Something Random

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Even better for you you bastard, you can soon get the cheap drinkies from the Uni bar I'm assuming.

Well, that's the plan! ;)

I actually got my University placement offer 4 weeks before the normal placement offers are made, and it was made personally from the head of the department for which I will be studying. I guess my application and references impressed someone?

I don't know how the system in the rest of the world works, but here there are 2 major dates for which University placement offers are made (one in Jan and the other in Jun). After the main dates, secondary offers are made a few weeks later for those that missed out on the first round of offers. Rarely, a University may offer a placement outside these dates if they want the applicant studying with them, and they are normally offered with a scholarship as well!

I'll be studying IT (sort of obvious), majoring in Software Engineering focused on systems development. I'm leaning towards mobile applications and with my experience in RF engineering from previous work/study, and a few contacts at Oracle, Nokia and Sony Ericsson, should get some good intern places during the summer break periods.

So in fairness to my current employer, I've given 6 weeks notice instead of the required 4 weeks to help them find someone to replace me and hopefully allow me some time to get them trained in the basics of what needs to be done. But as with recent interviews, it'll be interesting to see what can be found. The problem we have is, is not the number of applicants, but the quality of applicants. It's often amusing to see someone who has completed an 8 week 'boot-camp' course on MS products and their A+, with little experience thinking they know it all and demanding near 6 figure salaries, to be offered AU$30K for entry level work. But the biggest problem we've found is overstating their knowledge and experience on their CV/resume. But someone to tackle in the coming weeks.

In other news, I got my results for an IQ test this week. (This is part of the study into my son and his high IQ score). I also put down a deposit on a bike to ride to Uni as well, and should have it by the end of the week. (I currently have a company vehicle, which will be lost once I leave their employment).

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I never asked, but are you studying in a related field or you're moving to something entirely different?

Answered in the previous post.

But that is something my wife did (radical change)...
1st degree was Accounting when she finished high school. She has become very successful in this field, and has risen rapidly to have worked as the senior accounting auditor for multi-national Australian based companies.

2nd degree was Child Psychology but never got to work in the field as just as she was completing her degree her ex-husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer of the lungs and throat and passed away shortly after.

And her 3rd degree (of which she has 12mths left out of 4 years), is in Veterinary Science (bovine). She placed her studies on hold, due to falling pregnant with our first child.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Originally Posted by ddrueding
Lived with a couple for a few months, went on vacation with a lesbian couple and their kid once. Nothing special, really. Better than going on vacation with straight women you aren't dating, they seem to be just a little less crazy (in my experience).

Well it is a very large difference in cost (80%). I could not justify going alone.

:blue: The trip is cancelled. Something about the economy, blah, blah, blah. Where to go now...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I hate Louisville with the passion of a million exploding suns.

I have seen Iron Man 2 nine times and Robin Hood twice.

ddrueding

Fixture
At one point (different company) I had to keep reminding a C-level that his password was under his mousepad. He couldn't even remember where he'd written it down!

LunarMist

At one point (different company) I had to keep reminding a C-level that his password was under his mousepad. He couldn't even remember where he'd written it down!

That is an entirely different problem, maybe emotional distress, brain trauma, degenerative neurological disease, etc. Of course occasional, momentary forgetfulness is a normal part of the aging process. :alb:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Have the butcher cut some for you. That is the way to get the good stuff.

Yes but when I say bacon they think fatty strips of extra fat.

Here's what the wiki says:

Bacon is prepared from several different cuts of meat. In the United States, it is almost always prepared from pork belly. Elsewhere, it is more often made from side and back cuts, and bacon made from bellies is referred to as "streaky", "fatty", or "American style". The side cut has more meat and less fat than the belly. Bacon may be prepared from either of two distinct back cuts fatback, which is almost pure fat, and pork loin, which is very lean. Bacon-cured pork loin is known as back bacon.

Ah, I see now. Aussie bacon is specifically called side cut pork loin bacon? Is that what I should the bucher for? Here in the super markets tend to sell the pork tenderloin as a cut itself, nice bit of meat which is actually well priced, but I want it attached to the rest of the fatty goodness.

