10 gig Ethernet

Stereodude

Not really a
I was close to having this finished when the drywall anchor holding the wall plate tore out while I tried to tighten it down. Now I have to come up with something else for the wall plate's screw to fasten into which is delaying the wrap-up. However, I have it plugged in and working in the mean time. Here's a file being copied from the server to my desktop/workstation.

10gig_speeds.png

Stereodude

Not really a
All done:

fiber_coax_wallplate.jpg

My drywall repair sanded down the roller texture in the paint above the plate, but next time the wall gets painted it'll blend in fine. I glued and screwed a piece of plywood to the back of the drywall so that a longer wood screw in the top hole of the wallplate would fasten into the plywood where the drywall is missing. I dusted the screw head with white spray paint so it would blend in better.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Shouldn't the box be attached to a stud or cross brace, and the faceplate screwed into the box?

Stereodude

Not really a
Shouldn't the box be attached to a stud or cross brace, and the faceplate screwed into the box?
Low voltage wiring doesn't require a box to comply with the building code. You'll never see them used. If you have access to the wall before the drywall goes up they use a boxless ring that attaches to the stud. They make old work boxless rings you can use to hold the wallplate, but I've always just cut a rectangular hole in the drywall to accommodate the number and layout of the keystones and then used drywall anchors to hold the faceplate. Never had a problem before this one.

Handruin

Administrator
My electrician installed this in the office while the walls were open many years ago. This must be the boxless ring you're referring to? For the other rooms the 1-gange wall adapter was just floating and not attached to the stud. It had little arms that grab the drywall when you tighten the screws.

network behind wall.PNG

Stereodude

Not really a

Stereodude

Not really a
So on my latest low voltage wiring project I decided to use these retrofit "old work" rings. Home Depot sells the single gang versions (orange colored) for $1.34 where I live.

In 10gig news, I've actually done something that has my server pushing more than 1gig for sustained periods. Doing a mass conversion of FLAC to AAC on my desktop (E5-2687W v2) and my dual E5-2690 v2 system both going at the same time pulls around 1.5gig from the server. It would be a bit higher, but the dual E5-2690 v2 system only has 1gig ethernet and can't pull data fast enough to completely saturate the CPUs. I have another 10 gig card I could put in it, but I currently don't have any more open 10 gig SFP+ ports on my switches.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Lately I see more NAS products and the motherboards using Base-T. What are people using for 10GbE switches? I know there was the MicroTic, but it doesn't bridge SFP+ and Base-T.

LunarMist

What would you use that has both types of ports? I can only find the QNAP with the bad reviews.

LunarMist

I was just thinking that some motherboards have the 10GbE now, but it's just the regular RJ45 not the SFP+ modular. It's probably not worthwhile.

If you have 3 computers and 2 storage servers/NAS, for example all on the SFP+ interface, what switch do you use to connect them all?

Stereodude

Not really a
I ordered a Mikrotik CRS309-1G-8S+IN to expand my 10gig network since I'm currently out of 10GbE SFP+ ports and I'm finally getting around to assembling the improved nightly backup server out of the parts I had collected for it.

Also grabbed a few more LC/LC fiber cables and SFP+ modules from FS.com

Stereodude

Not really a
So the latest 2.10 SwOS release from Mikrotik fixed the slow transfer gremlins I was having. All 3 of my Mikrotik switches had 2.7 and there was wonkiness on some 10gig -> 1gig traffic. Some computers with a 1gig connection could saturate the link pulling from a device connected to the switch via 10gig. Other computers with 1gig connection would be way below 1gig during transfers. 10gig -> 10gig could saturate the link and 1gig -> 1gig could saturate the link, but not all 10gig -> 1gig.

Other people online were complaining about it, some of them for years. I noticed it before a bit, but it didn't bother me much as it seemed fairly minor. I noticed it again tonight, and it seemed much worse with the new CRS309-1G-8S+IN in the data path. One of my computers could only pull a few MB/sec from my server and another was ~25MB/sec. But other computers were still 100+MB/sec. Anyhow, after upgrading to 2.10 the computer that was only doing a few MB/sec is >80MB/sec and the other at 25MB/sec is now >100MB/sec.