1TB Sansung test

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Well it works fine for me, despite any test results.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have 5 of them and they are working fine. Further, and this is the first time I can say this of a Samsung hard drive, they are fast.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Fast as in seeks or fast as in throughput?

I was thinking of replacing the dog-slow Seagate drives in my NAS, making the bump to 1TB. Obviously, how fast a random bit of data comes up is far more important than how fast it can throw data off....

ddrueding

Fixture
Both aren't bad. But I generally refer to "snappiness" which is probably more seeks than throughput.

To be honest, with that much cache and areal density, it is hard to be slow.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Access timez rulEz!

When speaking of hard drive performance, access time is the One Thing. For did not the Great Prophet Tannin say "One thing to rule them all, one thing to find them, one thing to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them!"?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Aha! But Paugie, if we were to tell you what the orthodox doctrine is, then that would be admitting you to the Inner Circle of Secret Knowledge handed down across the centuries by the Custodians of Civilisation in the Service of the Great Prophet, which would place you in Mortal Peril of your Soul.

Excuse me, I have to go and sharpen my thumbscrews now.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Sheesh. What a complicated way to say "If I tell you I have to kill you". Bond films would have flopped if you were the dialog writer, Tannin!

paugie

Storage is cool
I prefer the acquisition of knowledge through the centuries than torture.

Can I jump now?
uh, ok. I'll wait.

Now? Later? Just tell me when.

Sit? Yes, yes.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Access timez rulEz!

When speaking of hard drive performance, access time is the One Thing. For did not the Great Prophet Tannin say "One thing to rule them all, one thing to find them, one thing to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them!"?

You obviously haven't played Hearts of Iron 2 have you? ;)

The save game files are in an XML like format—15MB + each. It takes a while to load the save game files. On faster (sequential transfer) drives, the games load faster. Mind you, I won't be swapping out the Atlas II as my boot drive anytime soon, but performance is relative...

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I'd rather play footsie with the traffic than waste precious hours on Hearts of Iron 2 or Supreme Commander (whatever those things are). On the whole, they would probably be improved by increasing the wait. That would give you more time to repent the folly of your ways.

Real men play with databases. Or spreadsheets. Or Photoshop. Or AutoCAD. Or anything that actually does something useful.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Real men play with databases. Or spreadsheets. Or Photoshop. Or AutoCAD. Or anything that actually does something useful.

So, does being an Oracle dba, Solaris/SAP R/3 sysadmin qualify me as a real man then? ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
That is what having multiple monitors is for! Besides, CS3 won't install until I get SP2 to install. Which won't happen until I re-install the OS, which is why I'm looking into SSDs with more urgency than before.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Absolutely. A Real man with a capital "J".

'macho, macho man!
I want to be, a macho man'

That is what having multiple monitors is for! Besides, CS3 won't install until I get SP2 to install. Which won't happen until I re-install the OS, which is why I'm looking into SSDs with more urgency than before.

Which is why you should have waited on a newer Intel CPU along with Eaglelake chipset. If you really want to be a geeky macho man with PS CS3, then you need more RAM, not SSD's. CS3 screams with tons of RAM and an octo CPU. Meh (OTAY), you should have gotten a Mac :D, all the geeky pro photogs use Macs ;).

http://www.barefeats.com/harper7.html

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ANALYSIS
The "early 2008" 4-core 2.8GHz Mac Pro is pretty much the equal of the "2006" 4-core 3.0GHz Mac Pro. However, if you plan to run Compressor, After Effects, Photoshop, Cinema 4D, or any app that uses all available cores, we recommend you get the 8-core version of the Mac Pro "Harpertown," regardless of the core frequencies.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To illustrate our point, here's the results of encoding a DVD using Compressor on the 3.2GHz 8-core Mac Pro. To get the 2-core and 4-core results, we used the "Processor" preference pane from the Apple Developer Exras folder to disable some of the available 8-cores.[/FONT]

ddrueding

Fixture
For a given price point, more cores means a lower clock on each core. Having a few less cores than you could possibly use ensures a decent percentage of your total processing power goes to non-multithreaded apps.

Mac evangelists remind me of Bose users. They are all convinced that they have the best stuff, and congratulate each other on their wise purchases, while everyone else knows better but is too polite to say anything.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Mac evangelists remind me of Bose users. They are all convinced that they have the best stuff, and congratulate each other on their wise purchases, while everyone else knows better but is too polite to say anything.

Very nice analogy!