Something Random

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I'm sitting here waiting for my next class to start... A little bored. It's on "Emerging Technologies" and their use in society.

The Tutorial was okay, but the lecture following was so-so. I've never had the internals of a computer explained so haphazardly, not to mention the few incorrect details mentioned regarding why 32bit Windows can only see ~3GB RAM, and explanation of RAID levels was mediocre and at times incorrect.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
My last unit for my degree ended up being "Time Travel". The grandfather paradox, watching Red Dwarf and Doctor Who, take home exam you had three days to complete. Good times.

ddrueding

Fixture
I can't even imagine being in a classroom again. It was so unpleasant the first time around, I suspect I would deliver pizzas as an alternative.

ddrueding

Fixture
I was offline for over 6 hours, and the only post was Coug, and he answered his own question?

I'm putting my watercooling rig back together, should be fun. For the last several weeks, I've just been on my Thinkpad.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Weeks? How do you access data during that time? I feel lost without accessible data unless I'm traveling and engaged in other activites.

LunarMist

I can't even imagine being in a classroom again. It was so unpleasant the first time around, I suspect I would deliver pizzas as an alternative.

It is easier for many adults to study without the distractions of youth. :santa:

ddrueding

Fixture
Weeks? How do you access data during that time? I feel lost without accessible data unless I'm traveling and engaged in other activites.

It is just a workstation; no data is stored locally. Switching to my laptop on a docking station to a pair of my displays wasn't a significant setback to my work, just my gaming. Nothing but Railroads! for several weeks, it is a very fun game. ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
I became a very poor student as soon as I discovered that teachers weren't gods, and didn't actually know everything. I was a slow child, this happened around 5th grade.

LunarMist

I became a very poor student as soon as I discovered that teachers weren't gods, and didn't actually know everything. I was a slow child, this happened around 5th grade.

In 4th grade I was kicked out of class for arguing with the instructor about a VTVM. :viking:

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.

I've known for a long time that most teachers/tutors/lecturers only read the content they are covering in the next session, 5 minutes before they start the session.

Being University, I had hoped that the lecturers/tutors were better than that, but I guess I was wrong. I guess it comes back to the old saying, "Those that can't, teach" or something along those lines.

The last tutorial I just had, was rather boring and really can't see myself attending, except for that attendence along accounts for 20% of your final mark. That is, show up, say something constructive each session and you automatically get 20% on your final year mark. The lectures themselves within the unit are interesting, for example the next one is on "Ethics in IT". Should be interesting to see how the academic community views what the real world is about in this session. I suspect, their view isn't what really happens in the real world in regards to ethics.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Most of the stuff I teach is stuff that I genuinely, hard-core KNOW. But in a lot of cases, I do want my notes handy because my notes usually have the best foundation I've found for explaining a topic to someone else. This is really important if I'm lecturing on, oh, encryption technologies or something.

But then, I'm not really a teacher by training or inclination. so maybe it's different for me than other people who teach.

ddrueding

Fixture
But then, I'm not really a teacher by training or inclination. so maybe it's different for me than other people who teach.

I think so. Someone who has someone like you as a teacher is lucky, because you are a professional in the field who happens to teach. That is one of the things I liked about the Haas School of Business, all the teachers I spent time with were professionals who taught a couple classes a quarter on the side. Same with post-doc o-chem research at UofO; they really knew their stuff in a practical "this is how we do it" sort of way.

Mercutio

I think so. Someone who has someone like you as a teacher is lucky, because you are a professional in the field who happens to teach.

Well... maybe. I'm great at lecturing and answering questions, but I can honestly say that does not work for the way everyone learns. My co-workers mix up for individual exercises and crap that I can't be bothered to do.

I drove to Knoxville over the weekend to see my parents. The cost of living is about 28% lower there than it is where I live. There were also fit, attractive women who were not wearing sweatpants with "Juicy" on the ass. There were lots of trees and almost no industrial detritus. It was like a whole different world from what I'm used to.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I drove to Knoxville over the weekend to see my parents. The cost of living is about 28% lower there than it is where I live. There were also fit, attractive women who were not wearing sweatpants with "Juicy" on the ass. There were lots of trees and almost no industrial detritus. It was like a whole different world from what I'm used to.

