Shaving solutions, or, what do Gilette and all those companies do with all their $?

Handruin

Administrator
As long as sechs doesn't act on his impulses and desires...

Hansen3.jpg

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I think the point is that hair indicates sexual maturity and is a trigger for normal attraction. If you look throughout the animal kingdoms you will see numerous examples in reptiles (scale color), birds (faethers and colors) and mamals (fur/hair).

Handruin

Administrator
I think the point is that hair indicates sexual maturity and is a trigger for normal attraction. If you look throughout the animal kingdoms you will see numerous examples in reptiles (scale color), birds (faethers and colors) and mamals (fur/hair).

Perhaps, but if you go forward with that argument based on hair, consider that when a child begins to grow hair for the first time in specific regions of their body, they would not be considered mature by any means of the law. I understand what you mean from an adult perspective, but I don't see it as a way to measure normal attraction. My preference for reduce hair on a female has no relation to viewing her as younger or as an adolescent. Smoother skin is the desirable trait, and in the interest of the topic title, it's no different than a man shaving a beard and a woman enjoying the smoothness of the skin (I know that isn't the only or prime reason a man would shave).

LunarMist

Perhaps, but if you go forward with that argument based on hair, consider that when a child begins to grow hair for the first time in specific regions of their body, they would not be considered mature by any means of the law. I understand what you mean from an adult perspective, but I don't see it as a way to measure normal attraction. My preference for reduce hair on a female has no relation to viewing her as younger or as an adolescent. Smoother skin is the desirable trait, and in the interest of the topic title, it's no different than a man shaving a beard and a woman enjoying the smoothness of the skin (I know that isn't the only or prime reason a man would shave).

Of course the modern culture is different, but as we have been mentioning, some of that is rather recent.

Stereodude

Not really a
You guys do know men shaving is a relatively recent societal norm right? It all started in WWI when gas masks wouldn't get a good seal unless you did. The GI's took the habit home to the US with them and here we are about 100 years later shaving instead of having distinguished facial hair.

LunarMist

In some ancient cultures the wealthy men shaved.

And some of us have had beards on and off since the age of 16. ;)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You guys do know men shaving is a relatively recent societal norm right?

Hair removal comes and goes out of fashion and has for centuries. Usually when times are lean, fashion swings to being furry. In good times, we take off more hair.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
In the case of humans that might make sense if hairiness was universal. It isn't. Some adults have little or nothing in the way of pubic hair or body hair. My own preference is hair on the head and eyebrows, only. The second I see hair anywhere else, it's a huge turnoff. I've actually known females who feel the same way about guys. I think from a cleanliness standpoint less or no hair probably make more sense. We're eventually heading in that direction evolutionally anyhow.

Handruin

Administrator
Since this thread is about shaving solutions, I'll share that tonight I went looking for replacement Norelco blades for my electric razor. It's been maybe two years since I've bought the razor and it's overdue for a replacement of the blades. Target carries them, but they are out of stock right now. While looking through the shelf, I see another razor similar to mine which uses the exact blades I need and the entire new razor is cheaper than the replacement blades I need. WTF. I didn't really set out to get an entirely new razor, but when it's cheaper than the replacement blades...it was a no-brainer.

LunarMist

I've also found that to be the case, but most of my electrics have been the mid-priced ones.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
The metal of the cutters may be less robust as well as the particular model.

Don't they recommend changing those cutters every 6 or 12 months.

I bought a sample pack of double edged razors for my safety razor. After I find the most economical ones that will do the job I'll compare pricing and hassle to the Mach 3. Using the safety razor has some entertainment value but we'll see how much.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Perhaps a little too terse to but understandable. I meant that the start pack blades in while the new razor might be cheap.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I think I've got you on this one.

Let me know what you think. I also wonder if the sample blades might be better then the average blade in a large group.

So far, one shave, on 7 am blade, .16 cents.

Better then getting cut for .50 cents with a disposable.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Howell:

Have you tried the Feathers? If so, how long do they last?

I just got the last piece, or somewhat, of my Puzzle. The box says, 1.00 Schick Injector Razor, with 20 blades. It's VERY old. The guy included a shaving brush. The razor does expose a good part of the blade, and, I just cut myself doing in nose hairs. Just have to get used to it.

The brush he included is old, has some kind of white natural hair, and a brass base.

Now, what kind of lather to get, and a bowl...

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Howell:

Have you tried the Feathers? If so, how long do they last?

Haven't tried any of them yet. Still getting a baseline with Wilkenson Swords and cheapo Walgreen's. I only shave every other day as it is.

The brush he included is old, has some kind of white natural hair, and a brass base.

Now, what kind of lather to get, and a bowl...

Badger hair seems to be common for shaving brushes. The education section of Shaving101.com might be usful to you.

I doubt I will every bother with all that brush and lather and stuff. Just seems too messy and time consuming. I could go for a shave at a barber sometime for kicks though.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I didn't pay for the brush, just the razor, at 7 dollars plus shipping. Means I can now use all those injectors I bought for the straight razor.

I was really happy to get the brush, since badger hair brushes aren't cheap.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Update:
Ran through the cheap blades. 33 cents each for Japanese Super Sharp blades. Feathers.
So far two shaves out of the blade. It's just smooth. When I get done I get the distinct feeling an outer layer of skin has been removed. Much more so then the cheap 7 am blades.
Less cuts with the sharper Feathers. Only one so far.

The injector I bought was not putting the blade in proper position. Apparently from the time it was made till now the blades are wider. The result was that the blade was sticking out past the protecting
lip. Essentially you had a straight razor and it cut and shaved like one. I 'fixed' it bending the back so the blade fits. Now it doesn't seem to work well. A bit too safe with the blade in the proper place.

