iPhone syndrome

Handruin

Administrator
I heard today that the iphone 4S is still 3G hardware, which would certainly explain the results I got. Also, our area isn't 4G, at least according to the local phone guy.

+-

Greg, you must not be reading anything written above. Yes, the iPhone 4S is 3G hardware. It was not slated as 4G. The rare exception of improved performance is on AT&T in select areas supporting HSPA+, but this isn't 4G service.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
I heard today that the iphone 4S is still 3G hardware, which would certainly explain the results I got. Also, our area isn't 4G, at least according to the local phone guy.

+-

You could have read that a few days ago...

"The iphone 4GS isn't actually 4G capable, which on Sprint would require a WiMax capable radio. Just slimy Mac marketing to take advantage of the unknowing."

http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showpost.php?p=154629&postcount=498

I added the G in by mistake, it's called the 4S.

Maybe I'm on your ignore list or something, in which case I'm talking to the ether.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
No US carrier has yet deployed a true 4G network.

You are wrong.

In telecommunications, 4G is the fourth generation of cellular wireless standards. It is a successor to the 3G and 2G families of standards. In 2009, the ITU-R organization specified the IMT-Advanced (International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced) requirements for 4G standards, setting peak speed requirements for 4G service at 100 Mbit/s for high mobility communication (such as from trains and cars) and 1 Gbit/s for low mobility communication (such as pedestrians and stationary users).

On December 6, 2010, ITU recognized that current versions of LTE, WiMax and other evolved 3G technologies that do not fulfill "IMT-Advanced" requirements could nevertheless be considered "4G", provided they represent forerunners to IMT-Advanced and "a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed."

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Marketing screwed the pooch on the 4G thing. When they brand it and it isn't actually an improvement it doesn't breed a lot of trust with the consumer. Whenever they come out with something that delivers and it is still 4G that works what will they call that?

I don't consider HSPA+ 4G, others call it a 3G+ or 3.5G which I think is pretty accurate. As such there still isn't a 4G iphone. Maybe next time.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I will NEVER buy another Appl product, unless it's perfect, cheap, and does something I want it to do, as is, to start with.

Therefore, my attention to detail about the iphone is not something I want to waste brain cells on. If not for my roommate letting me use his, I would never consider it, or even testing one.

Since the phone functions I need are google, Flash, and Android based, the only other OS I'm considering is Windows phone OS, but, my brief experience with that wasn't favorable.

Not surprised I missed the 3G-4G issue with the iphone.

I don't want to be annoyed by what my phone can't do, a situation I'm currently in.

GS

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Marketing screwed the pooch on the 4G thing. When they brand it and it isn't actually an improvement it doesn't breed a lot of trust with the consumer. Whenever they come out with something that delivers and it is still 4G that works what will they call that?

I don't consider HSPA+ 4G, others call it a 3G+ or 3.5G which I think is pretty accurate. As such there still isn't a 4G iphone. Maybe next time.

I agree with you that the ITU has muddied the waters. I can't imagine the circumstances under which they though that was a good idea. :eek:wneddnce: A technical body should know better.

Handruin

Administrator
I will NEVER buy another Appl product, unless it's perfect, cheap, and does something I want it to do, as is, to start with.

OK, that's no problem. Your wish will likely never be fulfilled by any phone make or model.

Therefore, my attention to detail about the iphone is not something I want to waste brain cells on. If not for my roommate letting me use his, I would never consider it, or even testing one.

When you complain about the device and say things like "It isn't fast. It looks like another Apple charge a lot, give you terrible, low standard hardware that barely runs the software." and then say it's not something you waste time on, it's kind of hypocritical to pass judgement on the hardware and software when you won't even take the time to research for 5 minutes. Tests and hands on show that it's fast and runs the software fine. I think you just have a grudge with Apple and want to vent about it any way you can even when it makes no sense.

Since the phone functions I need are google, Flash, and Android based, the only other OS I'm considering is Windows phone OS, but, my brief experience with that wasn't favorable.

Not surprised I missed the 3G-4G issue with the iphone.

I don't want to be annoyed by what my phone can't do, a situation I'm currently in.

GS

Umm...what? You're needs are for an Android-based phone, so you're considering a Windows phone? :scratch:

What issue was there with the iPhone and 4G? I must have missed something?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Apparently. Whoever came up with that obviously skipped the last 100 years of learning in radio frequency communications. Little things like spectrum availability and congestion spring to mind - stupid laws of physics.

Handruin

Administrator
Depends on who you ask, but it's generally either WiMax or LTE are considered 4G telephony services.

I was questioning the definition of 4G as being 100mbit/sec. I hadn't heard that before now.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I was questioning the definition of 4G as being 100mbit/sec. I hadn't heard that before now.

