Something Random

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I certainly don't have an issue with general public owning firearms, however there are a lot of idiots out there... and that's the part that scares me.

For quite a while, the Oz gov has been making it harder to obtain a firearm license as well as own firearms. For general public living in metro areas, I believe that you must be a member of a local gun club, must be endorsed by a member of said gun club to hold and highly encouraged to store our personal firearm/ammo at the gun club in their safe. For people who live rural, there are less restrictions on ownership providing your total land area is greater than 10 acres. (varies from state to state).

IIRC, the current restrictions are no-full automatic weapons, some semi-automatic weapons are banned, and no military rifles either.

While there are firearms available on the black-market, they are very hard to come by, so we don't see a great number of firearms on the street.

Most house invasions are done without firearms, and AFAIK under current law, you may only use the same amount of force to repel an invader for self-defence reasons. So if they use a base-ball bat as there weapon, then that is all you are allowed to repel them with (eg a blunt instrument). It's a very grey area of the law, and the courts hope common-sense will drive each case on a case-by-case basis.

PS. My second last day at work, before embarking on 3yrs of fulltime Uni! Well, it's only going to be 2yrs, as I was offered a job last week which I have accepted, but the position doesn't start for 2yrs. (It was an offer I could not refuse).

ddrueding

Fixture
PS. My second last day at work, before embarking on 3yrs of fulltime Uni! Well, it's only going to be 2yrs, as I was offered a job last week which I have accepted, but the position doesn't start for 2yrs. (It was an offer I could not refuse).

Very awesome Chewy! Not only the school, but already having a gig lined up for when you finish? How cool is that?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Is the job offer conditional on acceptable Uni grades? If not, I would be setting up in the Uni bar for two years :)

How are the HECS costs these days? Back when I did it was like $2500 per year (before they upped them based on courses).

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Is the job offer conditional on acceptable Uni grades? If not, I would be setting up in the Uni bar for two years :)

How are the HECS costs these days? Back when I did it was like $2500 per year (before they upped them based on courses).
Nope, grades (other than actually passing) are not a primary condition on the job offer. I'll be starting the job in 2 yrs, and completing my last year as a part time student. The only downside to the role is relocation interstate.

For the degree I'm doing, it's roughly $3K-$3.5K per semester (ea 6mths). Or roughly $20K once I graduate. (each unit has different costs associated). However with scholarships, that amount can be reduced significantly. (Full Dean's scholarship covers any/all HECS debt associated with the course).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Just for comparison, a semester at Purdue University here in Indiana in 2010 is $10 - $15000 as a public institution, not inclusive of housing, books or extra fees.

Our health care and gun laws aren't the only things here that are fucked up.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Just for comparison, a semester at Purdue University here in Indiana in 2010 is $10 - $15000 as a public institution, not inclusive of housing, books or extra fees.

Our health care and gun laws aren't the only things here that are fucked up.

That does seem ecessive.

Here's the costs for the State University of New York:

http://www.suny.edu/student/paying_tuition.cfm

About $6200 per year for tuition+fees for an undergraduate degree.

Gun laws are being fixed by the Supreme Court. Health care reform is outside their purview unfortunately. Far too many lobbyists in DC to get any decent reform done. A little scaremongering of the elderly for good measure and any laws can be defeated.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
We need to get rid of the junk courses. My son had to take Aztec history to get his Mechanical Engineering degree. WTF! Plus some other nonsense courses. This just drives up the cost just to keep some worthless teachers. (tenure)
We also need to prohibit professors from insisting that the sudents use a text book that they wrote. These slim balls do yearly "revisions" which makes used books unavailable to the students....you must have the latest revision. $$$$$$

I need to stop now, my blood pressure is starting to rise.

Mercutio

I fucking hate fucking the fucking fourth fucking of fucking July. Fucking.

I've gotten a total of about four hours of sleep so far this week.

And Bozo, taking a stab at making an engineer into a well rounded human being is far from useless. If your son just wanted a job he could have gone off to trade school.

Mercutio

Oh? So you don't have neighbors that let off loud fireworks every 30 seconds from the last week in June until the third week in July?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
And Bozo, taking a stab at making an engineer into a well rounded human being is far from useless. If your son just wanted a job he could have gone off to trade school.

Becoming a well rounded human being is pretty easy to accomplish without paying thousands to do it. Besides, I'd rather see classes that can get engineers to not act like robots. ;)

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The "well rounding" should have been done in high school. But there, sports seem to be the most important subject.

ddrueding

Fixture
The "well rounding" should have been done in high school. But there, sports seem to be the most important subject.

The well rounding should be done at home. But we can't trust people to raise their own children anymore. Because those smart enough to do it properly are smart enough to not want any.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
The majority of my "rounding" was indeed done at home, much to the chagrin of my teachers. It seemed to annoy them no end that I really didn't have much interest in the "extracurricular" activities at school. To them, this meant I wasn't well rounded. Colleges basically had the same attitude. Why does being well-rounded mean only partaking of officially sanctioned after school activities? There's a whole world out there outside of school, especially in a large city like New York, and yet this concept seemed to be beyond most of the teachers. Some of my best memories are traveling home on the D train with my friends, and/or occasionally playing in the park after school. Of course, none of this counts for rounding as far as the teachers are concerned.

Another thing regarding "rounding" which annoyed me was the usual "Where I Went This Summer" essay. Apparently trips to grandma's or the local playground or even an adventure park didn't count, but that's all we could afford to do. Again, the teachers just didn't get it that it was beyond the means of some of their student's families to travel. By the time I was in high school summer travel was pretty much just going for long bicycle rides, or maybe exploring the subway system on weekends when I had the free transit pass.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
In a pretty unexpected move I've now joined the ranks of the unemployed :(
Sorry to hear that. :(

Honestly, the more I read about the state of things the more scared I get. Too many well-qualified, educated people I've known have hit the unemployment lines. Well, I hope you find something else reasonably soon.