Music

ddrueding

Fixture
Just the system at work. I suppose it depends on your definition of bad-ass; but it is easily twice as good as the systems I've had in the past.

A pair of Adam A8X along with an Adam Sub8. All being driven from a Creative X-Fi HD USB Sound Card. The weak link is no doubt the source (Pandora @ 192kbps).

Handruin

Administrator
Now that I have a bad-ass audio system, I find that songs that sound clean are getting much more play. Recordings by "The Xx", particularly "Stars" is getting a lot of attention at the moment. Other suggestions?

Try some of the music from 2L that is recorded in higher sample rates and available in FLAC (24bit/192kHz). The username and password on the downloads is "2L". I don't know if any of it will appeal to your taste but even if not you may enjoy and appreciate the clarity and dynamics of the recordings.

Handruin

Administrator
Just the system at work. I suppose it depends on your definition of bad-ass; but it is easily twice as good as the systems I've had in the past.

A pair of Adam A8X along with an Adam Sub8. All being driven from a Creative X-Fi HD USB Sound Card. The weak link is no doubt the source (Pandora @ 192kbps).

I'm thoroughly enjoying your previous hand-me-downs even if they were half as good. :) I love how accurate they sound with a proper subwoofer and bass management.

Handruin

Administrator
I wasn't aware I could make Foobar2000 look this pretty. Looks like there is some nice theme support for it.

fb2k_theme.jpg

Theme package is here:
http://tedgo.deviantart.com/art/DarkOne-v4-360862076

Rename the Darkone file you extract to an exe file and install.
Restart foobar2000, select colums and a random setup.
Next, go into prefrences > display and click Colums UI and import flc settings.
Browse to your foobar2000 folder in program files, then into the themes folder and then Darkone 4.
Done

ddrueding

Fixture
Gonna have to do something since apparently AOL is pulling WinAmp off the internet in a couple weeks.

Quite so. Most of my listening has gone to Pandora these days, and if I want a particular song I just do what all the teenagers do (YouTube). But I still have a significant local collection that is mostly used on my mobile devices, but local access at home would be nice. Is foobar2000 the place to look?

Handruin

Administrator
Quite so. Most of my listening has gone to Pandora these days, and if I want a particular song I just do what all the teenagers do (YouTube). But I still have a significant local collection that is mostly used on my mobile devices, but local access at home would be nice. Is foobar2000 the place to look?

I've been using foobar for listening to my personal music collection for a while. SD got me interested in it along with the WASAPI plugin to get a cleaner output to your audio source when running windows.
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi
"Adds Windows Audio Session API exclusive mode output support, allowing bit-exact output and muting all other sounds. Windows Vista SP1 or newer required."

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I don't listen much music, but when I do, I do it on foobar2000. I don't really care how plain it looks like though. I use it for the audio part, not the visual appeal.

Handruin

Administrator
Someone gave me the CD Dan Crary - Renaissance of the Steel String Guitar as a gift over the holidays and it's enjoyable. I had heard the song (track 7 Cape Foulweather) on Pandora and liked the steel string acoustical detail so I added the CD to my wishlist. So far it has turned out to be enjoyable overall. It contains the styles of country pickin' music with some hand drums, whistles, and harmonicas. Might be fun to listen with a pair of detailed speakers or headphones.

Handruin

Administrator
It's been over nine years since their last album but Nickle Creek is back with new music and a new tour. Anyone who may like Acoustical Progressive Bluegrass might enjoy this.

[video=youtube;JawK7QcEGKU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JawK7QcEGKU[/video]

Stereodude

Not really a
Their first album was good, but the subsequent releases went downhill, or might be more accurate to say drifted away from my musical tastes.

Handruin

Administrator
I've been enjoying the two gentlemen who created 2CELLOS. They have numerous cover songs on YouTube.

