Xbits: tex_elite_80211_lb = no back button

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Since Xbits updated their website about a month ago, the back button has become disfunctional (using ie6). If you look at the back button history it shows "tex_elite_80211_lb" and then below it the Xbits page. What the heck is tex_elite....? I checked the source but no reference to it, and really, I have no real clue when it comes to html and the like.

I can't stand it when sites disrupt your browsing ability :x

CK

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Okay, I edited the host file to get rid of the Intel Centrino add (most likely offender considering the 80211 reference) but no dice - Intel ad is gone but the tex_elite_80211_lb thing still seems to hijack the page and render the back button useless. Very annoying.

CK

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I can tell by all the responses I recieved that this was well up there on everybody's "things I care about" list, but nonetheless I finally figured it out myself. So for those who might have had the slightest bit of interest or sympathy:

The offending hijacker was "view.atdmt.com". Zeroing that in the host file results in unmolested IE6 browsing ..... I also zero'd "click.atdmt.com" and "spt.atdmt.com", which by themselves get rid of the banner add but are ineffective at preventing the hostage situation I have outlined above.

-----
Fallout Boy: Jimmini-gillicers Radioactive Man! Is that the last we've seen of Advertising Man?
Radioactive Man: No, he'll be back. But we'll be waiting for him. Until then, Fallout Boy, naive web users can still surf the net in peace....Now, up and atommmmmmm....

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Buck said:
you should really develop your talents into three personalities, and thus post under three different aliases
I'll consider that, but it'll definitely have to be for my own characters as opposed to those I rip off from the Simpsons.

The back button wasn't an issue in Phoenix.
I figured Mozilla/Phoenix/Firebird would not be effected, never got around to confirming that myself....anyways, problem solved for now.

CK

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
No. I highly doubt my opinion matters more to them than the rubles they see from atdmt.com. Anyways, as I stated, tis no longer a problem.

CK

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
CityK said:
No. I highly doubt my opinion matters more to them than the rubles they see from atdmt.com. Anyways, as I stated, tis no longer a problem.

CK

Not to harp on it but that's really a defeatist attitude. They may not know it's a problem. How much effort does it take to send an email to webmaster@xbitlabs.com? You have the power! :cheers:

Handruin

Administrator
Take for example Howell, he uses that power all the time here, and I just ignore him. Opps..I mean, I get right to work on it. :pirate:

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Hmm, interesting point Howell. I did, initially, search through their user forum to see if it was mentioned before, but I didn't find anything. However, I was searching then for "tex_elite....". I'll give another quick search later on for mention of "atdmt" and their dispicable tactic.

I guess I kind of viewed it this way:
- I don't actively participate on their site; I only read their news clips and enjoy their reviews/articles that interest me.
- I respect their right to earn a living, and if it happens to be made via compaines whose banner ads hijack a function of your browser, so be it...I can always choose not to continue my "patronage" (and I mean that in the loosest of contexts) of their site.
- In so using a browser, or placing settings for it, whose security/privacy functionality is so easily overwhelmed, I myself am partially to blame. It shouldn't happen in the first place (and this, of course, parallels Coug's "why I hate Intel" thread), but fact of the matter is it does. Accordingly, one must take the appropriate course of action - either by battening down the hatches or choosing a tighter ship (browser) to begin with.

So, to make a short story long, I'll check to see if anyone's mentioned it. If they have, I'll leave it at that - xbit has been fairly warned. If not, I'll fire off a quick email, from a dummy account, informing the webmaster of this deplorable issue .... hopefully I won't recieve too many solicitations from Nigeria by the time I check back.

CK

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Let me close the issue with this:

They will not want to do something that will drive people away from the site because then they lose views and ad revenue. Every visit to their site gives them statistics that they use to sell ad space. If you visit their pages, they are making money, theoretically.

In my view, anything that occurs based on a visit to their site is their responsibility, ads included.

Most publications view reader response views in an amplified manner. That is to say, they count one issue letter as ten. They assume that there were nine other people who feel the same way. I'm don't know if this paradigm still holds with regards to email because of its ease of use

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I'm glad we don't have any ad banners on this site. I hate the side scrolling flash ads on cdrinfo.com's forums.

I was very shocked when I visited their forums (1st time in a month or so) and say that the ad was for a product that illegally defeats pay-per-view cable authentication.

Ads are definately the responsibility of the website. It is their duty to make sure the ads are appropriate for the site and are not alienating to the patrons.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
blakerwry said:
I'm glad we don't have any ad banners on this site. I hate the side scrolling flash ads on cdrinfo.com's forums.

I was very shocked when I visited their forums (1st time in a month or so) and say that the ad was for a product that illegally defeats pay-per-view cable authentication.

Ads are definately the responsibility of the website. It is their duty to make sure the ads are appropriate for the site and are not alienating to the patrons.
i meant cdrlabs.com