Zizco buyz Linkzyz

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I actually wonder what impact this will have on public perception of of linksys.

In my own estimation I've found linksys products to be very high quality, better than comparable equipment from say DLink or 3Com. 3Com products are more expensive, though, based on name recognition (I think), and I've had customers turn down Linksys hardware based on the fact that it isn't 3Com or Intel or whatever.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Code:
Cisco will operate Linksys as a division and will continue to sell its products under the Linksys brand name
Most of the general public probably won't have a clue, and probably won't give a damn, buying the product that the "advisor" at Best Buy or Circuit City or CompUSA or Fry's told them to buy. The more savvy ones won't also care, other than hoping that the Cisco suits interfere only to the extent of setting high-level goals / directions for the new division.

3Com is pretty much an endangered animal (for reasons already known). Maybe they'll try to buy Dlink. Or maybe Dell will, in retaliation, because as a Cisco division, I'm sure Linskys will stop dealing with Dell because there's bad blood between Cisco & Dell.

Hey guys, wanna start a networking products company????

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I have to admit, I was surprised by this one. I think Cisco got a massive bargin at $500M. I wonder what effect Cisco will have on Linksys. I think Linksys products are generally good quality and at even a better price. Perfect for the consumer market. I hope Cisco does not increase the prices of Linksys products too much or even do something worse.

Handruin

Administrator
I too am surprised at this purchase. However I think it makes sense in Cisco's eyes. They don't have an affordable consumer grade product that I'm aware of. So, instead of reinventing the wheel to make cheaper products, why not buy someone who has already done so.

I've been very happy with my linksys purchases. I have 2 of their 10/100 NICs, which I paid $10 for and I couldn't be happier. I also have their 8-port 10/100 switch and it works great running 24x7.

I do hope that linksys' prices do not increase because of this purchase. My second hope is for linksys to come out with an affordable 8-16 port 10/100/100 switch. With iSCSI getting closer to mainstream, I think it would be great to replace home NAS devices with home iSCSI arrays and connect them all via a 10/100/1000 switch. ;)