[video=youtube_share;hBzmSKFlbHg]http://youtu.be/hBzmSKFlbHg[/video]

ddrueding

Fixture
While the Russian police are (as always) hilarious, I need to put in a shout out to Pentatonix:
[video=youtube_share;3MteSlpxCpo]http://youtu.be/3MteSlpxCpo[/video]

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Was that the lowest quality version of that you could find?

No, just the most entertaining. :p I did cast around for a better quality version, but decided the content trumped fidelity. I particularly enjoyed the lack of enthusiasm displayed by many of the participants, especially towards the start.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Awesome find, Snowhiker.

Not something I'd listen to personally, but certainly a great new experience. Should be right up CougTek's alley. ;)

Stereodude

Not really a
Sometimes it pays to do a little Googling when you're music shopping... I wanted these two albums (#1 & #2). They're limited edition (only 2000 made) and apparently the supply dried up a while back causing prices to rise. They're equally expensive on ebay. However, the record company that released the albums, La La Records, will happily sell them to you for about 1/3rd the going market price for new ones + S&H. :scratch: link

I didn't ask too many questions. I placed my order and received them the other day. :cool:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You could've just asked me for those. I already had both of them. I can even see the cases from where I'm sitting. I also have the Blood and Chrome and Caprica series soundtracks, which were similarly limited.

sedrosken

Florida Man
I listen to a great variety of music styles : heavy metal, thrash metal, power metal, industrial metal, black metal, gothic metal, death metal, I could go on... There's some vague link between those styles, but I think I'm fairly open-minded regarding music.

Same here. And I mostly fit the stereotype of the quiet, unassuming metalhead. Perhaps because I grew up on it, I can listen to country music without wanting to gouge my ears out with a rusty spoon. Some electronica legitimately sounds rather interesting, but I hate rap music with a passion.

Probably the only thing that saw me actually playing and liking Doom at first would have been the music. It was only after I started playing for the awesome music that I realized that it has awesome (if a bit clunky by today's standards) gameplay as well.

Mercutio

This could go in something random but we'll put it here instead.

I was teaching a class today of extremely varied racial composition and some of the African American gentlemen were enjoying a particular youtube video featuring a bunch of big booty girls dancing around to bits of "Baby Got Back" during a break, which got my classroom talking about how much white people know about rap. In the end, the consensus was that Sir Mix-a-Lot's Baby Got Back is the single greatest work in the canon of rap, insofar as it might be considered music. It and it alone has achieved the level of cultural acceptability such that it is both instantly recognizable and attributable to its performer, based largely on the fact that 1. Everyone had heard it, including one student's 71 year old wife and 2. Everyone more or less liked it or least admitted that it has a persuasive point of view.

Bv2WFzEIIAAbp_f.jpg

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Mix a lot? Never heard of it. Why are people on the YouTube at training?

Mercutio

It was break time, and is so often the case, the topic turned to ladies who got ass. Or something. I missed the first part.
Plus my office has fast internet service, something that actually isn't true in a steel mill.

Handruin

Administrator
I would agree it's an easily-recognized song being ever quite popular. Mix-A-lot was even surprised it became as popular as it did based on his AMA on reddit. Jonathan Coulton even did a fun cover of Baby Got Back...which the douche-bags at fox took it and then stole his rendition from him without credit to use in Glee. There was a nice kerfuffle over the issue because it seemed they took his verbatim and didn't give credit, yet argued he should be thankful of the exposure (wtf?).

Handruin

Administrator
These two need to go here.

http://youtu.be/f66kEastC58

http://youtu.be/Wpd2VaFt5iY

Video tagging is broken for some reason.

I hadn't seen that rendition in your first link. That was a lot of fun and in the same spirit as Jonathan Coulton's. The Brian Williams rap series is incredibly well done. If you haven't seen his responses to it, they're pretty funny. Jimmy Fallon had him on to talk about it and he was a good sport about it.

I think the video links didn't work because they're shortened by YouTube and the forum may not recognize it.

Stereodude

Not really a
Someone must have spent a lot of time to find all the clips where Brian Williams says all those words. Very funny and well done though.