WiMax has max theoretical of 75Mbps down, 75Mbps up.
LTE hax max theoretical of 300Mbps down, 75Mbps up. (Quad antennae setup). More likely to see lower speeds off handheld devices...

But WiMax is shared topology, so that 75Mbps is shared amongst all users.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
That's the definition of 4G service?

I believe that's the spec for LTE-Advanced when mobile. So if one was being pedantic about "true 4G" then that would be the benchmark.

Of course in real life 4G LTE on say Verizon is a significant step up from 3G service, and can in many cases replace a cable broadband connection (assuming you have no download limits).

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think win phone 7 supports flash either? Win 8 browser might not either?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Who cares about flash on a mobile device? My phone supports it and I can count on one hand the times that I have used it.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My first rule of phones is do not buy a blackberry. My second rule of phones is DO NOT BUY A BLACKBERRY! These days BBs are strictly for teenagers and American business men. And with all the cheap, reasonably spec'ed, Android device being released recently I don't think they'll hang on to the teenager market much longer.

Apparently the latest BB OS is noticeably better than the old one but still no where near IOS and Android in terms of usability and it's kind of a one off since the next generation of BBs with have a QNX based OS which will be entirely different. Email and messaging seems to be the only thing BBs do tolerably well, except when they don't do them at all. (E.g most of this week)

I think, now, WiFi is sufficiently available to replace roaming for most people, if not get a local pay as you go data only sim (The iPad has had at least one positive affect) and you're good to go.

With that budget Lunar, I'd go for a Galaxy S II (Or actually I'd halve my budget and then get one but I live in a country with slightly less abusive telcos so YMMV).

How important is the provider vs. the phone? Everyone seems to complain about the AT&T more than Verizon, yet there is no Galaxy on the Verizons. T..Mobil will be out of the business soon and I have not idea how well that transition will go.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm not sure how important it is these days, but it used to be that they all tried to screw you, they all had poor customer service, and they all had random dead spots even in metropolitan areas. The best you could do was find someone who already had service where it mattered to you and choose a company whose plan best fit your needs.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
How important is the provider vs. the phone? Everyone seems to complain about the AT&T more than Verizon, yet there is no Galaxy on the Verizons. T..Mobil will be out of the business soon and I have not idea how well that transition will go.

The potential launch of the Galaxy S II on Verizon has been superseded by the forthcoming launch of the Nexus Prime. In the crazy fast world of smartphone lifecycles, the Galaxy S II is old news.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Handruin:
"You could have read that a few days ago...

"The iphone 4GS isn't actually 4G capable, which on Sprint would require a WiMax capable radio. Just slimy Mac marketing to take advantage of the unknowing."

http://www.storageforum.net/forum/sh...&postcount=498"

Please read the posts in the thread;0

Handruin

Administrator
Handruin:
"You could have read that a few days ago...

http://www.storageforum.net/forum/sh...&postcount=498"

Please read the posts in the thread;0

Huh? What marketing was taking advantage of people? Your link doesn't work.

Sol

Storage is cool

I think Verizon is still CDMA (In most places, maybe whatever they're planning to label 4G will be different), which is nice for coverage but doesn't let you use data and voice connections at the same time. (So no looking something up while you're on a call or using call control applications with a voice call) I'd probably avoid them for that reason but it really depends on whether you need to be able to do that sort of thing. I've heard the same is true for Sprints "4G" network (WiMax I think) but I'm not totally sure of that.

Other than that I don't know of are any technical gotchas. Just coverage, congestion and generally crappy service issues.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Who cares about flash on a mobile device? My phone supports it and I can count on one hand the times that I have used it.

Some post above listed flash as a reason to try win phone, that isn't going to work.

"The iphone 4GS isn't actually 4G capable, which on Sprint would require a WiMax capable radio. Just slimy Mac marketing to take advantage of the

There was no marketing claiming 4G. There was a little bit of news that AT&T wanted it to show 4G as it was as fast as some other phones that were claiming 4G with the new radio and all but far as I know that didn't happen because apple mentioned in the keynote they weren't going to get into that stuff.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
I think Verizon is still CDMA (In most places, maybe whatever they're planning to label 4G will be different), which is nice for coverage but doesn't let you use data and voice connections at the same time. (So no looking something up while you're on a call or using call control applications with a voice call) I'd probably avoid them for that reason but it really depends on whether you need to be able to do that sort of thing. I've heard the same is true for Sprints "4G" network (WiMax I think) but I'm not totally sure of that.

Other than that I don't know of are any technical gotchas. Just coverage, congestion and generally crappy service issues.

At least in the US, Verizon's network has excellent building penetration due to the 700MHz frequency used. When you consider the alternative in Sprint running WiMax at 2500MHz, the difference is stark. Sprint's coverage tends to be patchy if you don't have line of sight to the tower.

Handruin

Administrator
Look at post #522 in this thread.

