ODBC Driver

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Does anyone have a ODBC driver for a Sculptor 4GL database engine?

Googling comes up with little information about Sculptor 4GL, even less about ODBC drivers for 3rd party systems.

I'm basically after the driver, so I can extract data from a legacy system that is written in Scupltor 4GL, and to note I have no viable means of contacting the original authors of the software.

I can use the inbuilt report application that ships with the legacy system, but since I have no direct insight into what data is actually in the individual tables, it's hard to write a report to extract everything... A generic connection via ODBC would allow me to "select * from table" to get all the fields, not just selected fields.

Any pointers/hints or just the ODBC driver would be a great help!

PS. OLE or ADO.NET drivers also accepted as well, just any way to get at the data!

igitur

What is this storage?
Does anyone have a ODBC driver for a Sculptor 4GL database engine?

Googling comes up with little information about Sculptor 4GL, even less about ODBC drivers for 3rd party systems.

I'm basically after the driver, so I can extract data from a legacy system that is written in Scupltor 4GL, and to note I have no viable means of contacting the original authors of the software.

I can use the inbuilt report application that ships with the legacy system, but since I have no direct insight into what data is actually in the individual tables, it's hard to write a report to extract everything... A generic connection via ODBC would allow me to "select * from table" to get all the fields, not just selected fields.

Any pointers/hints or just the ODBC driver would be a great help!

PS. OLE or ADO.NET drivers also accepted as well, just any way to get at the data!

Did you ever solve this? I'm sitting with exactly the same problem.

igitur

What is this storage?
Whoa, necro -thread...

No I didn't. In this case I ended up using some of the reports from the application to extract the key information and went from there...

Haha, yes, the wonder of the internet for revealing our past.

I'm going to have to go the same route then and do a custom report. Mind if I bug you a bit more if I struggle with that? Would I need a compiler to compile a custom report or are they interpreted directly?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Haha, yes, the wonder of the internet for revealing our past.

I'm going to have to go the same route then and do a custom report. Mind if I bug you a bit more if I struggle with that? Would I need a compiler to compile a custom report or are they interpreted directly?
The reports were generated in the application itself via it's reporting facility... Then exported to ASCII text files via capturing the LPT port comms, and processed accordingly (resulting files were read via a custom .NET application, basically treating the imported files with fixed width columns for data, then importing into MSSQL)...