I'm using hair conditioner first, and hot water, then shaving cream.

Mercutio

I picked up some products from "The Art of Shaving" a couple weeks ago. I'm trying out different shaving creams and soaps right now, just to see if I can find something that works better. Supposedly, the one $22 jar of shaving cream I bought will last 8 to 10 months, versus going though a $7 bottle of Nivea every six weeks.

I'm not quite brave enough to try the straight razor thing. Though they would've been happy enough to sell me one.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Supposedly, the one $22 jar of shaving cream I bought will last 8 to 10 months, versus going though a $7 bottle of Nivea every six weeks.

As mentioned previously, I use the King of Shaves Alpha Gel. (When I was shaving daily for work), a 175ml tube of gel would last approximately 3-4 months. (A tube RRPs for about AU$9.99). One of the older shaving soaps would last 4-5 months when used correctly... But I do find the 8-10 mth claim a bit much.

LunarMist

I just shave normally, oblivious to all that stuff. Do you all analyze every thing you do all day?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I picked up some products from "The Art of Shaving" a couple weeks ago. I'm trying out different shaving creams and soaps right now, just to see if I can find something that works better. Supposedly, the one $22 jar of shaving cream I bought will last 8 to 10 months, versus going though a $7 bottle of Nivea every six weeks.

I'm not quite brave enough to try the straight razor thing. Though they would've been happy enough to sell me one.

Thing about straight razors is I was going to use them for areas that are hard to get to, like under your nose. Problem is they are too wide to fit in and shave that area.
A REAL straight razor is absurdly expensive.
However the injector straight razors are reasonable and you just change blades. I can shave the flats on my face with one more or less.
The curves and things start getting messy. My straight razor sits on the counter. Also the injector blades aren't easy to replace in the straight razor making the entire thing a pain.

http://www.purtlesupply.com/hess-ezy-shave-straight-razor.html

The Feathers have the reputation for being the sharpest blade on the market. Days one to three they cut beyond close, with no feeling of anything, including skin being left on your face.
Day four and five they seem to leave a little stubble, and need to be changed on day 5 or 6.

Not bad for 33 cents a blade, with shipping. Compare that to the current batch of blades. It's also easier to get under my nose with the double edge Merkur.

It seems that in the closer shave the next morning there is not as much to take off as with the standard new blades.

I need a decent aftershave that doesn't overpower and that women like.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
P.T. Barnum must love the average guy. Spending 4 bucks a blade on something that sucks, doesn't get in to tight areas, leaves shaving bumps and works worse then a 5 cent double edged blade.

Stupid would be not remembering the old stuff how well it worked and what it cost.

Modern tech has made the old work even better, and at an inflation adjustment level, for far less money then when they dominated the market.

The goal of pretty much all commodities is to make the consumer pay more money for something that is cheaper to make. Higher the profit margin the richer the maker.

I'd look at some of the razor company stocks but I don't want to throw up.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Update:

I now have a Sandal smell shaving lather, and a brush. I'm using that over hair conditioner,
Gillette foam Gel, then on top the Sandal lather. That is working. The shaving lather is nice because it's hot and can be reapplied for the second pass.

I also bought some Personna shaping blades for the straight razor. These are both sharp
and cut the width down considerably. Gets easily under my nose.

It is a solution to a problem I no longer have. The feather blades are very sharp and last about 4 shaves. They also cut under nose hairs in the Merkur very well.

Happy with the solution.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
That's for a VERY close shave, every time. I can stretch a couple more out of the blades if I shave often. Maybe I have a stubborn beard?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I've got near 8 shaves out of the last feather. Not as close as the first 5, but enough for government work.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'm down to changing the Feather's every Sunday. Great deal.
Still burning through my shaving cream from Costco.
Gel stuff from Gilette.

Use the straight razor for under my nose, and I still have the single edge safety razor, but, I should probably by another at some point.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
update

So an update:

The straight razor requires more time then I usually have, but is useful for under my nose.

I did buy a bunch of single edge injector blades for it. However, they aren't the right blades, and are hard to get into the
Hess Ezy shave razor.

I've been looking for an injector single edge. Seems only used on ebay. I've bought two. One wasn't so great.

The second, for 15 bucks, saved being able to use a bunch of blades.

Here is my take:
Ez Hess straight razor:
excellent for under the nose, takes too much time and skill to use for much more. One blade is lasting months.

Double edged razor Merkur. This is the best solution for me, overall. It cuts well on the first pass, and the blades last a week, at least.
It's awkward on my upper lip, and under my nose.
This cuts a lot of hair, and is easy to get cleared for the next pass.

Single edged razor: This works, but it's hard to clear, when working on large areas, and slower then the double edge. It also doesn't work as well,
because the load up gets in way of function.
However, it's safer, and easier to get into those hard to get to areas.

Haven't run out of shaving cream, but I have two tubs waiting to try the shaving brush and soap. I like the idea of being able to use heated soap on my face,
vs the now 40 degree stuff that comes out of the Edge Gel stuff.

Mercutio

I was using Art of Shaving oil on my face prior to shaving. However, that shit is expensive. I also had a jar of Lush Sea Salt exfoliating scrub that I used until I ran out. Which is also expensive shit. Then I noticed that the ingredients list for each was pretty similar and I've been experimenting with making my own.

What I came up with was a mixture of olive oil, coarse sea salt and a combination of various essential oils (mostly sandalwood, which is also what my soap and cologne smell like) for fragrance. I scrub my face with it, then without rinsing anything off, apply shaving cream. My skin seems to be less irritated and I get an extra couple shaves out of a razor blade, so I call that mission accomplished.