LunarMist

The Google has gone bonkers; it's playing a vintange video game. :batman:

Handruin

Administrator
My $40 "Performance Tools" drill finally died after doing everything I asked of it for 4 years. Quite remarkable, really.

Replaced it with $300 worth of DeWalt goodness.

Somewhat unrelated to the topic at hand, but the link to Aubuchon hardware surprised me. The first establish hardware store was in Fitchburg MA where I went to school. I even stayed in one of the dorms that was named Aubuchon as a tribute. Given you're on the west coast and found tools there surprised me.

On topic, my father has a similar DeWalt set liked the one you linked and he loves it. I only have a Hitachi corded drill that dims the lights when it's working hard.

ddrueding

Fixture
Somewhat unrelated to the topic at hand, but the link to Aubuchon hardware surprised me. The first establish hardware store was in Fitchburg MA where I went to school. I even stayed in one of the dorms that was named Aubuchon as a tribute. Given you're on the west coast and found tools there surprised me.

Congratulate them on their SEO. I Googled for the model number and they were the first hit.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I remembered! Middle bacon is what I seek. They have canadian bacon here but that is just completely round like a breakfast muffin.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I've been tempted by the lithium ion drivers (small, portable, good endurance) for working in a datacenter.

LunarMist

Indeed. Press the "insert coin" button again to get 2-player mode! Happy birthday, PacMan!

I must be the only one that never played that game. I thought it was Ms. pac man that was so famous. :cheers:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I must be the only one that never played that game. I thought it was Ms. pac man that was so famous. :cheers:

I've never played Pac Man either. Getting to go to an arcade was a very rare treat when I was little and Pac Man didn't have any space ships or explosions, and therefore seemed a poor use for a precious quarter.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm ashamed to admit I played the Google version until I scored about 60,000. :(

I never played it with coins because I thought it was ridiculously simple and poor entertainment for the money. Defender was my tipple, I could play for an hour and a half on one coin. Mind blowingly difficult - even the quality of the buttons and joystick would sink you, and I noticed that just one drink ruined my performance. Fantastic game.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm ashamed to admit I played the Google version until someone started talking to me. :p

Galaga, Tron and Gaunlet got my money. But mostly Offroad; 'cause you could soup it up. I must have spent tens of dollars on those.

LunarMist

I've never played Pac Man either. Getting to go to an arcade was a very rare treat when I was little and Pac Man didn't have any space ships or explosions, and therefore seemed a poor use for a precious quarter.

That explains it. I never played video games in an arcade. The last video I had was an Atari with cartridges around 1976. I was already getting too old for games. :clown:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
So after my wife runs into a curb and shreds the front right tire and dents the wheel rim on her Elantra (no worries, no injuries), today I go to put the high pressure donut on.

At which point the stubborn 4th nut fucken shears off at the hub.

Tine for a new front hub (and apparently new bearing to boot).

Drinking before 9 AM again. Bottoms up.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Any safety issues in driving on a donut, with only three nuts on? I'm thinking tow it to avoid potential risk.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Any safety issues in driving on a donut, with only three nuts on? I'm thinking tow it to avoid potential risk.

Stay below 50km/h and it *should* be fine. And no hard turning either or excessive start/stopping.

Insurance wise, get it towed. (Most insurance companies will deem the vehicle unserviceable in that condition, and wont acknowledge the claim in the event of an accident).

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm less worried about the missing nut (but it was there when I started, honest) than the fact that the car's been in a collision serious enough to break a wheel lug. It would make me wonder about brake integrity etc.

Handruin

Administrator
I probably wouldn't have driven it on 3 unless I was within a mile or two from home.

ddrueding

Fixture
That one would come off so easily would make me seriously worried about the rest. As Time said, brakes, suspension, frame? How hard was this impact?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I probably wouldn't have driven it on 3 unless I was within a mile or two from home.

There were 4 on after the hit. Drive home was less than a mile, very low speeds, and half of that was thru school roads. I couldn't change the tire at the location as school buses come right by there. My wifes car and she drives like a nutter so God knows what speed. The wheel wasn't destroyed tho so it was prob 5/10 mph max.

The thread broke off when I was trying to loosen the nut with the lug wrench. It was torqued like a mofo (put on at the tire shop when the snow season started).