XP install woes & the path to frustration, VIA hell.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
It's back! My once yearly bastard PC build has reared it's head. I suspect many here know exactly what I mean and have a periodical bastard build of your own. Yes, it's the one where you happily agree to build a PC for a thrift needy friend cuz you like to help them save their money, only to have it become that bastard build. I’ve spent 6 hours long the last two nights trying to install XP on two VIA based boards for a student friend of mine, and all to no avail. I need help please!

The System:
  • CPU: AXP 2100+
  • MOBO – new Gigabyte 7VM400AM-RZ
  • RAM – new Infineon 256MB DDR333
  • HDD1: new 80GB SATA 7200.7
  • HDD2: 20GB WD BB as master
  • CDROM: Aopen 16/40 CDRW as slave to WD HDD
  • VID: Leadtek GF4/4200
  • AUD: new SB Live Value
  • PSU: new 400 FSP PSU
All BIOS defaults except SATA controller. Drive handling set to IDE instead of RAID.

The Problem:
  • Installation of XP fails due to file copy errors/failures copying XP setup files. Never the same files, sometimes only two sometimes dozens and there's no pattern to associate with it when it occurs, which it can do anywhere between 10% to 99% into the list :evil:
Now I would have much rather just gone and bought my mate a NF7-S2 and (hopefully) be done with it but I know my mate well enough to know I’d be doing him disfavour because no matter how genuinely happy I would be to do so for him, he'd feel rotten about it. He’s insisted on paying for the parts and already feels guilty that I won’t accept anything for the build.

It was time for action then. Since Flaky RAM is the primary cause for these errors I thought i'd start the process of elimination with the RAM.

The List of Failures (each with their own failed XP installs):
  1. another Mem-tested RAM module
  2. replaced 80pin IDE cable
  3. tried new LG DVDROM
  4. tried another install CD
  5. dropped FSB to 100MHz and Mem timings to their lowest workable settings
  6. tried new 450W ANTEC
  7. removed VID & AUD cards, disabled onboard LAN, AUD & USB
  8. attempted install on either HDD with other removed (SATA cntrl disabled for WD HDD)
Concluding the mobo had an issue, I picked up a new Aopen vKM266Pm and discovered it had the same problem… Yay, lucky me! Just then I remebered, in desperation no doubt, that AXP's have been known to cause this probs so I tried another CPU which unsurprisingly made jack all difference. After that I jumped on the VIA support forums but didn't expect to find much since I’d not had these problems on the few KM266&400 mobo’s I'd used in builds previously. Well, so much for what I thought I knew because it is indeed a not too uncommon problem as higlighted by the many tales of same woe. Most respondents suggested “Fault RAM” however as in my case it is often not the solution. Several respondents were adamant that the these chipsets must have their optical drives connected as master and only with 40pin cables so I tried that too if only to further annoy myself.

And this is where I am now. Annoyed. Very. +.

Have I missed something, or is there a trick I’ve previously fluked when installing XP on KM266/400 chipsets or am I now left with the quite unlikely possibility that both mobo’s or RAM modules have the same fault?

Cheers

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Have you tried the install with all non-critical components removed; i.e. yank the SB Live & 2nd HD? Also consider, for the duration of the install, disabling mobo fluff that's not needed right away (onboard NIC, USB, etc.). Make sure no printer is attached.

And wasn't there something about installing XP to an SATA drive? A driver/patch issue? I haven't done that yet but I thought I read something about it.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
Fushigi said:
Have you tried the install with all non-critical components removed; i.e. yank the SB Live & 2nd HD? Also consider, for the duration of the install, disabling mobo fluff that's not needed right away (onboard NIC, USB, etc.).

Yup, did all of that in steps 7 & 8. I forgot to mention that I updated both the BIOS on both boards and tried the RAM in slots both slots too.

A thought, the RAM modules are single sided so I'm gonna give some dbl-sided RAM a go.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Do you have to press F6 and install drivers for the SATA HD?

Try installing XP with SP2 slipstreamed into it. SP2 installed a boat load of drivers and updates.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You probably have a bad 7VM400. I've probably built 50 or 60 machines with that particular board without the problems you're describing (over an 18 month period, which is basically the whole life of that board).

There are no issues with that board and windows XP installs.
There are no issues with the KM400 chipset.

Have you tried switching the data cables you're using?

And yes, you do need to install a driver early in the XP install process to set up onto a SATA drive.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Did you actually run memtest on the boards you are installign with? I'm still thinking faulty RAM or a RAM incompatibility is to blame on this one, but all the other suggestions have been great.