Something Random

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
MP3 or FLAC will probably not make any difference in a phone, the only phone I know of that aspires to have decent sound is the LG G5? with the hifi plug in module.

I have a Nexus 6P with AKG n20 headphones, not really high end, but not the worst either. The sounds are there, but not the timing in the music, and it can't handle even midly dense music at all. Maybe the AKGs just need some time to loosen up, but I suspect that the phone also lacks audiophile qualities.

I do most of my listening on my laptop, which has some kind of generic HD audio output. I think it's Realtek? Either way, I can't tell too much of a difference even on that. Even that much might just be some kind of placebo effect, but FLACs tend to sound a little cleaner and clearer to me. Not enough to make ballooning my collection from 7GB to 20+ worthwhile, though. I listen on my phone just enough that it's a genuine concern I need to take into account when I'm messing with my library.

Stereodude

Not really a
Unless I'm missing something you can't sample a 20kHz sine wave at 44ksps and then use that digitized version to get something resembling a sine wave when you play it back. A good rule of thumb is the sampling rate needs to be at least ten times the maximum frequency if you're dealing with anything but square waves. 192ksps sounds like it might be superior to 44ksps. The only reason it might not be is if the recorded material has very little content above 4 or 5 kHz. Note that I deal with sampled signals all the time on the project I'm working on. A 100kHz sine wave sampled at anything less than 1Msps starts to look pretty cruddy.
Uh, sure you can. You can absolutely reproduce a perfectly smooth sine 20kHz wave with a 44.1kHz sampling rate. The low pass filter in the DAC ensures that. Square waves effectively have high frequency content out to infinity Hz and when you low pass them you end up with rounded edges, which is why you get smooth waveforms, not jagged ones even all the way up to 1/2 the sampling rate.

I do agree there should be no discernible difference between 16 and 24 bit encoding. The human ear just can't resolve the smaller differences in sound that 24-bit can reproduce.
You could potentially make the case for going up to 18-bits in some uncommon and extreme situations, but beyond 18-bit / 48kHz as the final listening format it's just wasted bits and bandwidth. It's just audiophile nonsense like expensive cables, ceramic cable elevators, CD stabilizer rings and other snake oil.

fb

Storage is cool
I do most of my listening on my laptop, which has some kind of generic HD audio output. I think it's Realtek? Either way, I can't tell too much of a difference even on that. Even that much might just be some kind of placebo effect, but FLACs tend to sound a little cleaner and clearer to me. Not enough to make ballooning my collection from 7GB to 20+ worthwhile, though. I listen on my phone just enough that it's a genuine concern I need to take into account when I'm messing with my library.
I'm afraid that the integrated Realtek audio chip isn't really reference. But I use the same on my computer, and I listen to songs from Youtube sometimes, and I haven't placed my speakers for best audio performance either, and I have also listened to music streamed to a bluetooth spreaker from a phone and enjoyed it even if the theory says that it should be low bandwidth and crap. It depends a lot on the company, situation and expectations.

Maybe you can take a look at one of the USB DACs if you're looking for a way to improve the sound from your computer/phone in the future?

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Maybe you can take a look at one of the USB DACs if you're looking for a way to improve the sound from your computer/phone in the future?

What I have sounds alright to me. I really don't care what I'm using as long as it doesn't have that high pitched whine in the background, it drives me nuts.

Handruin

Administrator
MP3 or FLAC will probably not make any difference in a phone, the only phone I know of that aspires to have decent sound is the LG G5? with the hifi plug in module.

I have a Nexus 6P with AKG n20 headphones, not really high end, but not the worst either. The sounds are there, but not the timing in the music, and it can't handle even midly dense music at all. Maybe the AKGs just need some time to loosen up, but I suspect that the phone also lacks audiophile qualities.

My LG V10 has a 32 bit Hi-Fi DAC by ESS Technology. It's the ESS Sabre 9018C2M DAC chip inside and an ESS 9602C headphone amplifier. I do have FLAC files on my phone for times when I'm listening to my headphones.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Around 3AM I accidentally GUI formatted FAT32 the entire internet, outlook, data SSD instead of the CF card. Then I copied it all back but the internet takes forever to open.
W/R testing and formatting 1.5 TB of cards late at night is not the best idea. :oops:

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Moved into my dorm sweet dorm today. Just finished my todo list for the day, short of going to that mandatory meeting around 6:30ish. Considering grabbing a nap, I didn't get much sleep last night. Speed test says the connection here is just short of 22mbps down, almost 5mbps up, 24ms ping. Tempted to try a Quake deathmatch or something.

