This is the thread for the discussion of interesting apps.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
LM got a movie reference and dd admitted he hasn't seen the greatest comedy since "Ghostbusters." What is the world coming to?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I haven't watched it, either.
Nor I ... also really tired of seeing the blatant promotion of the new movie all over the place (like guest appearances of "Ron Burgandy" on TSN, etc, etc, etc.)

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
LM got a movie reference and dd admitted he hasn't seen the greatest comedy since "Ghostbusters." What is the world coming to?

It wasn't a great comedy, but there was some clever dialogue.

Mercutio

It was banned from the Play Store, but device-wide Adblock+ is available for Android Devices in the Amazon App Store. Some people say it causes problems with some other apps, but I haven't observed any issues yet on the devices where I've tried it.

It does not require root and I've been using it on my GS4 for a couple weeks now. I find it particularly helpful with the Android default web browser. It does not seem to prevent ads on Youtube.

ddrueding

Fixture
My boss was running an app called "Note Everything" until recently. One of the advantages was that it was supposed to backup to Google Docs. A few months ago he did a firmware upgrade on his phone and it lost the data on the phone and...no backup!

I'm looking for an app that does roughly the same thing, but works.

Simple note taking with sync to Google Docs and other Android devices.

There are a few out there, but I was hoping for a recommendation from some of you honorable people ;)

Mercutio

FWIW, youtube-dl is pretty slick.

If you create a Bookmark with this code

Code:
javascript:(function(){if(location.host%20==%20"www.youtube.com"%20&&%20location.search.indexOf("v=")%20!=%20-1)%20{open("http://www.youtube-mp3.org/#v="%20+location.search.split("v=")[1].split("&")[0]);}})();

and click it while watching a Youtube video, it'll open a new tab with a link to download the audio. I find that endlessly useful.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
Have you looked into Google Keep at all? Perhaps that will suffice?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Google Keep is what I was looking for. I actually downloaded back when I reset my phone but never actually used it.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It was banned from the Play Store, but device-wide Adblock+ is available for Android Devices in the Amazon App Store. Some people say it causes problems with some other apps, but I haven't observed any issues yet on the devices where I've tried it.

It does not require root and I've been using it on my GS4 for a couple weeks now. I find it particularly helpful with the Android default web browser. It does not seem to prevent ads on Youtube.
Tried this out for a while and noticed problems, particularly with Instagram. Some of my ad-supported apps got barfy, and I couldn't get updates to install. Also, didn't notice any fewer ads when browsing.

I'd say that it's not ready for prime time.

Mercutio

I "made" an HTML5 app today using a code generation platform from machine.infinitemonkeys.com. It took about 10 minutes is going to cost $120/year to publish as a Google/Amazon/Apple app store item.
All it does is open a web page or dial a phone numbre or pipe an address in to a device's navigation app, but it beats the crap out of learning to code the stupid thing myself.

Still, I feel dirty now.

Mercutio

I can either buy the code outright and publish it myself (+$99 for Apple developer tax) or I can pay $10/month and run everything through the code generator's developer account. This is just coming from a stupid customer mandate and I'm hoping we can put it online for six months and show that no one is using it.

Or I can spend I-dont-know-how-long learning to be a mobile app developer and still find out that no one is using this thing six months down the road.

Mercutio

Google Drive dropped it's prices today. Storage plans now cost 1/3rd what they did until this morning. 100GB plans are now $24/year.

Handruin

Administrator
Google Drive dropped it's prices today. Storage plans now cost 1/3rd what they did until this morning. 100GB plans are now $24/year.

I'm liking this news. I'm going to explore if they have a decent Linux client. I have some ideas to use with this. I'll be curious to see what dropbox might do with with their pricing. They're now significantly more expensive.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm liking this news. I'm going to explore if they have a decent Linux client. I have some ideas to use with this. I'll be curious to see what dropbox might do with with their pricing. They're now significantly more expensive.

I just tried their download page and it says: "Not (yet) supported for Linux."

Mercutio

There are a few third party solutions for Google Drive. Insync is a commercial application that allows someone to sync multiple Google Drive accounts on the same system.

Mercutio

Remote Flash rendering is somewhat interesting, but it's primarily only going to help for video streaming and not interactive applications. Unfortunately, that also means that everyplace where you will want to use it (sites that don't have decent mobile experiences already, like Hulu) probably already ban it.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Puffin makes going to my work site easy, and fast.
I think the site uses Flash, IIRC, but not in any major way. Still, it makes the regular site bearable, without having to pay for the mobile site.

www.arbitersports.com

Striker

When I was refereeing a few years ago I was able to use that site fine with firefox. I'm glad you found another alternative that works for you, it is convenient to be able to check it on the go.

Mercutio

Teamviewer Quick Support allows for an RDP-like remote connection to an Android device. I'm fusing it now, typing on my laptop but posting from my phone. Neat.

Mercutio

I got a Netgear PTV3000 Miracast adapter today for classroom-type use. It's pretty sweet. There's a Bluetooth-like pairing process but it seems to work with my Thinkpad (Windows 8.1 with Intel WiDi) and with both my Kindle Fire HDX and my Galaxy S4. It is definitely not as easy as Airplay and it has a bit of lag, but it seems like it will work well enough for classroom instruction.

Striker

You guys might be interested in https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm
It's uses are virtually unlimited. If you want your phone to just have a data connection once an hour to poll for messages you can program Tasker to turn it on once an hour, or once a day or whatever you want.
If you only want GPS to start when you open up google maps, you can do that. You can set WiFi to only come on when you are nearby certain cell towers. You can have it start a program when your phone connects to a certain bluetooth.
It is extremely flexible and it's uses almost limited to your imagination.