1.5TB Drive

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Does anyone have the Seagate 1500GB drive? I don't trust the poorly packaged Newegg OEM drives and therefore have none. Maybe Merc has a 20-pack of the new drives for his *data* storage needs. :)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If you just bought one they'll ship it in a box that's 8 inches on a side, filled with packing peanuts. Since it's a Seagate drive, it'll be in a static bag that's been wrapped on each axis with bubble wrap.

I wouldn't buy a single drive like that either.

Given how god-awful the AS-series Barracudas are - very hot and very, very slow - I'm not touching 1.5TB drives until Samsung releases one.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
If you just bought one they'll ship it in a box that's 8 inches on a side, filled with packing peanuts. Since it's a Seagate drive, it'll be in a static bag that's been wrapped on each axis with bubble wrap.

I wouldn't buy a single drive like that either.

Given how god-awful the AS-series Barracudas are - very hot and very, very slow - I'm not touching 1.5TB drives until Samsung releases one.

Why, does Newegg pack the Samsung drives better?

Mercutio

The Samsung drives are shipped in a rigid plastic shell rather than just a static bag. I think they do better as one off drive shipments, too.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Yes, that's how it arrived. There was enough packing material that the bubble-wrapped drive remained centered in the box, which was a good thing as UPS gave it their usual smash-a-side treatment.

I'm not sure I get it how a rigid shell a la Sea Shell or similar would be that much better. With the shell, once the shell starts to deform from impact they usually lose resistance relatively fast. At least with bubble wrap you have to overcome each bubble.

*shrug* The drive works, Home Server is installed, and I'm backing up my workstations to it. Starting with my wife's of course.

1.36TB formatted.

Mercutio

Er... they wrap the Samsung drives in the shells with bubble wrap, too.
Also, if the shell does get deformed, you can usually see it, because the little plastic protective bubbles, once pushed in, stay pushed in.