iPhone syndrome

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
You did that with iFile or something?

Try making your notes sync with icloud? It appears to create a new account for notes in the cloud if you didn't previously mark it as sync notes etc when you did the icloud setup. If you did it. I don't know if it creates a new notes db file but for a while there I had several accounts in the notes app, but once I moved all notes to the icloud account the local account disappeared.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah, iExplorer. I'm just guessing what the real problem is. I can make additions to notes until I close the app and then all edits are lost.

I'll give your suggestion a try. Thanks!

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Or ditch it and go simplenote or plaintext. They both have web sync too.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Or ditch it and go simplenote or plaintext. They both have web sync too.

Haha, yes, I tried PlainText and have moved on to Simplenote. I just don't like to leave trash lying around. :)

FWIW, although PlainText served the purpose of duplicating the data off the phone Simplenote has a web interface for easier data entry. It doesn't hurt that it is beautiful and incredibly easy to use too.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
From gruber at df
Carrier IQ on iOS ★
Good investigative work by Grant “chpwn” Paul. iOS includes a Carrier IQ daemon, but it doesn’t seem to log any particularly sensitive information. Nothing like a keylogger or reading SMS messages. He’s documenting his research on Twitter as he goes.

UPDATE: Worth noting that it appears that nothing gets submitted to Carrier IQ if you opt-out with the “Send Automatically” switch in Settings → General → About → Diagnostics & Usage. That’s deep inside Settings, but Apple prompts you for that setting during iOS 5 device setup, too.

I think I already had that off but worth checking.

Chpwn is a respected member in the jailbreak community.
http://blog.chpwn.com/post/13572216737

Handruin

Administrator
From gruber at df

I think I already had that off but worth checking.

Chpwn is a respected member in the jailbreak community.
http://blog.chpwn.com/post/13572216737

Thanks for the info. I checked and mine was also disabled. I looked through some of the diagnostics and it's interesting stuff in there. Several low memory statements, app crash statements and other access issue (bad password entered). I don't know why it's storing it here since I don't send back the usage and diagnostics, but maybe for debugging if I bring the device in for repair.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
There is a need for this stuff, helps them fix things but the carrier IQ stuff goes way beyond what I thought they were getting. Looks like it isn't as much of a problem on iPhone though.

Remember once the carrier has all this stored somewhere all it takes is a server breach at the carrier.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I wonder if the data collection policies on the iphone were changed back when everyone was talking about how much the iphone spies on its owners or if it's always been that way.

Handruin

Administrator
I wonder if the data collection policies on the iphone were changed back when everyone was talking about how much the iphone spies on its owners or if it's always been that way.

It looks like the answer was a yes, but Apple claims it was an Opt-In:

We stopped supporting CarrierIQ with iOS 5 in most of our products and will remove it completely in a future software update. With any diagnostic data sent to Apple, customers must actively opt-in to share this information, and if they do, the data is sent in an anonymous and encrypted form and does not include any personal information. We never recorded keystrokes, messages or any other personal information for diagnostic data and have no plans to ever do so.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/01/apple-we-dont-use-carrier-iq-in-most-of-our-products-anymore/

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
But who knows? Next week there may be a spyware on iPhone or whatever. If I ever get a smarting phone I will not use it for anything personal. I think it does not hurt to place opaque tape over the camera too.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The opt-in will be that you turned the phone on.

Nobody reads the small print for electronics. Especially those who threw their Wiimotes into their TVs.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
"The more rough edges Apple can force into Android and the more it can make other manufacturers omit functions -- the HTC case is just one example, and Apple has many more lawsuits running -- the more Apple can position the iPhone and iPad as the elegant and desirable consumer choices."

Pretty much why I'll never have another Appl product.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I would prefer this be an example of the need for reform, they shouldn't be allowed to patent something like that.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
They shouldn't be allowed to patent something everyone is already using.
It's like GM getting a patent on the wheel.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
So I downloaded a couple of free music tracks in iTunes (this might be the first time I downloaded music in iTunes). Immediately after hitting download I got a notification on my phone saying that if I enabled automatic downloads then purchases made on other devices elsewhere can automatically download to the phone. Then after unlocking the phone I was immediately taken to the menu option in settings where those switches were. I thought about this for a few minutes about how the whole platform integration works together and wondered who else could pull this off?

Mercutio

The Kindle Fire is disgustingly well integrated into Amazon's services. Unfortunately, that's to the detriment of integration with anything Google has to offer.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Can I patent a device that allows you to bother other people on the train?

Like not taking a shower for a few days?

Maybe someone will patent walking and chewing gum at the same time. ;-)

Mercutio

Did anyone happen to hear This American Life over the weekend? The episode is called "Mr. Daisey and the Apple Factory", a first person account of a Mac Fanactic who made a pilgrimage to the Foxconn factory in Longhua, China.

It's really a pretty mind-blowing indictment of our consumer culture. Not just of Apple, but of everyone. It's well worth the hour to listen to it.

ddrueding

Fixture
I heard bits of it. Nothing exceptionally surprising to me, just a bit depressing.

Really, Apple has the mindshare and marketshare to do things right. Up the costs by 15%, tout the good working conditions, and get their customers to feel even better about themselves. I don't think anyone else would be able to do that kind of thing on their own.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I was under the impression they already did that, the area not being somewhere you can go elsewhere and make more with those benefits etc.

Americans would have a hard time adjusting to it sure.

ddrueding

Fixture
I do agree that trying to compare directly to our labor isn't really possible, but as the show Merc referenced illustrates, there are many easy steps that could be taken with minimal additional cost that would make things much better. It seems that no one really cares, and that is an institutional problem. And while I agree that pay and work schedule standards are different, no one should be crippled within years by performing their job correctly, that just isn't cool.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I am reasonably certain that they could do a LOT of things to improve conditions. But I also believe they have already set an example there of improvements. Apple has massive production facilities focused on a small product line that quite easily draw focus when you want to start poking around over there but they don't directly run them. Foxconn et all have a tight relationship with whom they work for but they are still independently run.

What about the other production facilities there, how much worse do you think things get? Especially some of the smaller ones for products that only get produced for six months or so? You think they are going to invest in making it a decent place to work?

Mercutio

It's kind of a tough call, but those horrible sweatshops and terrible working conditions will eventually create a real middle class. The worst of the worst will move elsewhere seeking even more disadvantaged people to exploit and the cycle will begin again.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
That's a good point I hadn't thought about and reminded me.

Think about the grease monkeys we had here in US mills. Back then they had a huge steam engine or waterfall driving a bunch of shafts mounted in the ceiling of a factory. They had big leather belts running from the ceiling to the machinery below. They had CHILDREN running around on platforms in the ceiling greasing axles and changing the position of belts. They lost fingers, arms and legs when they got caught in those belts. That is when they didn't plain fall down into other machinery running below because of the lack of fall protection and prevention.

We are simply further along in the development cycle. With the examples we set I believe we are increasing the pace of developing nations far beyond what they would have been otherwise, and they will surpass us.

fb

Storage is cool
I heard bits of it. Nothing exceptionally surprising to me, just a bit depressing.

Really, Apple has the mindshare and marketshare to do things right. Up the costs by 15%, tout the good working conditions, and get their customers to feel even better about themselves. I don't think anyone else would be able to do that kind of thing on their own.
Perhaps they've read your mind? I just saw that they've released a report (that I haven't read yet) about the working conditions at their suppliers, you can find it here. They found some unpleasant things and they will seek help from the Fair Labor Association to correct the problems. I hope this can improve things, at least a little bit.