iPhone syndrome

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Well yes, but maybe a ghost of Job on iTunes was at work.

Handruin

Administrator
I really hate the new maps. They bother me more than they should. I want my Google maps back as a native app. |
^<---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yes, not being able to switch default applications was near top of my list for going android.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
One of my iphone people moved to a Galaxy last month. He gets along OK with it, but he hated conversation view in Gmail, which can't be turned off in the app version. I told him to try K9 and sent him a link with the proper settings to make it go.
I probably got 150 emails over the next three days about how K9 didn't work or how hard it was to make K9 work. Some of them, ironically, were sent from K9.

After that his tune regarding Android changed from "It's fine. I can do all the same stuff as my iphone." to "Only huge nerds can do anything with Android."

ddrueding

Fixture
I can't imagine telling anyone not to use the default e-mail client or media player on and Android device. Even having multiple web browsers confuses my people, and more powerful versions of applications will only confuse them.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
That seems to be the major complaint on K-9, it is a little too powerful and configurable. But if you power through it you can make it do pretty much exactly what you want. Example is that now I have a notification LED again I can make that show different colors per account so I know what I can ignore. In app support for quiet times is nice too. I like it, it's the whole reason I switched.

What I would like in android is once you made the decision to go with something else is the ability to uninstall gmail and the native mail handler. Also why are they two apps? Bumping up against google marketing/branding whatever doesn't seem to be as bad as iphone though. It's a minor inconvenience to have these things in the share menu.

Iphone is still good enough for most, if enough people complain about something AND it doesn't interfere with a core strategy you will likely eventually get it (unified inbox, flagging mail). If it does interfere with what apple wants you won't ever get it, IMAP idle (possible battery drain, though if you pull every 15 it's even worse!), changing default mail handler to sparrow pretty much=no, allowing sparrow to do push=no.

Has google even released a maps app? Starting to get a little out of touch.

For deployment to a company I think iphone is still winning.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
For deployment to a company I think iphone is still winning.

For the last few days, I've been working with two people with iPhones. Eventually, after one said "I don't like iPhones", and the other actually produced her own Galaxy S II while ignoring the iPhone on the desk in front of her, I discovered that the iPhones were corporate issue, but the employees preferred Android phones.

Isn't this Blackberry syndrome revisited?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I've tried several times to get people here to try Kaiten - effectively the paid version of K9 - but so far no-one appears to have picked it up. Honestly, apart from the lack of conversation views, it is a most excellent email client, and I now rely on it instead of Thunderbird et al.

Mercutio

Conversation view is actually a deal-breaker for some people. I really hate it and some of the aspects of Gmail's labeling system, e.g. "Whoops, I just trashed 600 messages with the same subject line because I miskeyed something on my phone."

I'm willing to put up with it on Android because mobile email is almost entirely view-only for me in the first place; my email messages tend to be composed in paragraphs and require a proper input device.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
For the last few days, I've been working with two people with iPhones. Eventually, after one said "I don't like iPhones", and the other actually produced her own Galaxy S II while ignoring the iPhone on the desk in front of her, I discovered that the iPhones were corporate issue, but the employees preferred Android phones.

You can't get a group of people to actually like any one thing, no win situation. Thing is do they have actual reasons why? Something like my abandoning the blackberry because it has a tiny hard to see screen with a large physical keyboard that isn't easy to type on, no touch screen so you are shoving a mouse pointer or cursor around with a trackball and the thing simply can't render web pages or emails with formatting in them to be legible?

Mercutio

Unfortunately, "bring your own" is an IT support nightmare as well. Because one person will be able to do something that other people can't, or one person won't be able to see something everyone else does. Like, hey, two calendars at once. :)

ddrueding

Fixture
We're actually playing "pick your own IT" with our new cell phones. You can pick, and pay a premium out of pocket if you want to upgrade. That will be (at least in the short term) a time sink.

Handruin

Administrator

It's hard to say if it's a Blackberry syndrome. I only see the people locally who are around me with corporate phones and a large percentage have iPhones ranging between the 4 to version 5. A few have Android phones and I can't recall anyone having a corporate windows mobile device. I don't believe the company mandates one specific type but the users seem to gravitate towards the iPhone.