Stereodude

Not really a
Moved into my dorm sweet dorm today. Just finished my todo list for the day, short of going to that mandatory meeting around 6:30ish. Considering grabbing a nap, I didn't get much sleep last night. Speed test says the connection here is just short of 22mbps down, almost 5mbps up, 24ms ping. Tempted to try a Quake deathmatch or something.
Congrats, and it's a suite.

LunarMist

Anyone get the clutch foot? I've never heard of it and I don't have the old-fashioned cars.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I get numbness in my toes and pain on the ball of my foot while biking after about an hour or so. Not clutch foot in the strict sense, but it sounds like the same parts of the foot are affected.

LunarMist

Damn! You're quite a hacker. I wasn't up until one hour later, but I never noticed any downtime.

You truncated the response. :D
Anyway, I have to use the GUIFormat32 for the CF memory cards. Stupid Windows only allows NTFS or exFAT. :(

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Sallie Mae (my lender) doesn't disburse until the twenty-fifth, so I'll need to request a University Funds Advance and pay $20 for the privilege of having it decided on in order to buy my books in time. It's not even guaranteed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not much I can do here other than put in the application and wait. Applied for a job a couple hours ago, hoping for a response of some kind (hopefully positive) within the next week. Not like I'm going to starve or anything, but I need to have some money coming in, and sooner rather than later.

Handruin

Administrator
Sallie Mae (my lender) doesn't disburse until the twenty-fifth, so I'll need to request a University Funds Advance and pay $20 for the privilege of having it decided on in order to buy my books in time. It's not even guaranteed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not much I can do here other than put in the application and wait. Applied for a job a couple hours ago, hoping for a response of some kind (hopefully positive) within the next week. Not like I'm going to starve or anything, but I need to have some money coming in, and sooner rather than later.

I went through some similar stuff while going to school. I worked as much as I could through the summers to save for the fall mostly to cover the costs of books. I eventually got an on-campus job working for IT, specifically for the help desk. This actually worked out well for me because it allowed me to move in a week early onto campus each year because we would meet up and plan the strategy to help all the students moving in to get network cards added into their machines to get onto the campus network. Now that's probably irrelevant because almost every modern system has an ethernet port but most desktops didn't when I was in school. On top of that, it was great experience not only in the technical problem-solving side of things but it was a great faculty-networking experience going around and helping them solve problems and getting to know them.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Y'know I didn't think of the IT department having openings, I should check sometime. I wonder if I have to be certified in anything in particular... Maybe I should look into taking an A+ cert this semester as well.

Handruin

Administrator
Y'know I didn't think of the IT department having openings, I should check sometime. I wonder if I have to be certified in anything in particular... Maybe I should look into taking an A+ cert this semester as well.

It's worth checking out. I didn't have any specific certifications when I worked at mine but this was 14+ years ago.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
sed, A+, Network+, Server+ and Security+ are all good entry-level certs. They're all pure book learning, but the tests are expensive and the certs expire after two years. If you can convince somebody to pay for the tests, go nuts. You can probably get through A+ with a few days of study. In an academic setting, they're more likely to want you studying and keeping up your grades than an industry-specific certification.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!

I also started with the IT depertment in college. Every computer had a public address.

Stereodude

Not really a
I was deemed unqualified to work in the Computer Services (IT) department at college, while other people I knew who were much less knowledgeable about PCs had no problem getting jobs. :rofl:

LunarMist

Do you guys have to conduct cognitive load assessments for exempt employees activities?

LunarMist

But you can't assume the systems are always working 100%. Humans must monitor and take corrective actions.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
But you can't assume the systems are always working 100%. Humans must monitor and take corrective actions.

In my experience real time/24*7 monitoring positions are staffed by hourly (non-exempt) employees. Very difficult to maintain 2 shifts per day with sick, vacation and PTO time off without entailing overtime, begging for a Department of Labor lawsuit if you made those positions salaried.

Critical alerts are also forwarded to management and myself.

LunarMist

In my experience real time/24*7 monitoring positions are staffed by hourly (non-exempt) employees. Very difficult to maintain 2 shifts per day with sick, vacation and PTO time off without entailing overtime, begging for a Department of Labor lawsuit if you made those positions salaried.

Critical alerts are also forwarded to management and myself.

