious.

:mrgrn:
I probably deserved that for harassing you to write some more ;)

Great stuff!!!!

More, we want more!

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Wonderful stuff Merc! I'm enjoying this a great deal. I was about to post to say "No! Stop right there, it's perfect" after the first one, but you have comprehensively proved me wrong.

BTW, if I was going to mention a style, I'd go for Brian Stableford, only on acid, with perhaps a touch of Zelazny.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Yes, Merc. Please continue.

Come to think of it, we have a few resident writers here at SF. Tannin fancies himself a Down Under Tom Clancy, no? :)

Share your writing talents with us my fellow SF patrons!

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Zelazny (R.I.P) Tea? Gordon R. Dickson perhaps, but Roger Z? Awesome Merc. Gripping.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Good story so far Mercutio. I admire anyone who can write fiction like that. I've been told I can write but I haven't written anything non-technical in years. Problem with writing fiction for me is just getting started and then shutting out the world until it's finished. I have a half-finished story in my head. If I ever get around to writing it I'll give everyone here a first read. I think everyone has a good book or two in them. A possible work of non-fiction I've thought of would be titled "What's wrong with the world and how can we fix it?". This would consist of multiple chapters, with each being devoted to topics I've covered in my posts on SF and SR.

In any case keep it up Merc. I'm dying for more.

Mercutio

No glint of sunlight across my badge.

No jangle of spurs or steel-resolved glares from 50 paces up the street.

Nanoelectric relays fire over the switched fabric of a muscular network that would do an RBOC proud. OR, NOT, XOR, AND, the hard logic of sense data combined with the stunning approximation of the human supercomputer. There is a single bead, the single physical reminder that I and Sheriff Kane are not so different, rolling down the small of my back.

My aim was perfect. Its aim was perfect. .226 grams of needle-shaped iron liberate five megajoules from a particle stream 11.82km above the surface of MSWashington.

I can pull a trigger a hell of a lot faster than it can discharge tertiary capacitors, refill and repressurize its firing chamber, process out atmospheric disturbances and reacquire me as a target.

So I do.

Relief and hemocompound course through my body as the machine resumes something a lot closer to normal operation. WARSAT-28 winks in visible spectra for the first and last time since its deployment. It might be the lack of oxygen in my meatbrain but TacThreat seems almost cheerful as my railgun makes the arc from 44 degrees inclination to 7.3.

Mr. “Trying to Ruin my Pretty Face” and eleven of his closest pals learn over the next three-quarters of a second that the borrowed time they were living on was payable with interest.

The basic plan was to survive the opening bell at least long enough to take down the closest satellite. It’ll be 1541 seconds before another swings over the horizon.

As far as monomaniacal geniuses bent on world domination go, Gates wasn’t bad. So what if he murdered Belgium? Public opinion as measured by MSNBC showed that the second VX-laced Banana Cream was clearly an act of war.

Gates was mostly fair, aside from some minor changes in worldwide wealth distribution. The masses – mostly the masses who had no use for computers – loved him for bringing medicines and food to even remote villages. Populism is an amazing tool, even for someone as uncharismatic as Bill.

On the world stage he was magnanimous, selling electronic communication services to the nations of the world. Wars started. Chaos ensued. Microsoft Peacekeeping forces arrived and picked up the pieces. Civil war in Lithuania. Mexico-Texas. The Vatican Uprising. Kurdistan-Turkey. The Sino-Siam conflict.

Corruption in the data stream, apparently. In each case, the nations involved were buying datamining, communication and intelligence services and were presented with information that demanded that all-but demanded immediate hostile response.

Apparently, a few years into the Chairman’s reign some kind of child psychologist made an offhand comment in an obscure technical journal, describing Gates’ behavior as similar to a bored player in a computer simulation game. No one knows anything more; the woman, the journalist she was speaking to, their entire families, the journal, its dead trees printer and every electronic copy of the interview simply vanished, four days later. Just wild internet rumors now. Wild rumors and 71 people missing people.

Mercutio

Obviously, I don't write this stuff quickly. I write a few sentences as the mood strikes me. I'm not working from any kind of plan or outline or anything else. Nor do I have any training as a writer. It's straight from my imagination to the wordperfect document where I'm doing this.

I'll try to post more as I get a reasonably substantial block of text. A few paragraphs, anyway. I can visualize everything I write, but description doesn't seem to fit well with narrative here, so I hope it's coming across. I'm not really secure in writing for an audience.

Tonight's fit of writing was inspired by the odd, fast-paced music of Blue Man Group.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I like the installments format.

too bad it's not really what one would call episodic. (maybe if you released slower and in larger quantities)

I like that you stated the music, it helps me paint the picture.

keep it up Merc, I'm looking forward to your next post.

Mercutio

I'm moving this weekend, LiamC. As in "I will be dwelling in my new house as of Monday night". I don't think I'll have much time to put into writing for at least a little while.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I'll have a cold beer for you too Merc. Is this a forced move or voluntary? ie moving to better digs?

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Excellent. Moving still sucks but it is exciting moving into your own place.