Handruin

Administrator
Shoulda bought an Android ;)

Well...had I gone Android I would have been using a Galaxy S2 because all the other phones weren't out just yet and there was an identity crisis with phones deciding if they would offer ice cream sandwich. I didn't want to deal with that and I wasn't willing to wait for the Galaxy Nexus to some day show its head (which that day has come and gone in roughly the past year since I've had my 4S). I didn't know Apple would be changing out the maps. It might be enough to consider moving away for my next phone. Aside from the annoying new maps I don't have a lot to complain about the phone. It has been pretty solid so far.

Edit: I should add that the iPhone 5 has no real compelling features or changes that excite me to upgrade. By the time a 5S comes out (assuming Apple follows the same pattern) I wonder if it will exciting me enough to switch. At this point my phone has been more than fast enough to do everything I want in a smooth-enough UI. What I'd rather have is more battery life as opposed to a faster CPU at this point.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Fun piece of information, there is no fixed limit on the amount of exchange accounts that an iPhone or iOS device supports.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Me, just the one.

But apparently if you want google shared calendars to show on those devices you enter each as a seperate ical (*.ics) calendar on the device.

ddrueding

Fixture
Is there a current way to get MP3s on an iPod (nano 16GB in this case) without installing iTunes? I know there used to be some programs, but they kept breaking?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
You may be able to do this with Amarok. There's a Windows version, but no idea if it's any good. I've only used the Linux version, which is fine.

Mercutio

Can someone please explain to me why an 8GB used iphone that's been banned from multiple carriers is still worth $150?

Mercutio

Can be used in another country with different carriers (if unlocked) ?

I live in the midwestern United States. I'm at least four hours' travel from another country.
Also, the phones I was looking at were CDMA, which no other country even uses as far as I know.

I'm relatively certain I could find a 32GB Android phone and add a 32GB uSD card for it for less than $150 though. And for $150, it wouldn't be banned on multiple carriers, either.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Is that four hours on a propler-driven plane? Get on a real aircraft. ;)

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Can someone please explain to me why an 8GB used iphone that's been banned from multiple carriers is still worth $150?

Because even without the cell portion it is still better than an ipod touch of the same generation. Also the commonly broken things like digitizer/screen can fix good phones which could cost more than that for non OEM parts. Even if it was a CDMA one some of them will work on 3G depending on generation etc.

Mercutio

Apple invented smart watches, NFC payment systems and phones larger than 4.5" today. Clearly, the world will never be the same.

Mercutio

This was on Imgur, which means it was probably also on reddit, but some of y'all probably haven't seen it yet.

V4Scepm.jpg

time

Storage? I am Storage!
"Picasso had a saying - 'good artists copy, great artists steal' - and we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas." (Steve Jobs 1996)

Fish: meet Barrel.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
It wouldn't bother me, copy all you want, improve on it. The part that bothers me is when they act like Apple invented it, or it wasn't a useful feature until Apple included it, especially "journalists".
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/jobs-no-ones-going-to-buy-a-big-phone/

I'm especially annoyed by all the rejoicing about the Apple Watch, which I had high hopes would really revolutionize the genre, but I found terribly underwhelming. Not to mention ugly.

Handruin

Administrator
That graphic is fun and certainly hard to dispute. I consider the iPhone 6 as their catch-up device for the masses at a "lower" price point. It gives people who are adamant about staying in their ecosystem a chance to catch up from a couple years back. The iPhone 6 plus fits in as their competing product with other current phones. I don't see it as a phone that jumped ahead from other phones.

It's not only the marketing of "look what we now just invented" but also the bias from review sites and journalists who won't call a spade a spade.

tdTOVP8.jpg

Mercutio

oh lord, i read one of the first post in this thread saying that iphone didnt allow video calls and was like "what?!?!?" but then realized that post was from 2009... 7 years ago! whoa

We can and will dig up a post from 10 years ago for a reply to a topic that's been around that long.
iPhones have definitely been sucking since 2009 so that makes perfect sense to me.