Maybe that's it. I'm sometimes confused about the HR criteria, though that's not really the issue.
There are a lot of good employees that need to be retained long term for moving up to middle mange bent.
I really don't want to be involved in the activity at all, since my job does not entail doing anything.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The joke that the IOC is admitted Bridge as an olympic event in the past. Since then, nothing surprises me from them. Golf isn't a sport either, yet they gave a medal for it this year. A hobby in which someone with a body like John Daly and Phil Mickleson can win a major tournament is simply not a sport in my book. Snooker, darts, bowling and poker aren't sports either, but they are all shown on ESPN.

And now that these Olympics are over, we can safely tell that Brazil prove without the shadow of a doubt that it's still a far cry from being a developped country. The amount of screw up there's been during the competition was staggering. It was globaly appaling.

LunarMist

The joke that the IOC is admitted Bridge as an olympic event in the past. Since then, nothing surprises me from them. Golf isn't a sport either, yet they gave a medal for it this year. A hobby in which someone with a body like John Daly and Phil Mickleson can win a major tournament is simply not a sport in my book. Snooker, darts, bowling and poker aren't sports either, but they are all shown on ESPN.

And now that these Olympics are over, we can safely tell that Brazil prove without the shadow of a doubt that it's still a far cry from being a developped country. The amount of screw up there's been during the competition was staggering. It was globaly appaling.

Those green swimming pools looked rather gross. :lol:
I've been to some far more primitive countries than Brazil, but they don't hold the Olympics.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
As much as I'm loathe to admit it, if NYC ever gets the games in the future it'll make the Rio games look like they were done by experts. NYC has fucking things up down to a fine art. Some headlines I might anticipate in a NYC Olympics:

"Cyclists Crash in Road Race Due to Third World Street Conditions"
"Rats and Roaches Invade Olympic Village"
"NYPD Mistakingly Arrests Runners Practicing, Says They Were Black and Moving Fast, So They Must Have Robbed Someone"
"Power Fails on All Subway Lines, Guests Can't Get to Venues"
"Mosquitoes Swarm Rowing Venue"

I could go on and on, but you get the point.

Apparently Chicago may also have the potential for screwing up the Olympics big-time.

Mercutio

Something very amusing to me happened over the weekend. The Hugo Awards for Science Fiction in media were given for this year. That by itself is fairly unremarkable, but for the last few years there has been a concerted effort by white male conservatives, usually called the Sad Puppies, to discredit the nomination and awards process because of their personal biases against the increasingly diverse, worldwide slate of candidates whose work is deserving of credit. Most of this took the form of nominating a slate of white, male, conservative authors, although at least a few authors and works that made it to the ballot out of ridiculous audacity, including those of self-publishing Gay Smut ebooks, Chuck Tingle. I'll leave the question of why a bunch of white conservative men who are angry about women and Asians getting award nominations for writing fiction chose to campaign for an author whose works invariable include the phrase "Pounded in the Butt" (not going to link, but look up the author on Amazon. I am not joking) to more inquisitive minds

In any case, in spite of these efforts, no one the Sad Puppies supported won an award. That's not to say that straight white guys didn't do well, just that they didn't win 100% of the awards as they might have 20 years ago. This is a genuinely big deal because that Hugo Award is something that really will get me as a reader to pick up something I might have ignored, and I'm sure I'm not the only other reader who would. I'm glad the community of readers collectively told these guys to take a seat, because over the long term it's going to mean that it'll be easier to find published fiction or produced works by a broader range of authors than would be the case if the Sad Puppies had their way. I think that's a good thing.

Mercutio

Chicago wouldn't be HORRIBLE, but AFAIK the best Summer Olympic venues in the USA would be LA and Atlanta. LA has the transit infrastructure and plenty of huge stadiums already and Atlanta still has the facilities from whenever its Olympics was, which were already some of the cheapest games in recent history. From what I read, Brazil spent tens of billions getting ready and I'm sure everyone in Chicago would have their hand out as well, but having the event someplace with a good airport and lots of roads to move people around solves a lot of Olympics-related problems. I do think some good would come of it. There's a lot of fighting over any lake-front real estate. We just lost the George Lucas museum because some boat owners didn't want to give up a patch of parking lots, so having some kind of genuine mandate for useful and beneficial structures might serve a better long-term purpose.

I also understand that climate change is going to cause real problems for possible hosting locations worldwide over the next hundred years, and I suspect it might be easier to just establish a rotation of permanent locations in for the games. Brazil probably could've done something better with $40 Billion and moving between LA and Tokyo and London might just fix all of that.

Mercutio

I read a brief news item about the movie Arrival, based on the book Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang. Piqued me enough to want to buy the book to read it. Comments?

I read the short story that it's based on and have NO FREAKING CLUE how they can make that into a movie without destroying the central conceit of the written work.