Are people open to changing the forum software again? Please leave feedback.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
If you click the little round dot in front of the thread it will take you to the first unread post, but I guess that's not what you're asking for.

I tested this on mobile and it works there as well. The icon is pretty small though, if you have fat fingers you'll never get it to work.

Handruin

Administrator
I just went to the site; at the bottom left it shows a bunch of urls flashing, "waiting for then the URL. The last of them is Facebook. Curious as to why. BTW, I'm not on Facebook. Probably for common logon?

Also noticed that the start date for each thread is blank?

The new forum software supports login from more than one source if you want to use Google, Twitter, or Facebook and there is also the option to "recommend" a thread on social media sites. I haven't enabled the log in options so there may be queries happening under the covers that I'm not aware of for those components as well. I'm going to investigate enabling the Google log in options to start and maybe eventually the other two down the road. I can look into disabling the social media share options but they might be useful for some exposure.

I'm not seeing an issue with the start date being blank on any of the three styles. Can you post a screen capture of where you're seeing this so I can look into it more?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm not seeing much info on the mobile version. Did the news end in 2015? There is no last reply fir threads so it looks like each must be found individually. The front page has some random stuff like Santilli AMD processor from way back when. I don't know what is normal or not, but the desktop version is better. There is no link for full version at the bottom.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I haven't been able to replicate this consistently, but sometimes when I click the Home link I get logged out. Has anyone else seen this?

Handruin

Administrator
I haven't been able to replicate this consistently, but sometimes when I click the Home link I get logged out. Has anyone else seen this?

The home link is broken...it's configured to point to the directory named "forum" which is a carry-over from this site. I'll see if I can fix that. I don't know if it addresses the loss of a session though. That might still be an issue. If it happens again, can you let me know what browser you're using and roughly what time it occurred and I can comb the access logs for more details? If not, no worries. I appreciate all the help so far from everyone.

Handruin

Administrator
I think I've fixed the home button URL. Let me know if you reproduce the session issue and I'll let you know if I also notice it.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I tested this on mobile and it works there as well. The icon is pretty small though, if you have fat fingers you'll never get it to work.

I can't even see the button on moble even when zoomed in. Software feels good, 2FA IS a great step up. I'm all in.

Edit: Now that I've logged in I see the dots. Makes sense.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Mobile: Once you've read to the bottom of a thread it would be nice if there was a no more than 2 click way to get to the unread thread list.

Handruin

Administrator
Mobile: Once you've read to the bottom of a thread it would be nice if there was a no more than 2 click way to get to the unread thread list.

Can you give me a little more info? Is this the same as scrolling to the top and clicking "new posts"? I guess what I'm asking is if "new posts" was also at the bottom of the thread does that address your concern?

Handruin

Administrator
I agree that the little dots are troublesome to navigate with. I'll look into a way to address that.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I have a feature request. Is it possible to have a user option that controls how YouTube video links are displayed. I think Dave mentioned that he prefers plain links but others prefer the embedded video. I know it's minor, but allowing the user to select their preferred method would be nice.

ddrueding

Fixture
I prefer the embedded video, but I remember someone mentioning that it broke something in the mobile client. If that isn't an issue in the new system I'd rather go back to embedded.

Handruin

Administrator
If I'm understanding your request it sounds like you want this to be rendered based on individual user preference. I'll see what options I can add but natively I don't think the forum does what you've requested. As it is now it may just be one or the other in regards to embedded or not.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'm very satisfied with the current BBS software, its up-time and performance. Thanks again for your work on the site and it's upkeep.

I don't view site via a mobile device so I don't require a change. But if any change(s) helps you more easily administer the site go for it.

Really do not like the text font on the site. With my 43" 4k monitor I enlarge the text quite a bit so it's easier to read but the new font is "harder" to read/see even enlarged. Can I change that on my end?

Nothing really bad with the demo site. Small annoyances :

I don't like the pastel orange color of some elements.
I don't see where to chose another color scheme.
My avatar didn't follow like the one of some others.
I've seen "points" and "likes" in the members section. Do we really need these?

This is mostly nitpicking and none of the above are show stopper.

Agree with Coug. Don't care for the orange and don't see where to change it. Don't care either way for avatars. Don't care about "points" or "likes" either.

I prefer the embedded video.

Either way is fine. You can click the "go to site" button on an embedded video if you want the URL.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm very satisfied with the current BBS software, its up-time and performance. Thanks again for your work on the site and it's upkeep.

I don't view site via a mobile device so I don't require a change. But if any change(s) helps you more easily administer the site go for it.

Really do not like the text font on the site. With my 43" 4k monitor I enlarge the text quite a bit so it's easier to read but the new font is "harder" to read/see even enlarged. Can I change that on my end?

Agree with Coug. Don't care for the orange and don't see where to change it. Don't care either way for avatars. Don't care about "points" or "likes" either.

Either way is fine. You can click the "go to site" button on an embedded video if you want the URL.

Thanks for the feedback. Have you tried either of the other two themes installed on the new forum? You can change by clicking in the lower left corner where it says "default style". Let me know if either of those styles helps with the font. They use the fontawesome pack.

I'm also working on getting a new logo to modernize it a bit more.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Thanks for the feedback. Have you tried either of the other two themes installed on the new forum? You can change by clicking in the lower left corner where it says "default style". Let me know if either of those styles helps with the font. They use the fontawesome pack.

I'm also working on getting a new logo to modernize it a bit more.

OK see where to change the style now. I like the "Flat Awesome" fonts. Of course the logo and "bars" need to be changed to the StorageForum blue instead of red. ;)

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I just noticed the facebook and twitter javascripts, are those needed for mobile logins? Or needed at all? I'll just noscript them off anyways so no biggie. New site has qikl.us script that I'd enable if needed. Old site didn't have a script save for the google analytics one?

