Youtube performance issue in SLI system

ddrueding

Fixture
In one of those colossally first world problems, my dual Titan X rig sucks at Youtube playback. Audio (toslink) is flawless and it loads quickly enough, but there is significant screen tearing and frame dropping going on. Playback at 4k is fine, but anything less is awful. Does anyone know if they use a different codec or GPU handoff or something at lower resolutions? Vimeo is fine at any res.

And of course, googling for "SLI Youtube" is useless.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't have issues with YouTube when SLI is enabled but I also don't have Titan X. Are you using Adobe Flash for YouTube playback or are you using the HTML 5 playback? What happens when you right click on the video and select stats for nerds? Can you post what codec it shows? I'm making an assumption that you're using a 4K monitor with a video at 1080P when this happens. Is this under windows 8.1?

ddrueding

Fixture
Turn off SLI when you aren't using it?

I pretty much always have a game in the background. Usually Kerbal Space Program. Disabling SLI requires killing 8-10 processes (Adobe, Firefox, games). That would be sub-optimal.

I don't have issues with YouTube when SLI is enabled but I also don't have Titan X. Are you using Adobe Flash for YouTube playback or are you using the HTML 5 playback? What happens when you right click on the video and select stats for nerds? Can you post what codec it shows? I'm making an assumption that you're using a 4K monitor with a video at 1080P when this happens. Is this under windows 8.1?

timestamp seconds 65.178
1920x1080, 4332 average kbps, 100% volume
TagStreamPlayer, HTTPS/DASH/VOD, 0 kbps
10 stage fps, 0 video fps, 99 dropped, 0 kbps
software video rendering, accelerated video decoding
NaN db, 1 audio factor

Handruin

Administrator
I'm guessing the issue might have something to do with the game running in the background. I notice occasional stutters in video playback when both my GPUs are folding at home. There might be some weirdness with the Kerbal game and the Unity Engine it uses under the covers.

I'm happy the HTML 5 video rendering solved the issue for you.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Does Kernel Space Teen Hunger Force somehow need more computing power than a mid-90s supercomputer when it's not the foreground application?

Handruin

Administrator
Does Kernel Space Teen Hunger Force somehow need more computing power than a mid-90s supercomputer when it's not the foreground application?

I doubt it but perhaps it conflicts with Adobe's crappy flash software for rendering video. If the HTML 5 video works fine, I blame Adobe.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
Nah, just when (f***ing) Flash is running.
I'm not a big gamer but if I forget and leave a Flash game running, I can't play some 1080p games on my 7970.

ddrueding

Fixture
KSP is capable of bringing this entire rig to a crawl in many ways (single-core, multi-core, GPU) depending on how I am abusing it. Increasing the resolution of the physics model (single core), docking craft or running kOS (programmable autopilot) for multi-core, and the occasional failure during launch explosion (GPU).

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
In one of those colossally first world problems, my dual Titan X rig sucks at Youtube playback.

First thing you should do is buy two more Titan Xs and go quad-SLI, just to eliminate performance as the reason for the issue.

LOL.