I notice you neglected to say whether you enjoyed it or not. :) The heat was something fierce.

Mercutio

I notice you neglected to say whether you enjoyed it or not. :) The heat was something fierce.

I'd say the larger issue was the humidity. My parents live on top of a mountain overlooking the valley comprising Alcoa and Maryville. Their front porch includes a vista of the Great Smoky Mountains. The sun and moon rise through the peaks. So that was nice.

I'll get back to you about enjoying it. That sort of thing doesn't really enter in to visits with parents, you know.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'd say the larger issue was the humidity. My parents live on top of a mountain overlooking the valley comprising Alcoa and Maryville. Their front porch includes a vista of the Great Smoky Mountains. The sun and moon rise through the peaks. So that was nice.

Sounds like an easy place to get into photography.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Decisions decisions, found a guy selling a i7 965 EE on a forum but he wants $400 for it. I'd already decided I was going to pick up the i7 950 when it drops to $295 next month. 3.20ghz vs 3.06ghz, think I should do it?

Stereodude

Not really a
Nice. Looks like a new(ish) house? Everything is clean and square...making me jealous. You also have some nice toys there, 19" rack in the corner...
The house was built in 2007 when my wife and I bought it. It's pretty clean, but it's not all that square. The concrete walls in the basement are neither straight nor plumb. My walls should be both square and plumb.

BTW: There's no rack in any of those pictures. :poke:

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I see what he means but they appear to be shelves after a little use of the image zoom plugin.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm planning to get a Middle Atlantic 19" rack to house my HT gear, but I don't have one yet. I'm thinking of a Slim 5 Series. I'm not sure whether I'll go with the 29U, 37U, or 43U though.

Mercutio

What makes you say that?

I was talking to co-workers and we put together some information we each knew as individuals, like the fact that our owner is at the moment covering all expenses and obligations from her own checkbook and looking to finance ongoing operations with debt, but can't get anyone to give her a loan. It's only a matter of time until the plug is pulled.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Is it incorporated? I know that protects the individual but I am not sure what is says about floating corporate debts personally. At any rate doesn't sound good then. You think about where you want to move?

paugie

Storage is cool
Merc,
Times are hard.
My sister has a small business she left to me, my other brother and my wife while she tries to find her fortune in Canada (many Filipinos' fate) and the business is floundering. My wife and I usually cover for salaries and supplies until clients pay up. But it looks bleak. We try to keep it going for the sake of the workers.
Hope your company owner finds a loan, soon.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Merc, sorry to hear that.

I've been in a similar situation many years ago, and in the end I left since the boss's employment cheques started to bounce and we were being paid in cash to compensate. I had a few friends that decided to stay and wait out the poor financial position of the company and unfortuantely it didn't end well for them.

Hence my only advice is to move onto another position.

However my studies are kicking off, and now have 5 assignments all due in 3 weeks time.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
What do you mean? The walls are not structural. The gap between them and the floor joists overhead is intentional.

That's the top plate. Headers are over doors and windows.

Normally the header above the door would be 2by with plywood between, with the width determined by the span. Not a big concern by any means, just something to talk about.

ps. The picture that remained in my previous post was not intended to illustrate my point. I had intended to remove all of the pictures.

Stereodude

Not really a
Normally the header above the door would be 2by with plywood between, with the width determined by the span. Not a big concern by any means, just something to talk about.

ps. The picture that remained in my previous post was not intended to illustrate my point. I had intended to remove all of the pictures.
I just did what was shown here. I do see that this site shows it done as you're suggesting. I don't think it makes a big difference though.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It depends on your temper. I once crushed the wall above a door after I bumped my head on it. I lost my temper and pushed the top for a second. I didn't plan to, but the header above the door broke. I suspect it was made like the one you did, because I don't think I would have crushed two 4x2 on the side.

If you're sure you won't smack your head on it and/or you don't have my temper, then you should be fine with your flimsy header.