Handruin

Administrator
I just noticed the facebook and twitter javascripts, are those needed for mobile logins? Or needed at all? I'll just noscript them off anyways so no biggie. New site has qikl.us script that I'd enable if needed. Old site didn't have a script save for the google analytics one?

Yeah this has been brought up a few times. Seems people seem suspicious about them. The new forum software integrates with social media. I can disable some of them and they are not at all required for using the forum. There is also the option to log in using an external authentication source such as Google, Twitter, or Facebook if I enable those.

I've not enabled google analytics on the demo site. I'll enable it once the site officially moves over. I don't want to track demo traffic to a different domain name anyway. It's obviously up to you if you want to block or enable it.

Handruin

Administrator
OK see where to change the style now. I like the "Flat Awesome" fonts. Of course the logo and "bars" need to be changed to the StorageForum blue instead of red. ;)

Yeah I have a bit of work to do with adjusting the styling and colors. It's on my list. :) Tonight I'm tuning the database parameters to make sure we don't use beyond the amount of RAM on the system.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Missing elements? I enabled all scripts and reloaded page.

missing elements.JPG

Edit: Ghostery not blocking anything. Nothing to block. :) and disabled ABP as well. Still missing elements?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Yeah I have a bit of work to do with adjusting the styling and colors. It's on my list. :) Tonight I'm tuning the database parameters to make sure we don't use beyond the amount of RAM on the system.

Obviously colors are number 600 on the list of things you need to make sure are working perfectly first. Dark-blue, Medium-blue, Light-blue and Black text on white background are the only colors we need. ;)

Handruin

Administrator
Missing elements? I enabled all scripts and reloaded page.

View attachment 1134

Edit: Ghostery not blocking anything. Nothing to block. :) and disabled ABP as well. Still missing elements?

Where on the forum are you seeing this?!? Does this happen if you use a private browser window or incognito mode?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Where on the forum are you seeing this?!? Does this happen if you use a private browser window or incognito mode?

The main page: https://www.qikl.us/index.php upper right corner.

Win7 Pro, Firefox 48, regular session, not private or incognito mode. Some more missing "buttons."

missing elements2.JPGmissing elements3.JPG

EDIT: Default style working OK, must be missing or mis-configured elements in the different styles.
EDIT2: I actually like the Default style better (it seems more polished) than the Flat Awesome just don't like the default font.

Handruin

Administrator
The main page: https://www.qikl.us/index.php upper right corner.

Win7 Pro, Firefox 48, regular session, not private or incognito mode. Some more missing "buttons."

View attachment 1135View attachment 1136

EDIT: Default style working OK, must be missing or mis-configured elements in the different styles.
EDIT2: I actually like the Default style better (it seems more polished) than the Flat Awesome just don't like the default font.

That is odd. I'm not seeing that problem with Firefox 48. I have ghostery and uBlock plugins. This is what I see:

forum_thread_views.jpg forum_stats.jpg

Handruin

Administrator
mubs, I'm curious if it's just a crappy formatting issue? If I really make my browser window smaller there is a date under the thread title. This is totally a layout issue but I'm thinking this is why it doesn't look right when the browser window is very wide.

start_date_issue.jpg

start_date_issue_worse.jpg

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
That is odd. I'm not seeing that problem with Firefox 48. I have ghostery and uBlock plugins. This is what I see:

View attachment 1140 View attachment 1139

Weird. If I'm the only one with the missing elements it's probably on my end. Not a concern. I'd just like the "flat awesome" text font on the DEFAULT style with standard storageforum DK-Blue, Blue, Li-Blue, black-on-white colors and I'd be happy.

Thanks again for getting the new BBS software up and running.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
mubs, I'm curious if it's just a crappy formatting issue? If I really make my browser window smaller there is a date under the thread title. This is totally a layout issue but I'm thinking this is why it doesn't look right when the browser window is very wide.
You're right, Handy, there is a date next to the OP's handle under the thread title for every thread. I just didn't pay attention to it; my bad. I saw the Start Date column header and assumed the dates should be there in a column. This isn't a biggie; no need to sweat this one now that we know where it is. Thanks!

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Can you give me a little more info? Is this the same as scrolling to the top and clicking "new posts"? I guess what I'm asking is if "new posts" was also at the bottom of the thread does that address your concern?

Exactly. I found the home button plus New posts would get me there in two clicks but a new posts button at the bottom would be even better.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
The improvements from the new software sound great. I support whatever is easiest for you to manage, Doug, and appreciate all you do to maintain this community.

LunarMist

I'm still not finding any quick way to get to the last post in a thread, i.e., Last Message just lists the poster name.
To get to the last post, I am clicking on the thread, selecting the last page number, and then scrolling all the way to the bottom.
Is that just the way it is? I see there is a "latest" in the higher level page for the whole forum, which is good.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
I'm still not finding any quick way to get to the last post in a thread, i.e., Last Message just lists the poster name.
To get to the last post, I am clicking on the thread, selecting the last page number, and then scrolling all the way to the bottom.
Is that just the way it is? I see there is a "latest" in the higher level page for the whole forum, which is good.
Clicking the date under the author of the last post takes me to the last post.

LunarMist

Clicking the date under the author of the last post takes me to the last post.

The dates are in some pale grey color and not linked to anything. I'm using Win 7 if that makes any difference.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
Inside the fora the dates under "Last Message" are still grey, but linked. The ones at higher levels are grey and not linked.

EDIT: "Last" not "Latest";