I'm well aware of that post and well aware the iPhone does not support 4G. I had been reiterating it to you because you haven't seemed to be reading this from either of us. You keep saying there is an issue with the iPhone and 4G...but there is no 4G in the iPhone and there was no marketing saying that there is.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Look at post #522 in this thread.

Lets look at the source article then.

posted: October 4, 2011 at 6:40 am
This is before the 4S announcement. When this was posted there was no 4S that apple would admit to anyone. Apple flat out doesn't talk about anything before release.

Just hours ahead of the Let’s talk iPhone event at Apple’s Cupertino headquarters, the Wall Street Journal taps the people familiar with the company’s plans who claim...

What follows here is speculation. You should probably just stop reading right here.

The people said the device will work on 3G networks, which are broadly in use today and are the standard for the current iPhone 4. AT&T says its HSPA+ network has 4G-like speeds.
-------------
Additionally, the Journal’s blog post has essentially debunked a BGR story from yesterday which speculated Apple Sprint would allegedly get an exclusive on iPhone 5, described as a 4G WiMAX phone.

No 4G for any iphone, well in retrospect they got this right didn't they?

The article is sourcing blog posts and rumors. All complete crap that we would be better off to just skip over. Much better off viewing the keynote / website and getting the facts.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I guess my roommate was misinformed. Perhaps the 4S designation, for some stupid reason, made him think the phone was 4G capable, or actually fast.

His mistake. In that case, his 3G numbers are normal. He's not happy.

Why would you buy what is supposed to be the best phone on the market, replacing his prior iphone 3G, for little or no improvement?

Must be an Appl thing...

Handruin

Administrator
I guess my roommate was misinformed. Perhaps the 4S designation, for some stupid reason, made him think the phone was 4G capable, or actually fast.

Why would you buy what is supposed to be the best phone on the market, replacing his prior iphone 3G, for little or no improvement?

Must be an Appl thing...

Clearly misinformed, and so where you based on your original post. The iPhone 4 (not 4S) has been out for quite some time and it is also not 4G. Did that confuse your roommate also? Your roommate must also have a defective phone if they think the 4S is not a fast phone especially when compared to their iPhone 3G which is three generations behind it. The iPhone 4S is one of the top-performing phones out on the market with regard to processing speed and performance. I've shown you hard proof. Your roommates disliking clearly convinced you otherwise.

Why would your roommate not spend a few seconds to look into a multi-hundred dollar device before buying it rather than buying like a blind consumer? If he/she wanted faster Internet performance, then they clearly did no research. I've already posted information on how poor Sprint's service has been with the iPhone. That is Sprint's issue, not Apples.

There is a significant improvement in the 4S when compared to the iPhone 3G. I don't know where you got your data from, but you're wrong. I think your hate for Apple is clouding your ability to see reality.

If your roommate had actually gotten a 4G-capable phone such as one using LTE and you live in a 4G area, they would likely be complaining of horrible battery life. I suspect Apple is waiting for the LTE chipsets to mature a bit more before putting one in the iPhone.

Sol

Storage is cool

Must be an Appl thing...

Well there are a couple of reasons to buy the 4S over the 3S, it has a faster processor, better screen and better reception. But the biggest thing here is that Apple aren't required to target only iPhone owners and probably haven't reached market saturation of iPhones so while the 4S might only be moderately compelling to someone who owns a 3S (And actually does their research) it's entirely possible that Apples main goal with the 4S was to try and get people to choose it over a Samsung Galaxy SII or HTC Sensation. I know a lot of iPhone owners do seem to upgrade whenever a new shiny is released, but, as much as I dislike Apple, I do find it a bit hard to blame them for this particular phenomenon.

Sure Apple are evil, but I think in the case you might have to accept the possibility that your roommate is just an idiot and that this is, in fact, an idiot thing.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
He's not an idiot, but, English is a second language.
Also, in this area, it is a status symbol. Not to mention it's his work connection, so getting the newest model, in the hope that it is the best for his purpose, isn't an idiot thing.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The potential launch of the Galaxy S II on Verizon has been superseded by the forthcoming launch of the Nexus Prime. In the crazy fast world of smartphone lifecycles, the Galaxy S II is old news.

So what do I do? My old Blackberry goes dark in the next week or so. :(

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Time said:
Personally, I think the combination of screen quality, responsiveness, battery life and light weight makes it hard to go past the Samsung Galaxy IIs.

I stand by that statement, and would add that it also has an excellent SAR score. It's also by far the most popular Android phone, so there will be heaps of support for it for quite some time to come.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
So what do I do? My old Blackberry goes dark in the next week or so. :(

Are you currently on Verizon? What do you mean goes dark? End of contract, time to renew? Is price a concern? Are you eligible for a discount upon contract renewal? Perhaps a company phone on a corporate account?