22" vs 21" CRTs - Both are 20" Viewable so Wh

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I bought a Dell 2005FWP widescreen LCD but I got stuck with two of them that have bad backlight bleed-through. So, I'm returning them.

I'm thinking about just getting a nicer, bigger CRT. Looking around on Newegg, I see 22" CRTs as well as 21" CRTs. Both are specified as having 20" viewable. So, what's the difference between a 22" CRT and a 21" CRT? Is one flatter than the other?

C

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Depends on the particulr models, Clocker. The Mitsubishi ones are quite different. The 22 (I own one and love it) is their top monitor: the best thing they make. The 21, while a worthy device in its own right, is not to be compared to the 2070SB.

The thing with CRT screens is that it is difficult to get the picture close to the edge of the tube. All sorts of reflection and distortion issues come into play. Now you can deal with these by careful engineering, but I imagine the thinking behind the 22 is that, by having that extra inch to play with, they can just concentrate on great picture quality free of any complictions.

Can't speak for other brands, but the Mitsubishi 22 is simply the best monitor I have ever seen. I love it and it was worth every penny.

(Specially since it was Tannin's money.)

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Sorry to hear of the problems with the 2005FWP, Clocker :(

I'd presume that the 22" with 20" viewable would have a wider bezel?

Handruin

Administrator
I'm also sorry to hear about your experience with the 2005FWP, you seemed so excited to get one.

I can't comment on the 21 vs 22 inch reasoning, but I will also put in a positive word for Mitsubishi CRT's. Knowing that not all are equal, I'm still very happy with my IIyama VMPro 450 which sports a 19" Mitsubishi Diamondtron CRT. Given that my monitor is several years old now, I can only speculate that they've improved since mine and would likely buy another brand featuring their CRT's, if not a Mitsubishi directly.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Since Sony exited the consumer CRT market a while back, I think the only obtainable large tubes are, in fact, Mitsubishis.

Which is fine, 'cause they are gorgeous.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Do you guys think one of those 22" Mitsubishi's would look better than the 2005FPW? The only think I'd miss is Widescreen. I use one of those big as Sony widescreen monitors at work and I absolutely love it. the 2005FPW was really nice in widescreen to. I really like the widescreen aspect ratio.

I was also looking forward to playing HL2 in widescreen, I still have not touched it yet. :eekers:

I may pickup a 2005FPW later this year when they get the backlight problems fixed. Who knows. I'm really flip-flopping a lot on this atm.

C

ddrueding

Fixture
I can also vouch for Mitsu 22" CRTs. When I had the space, it was the primary monitor of my setup. Absolutely beautiful. Now I'm down to just a single 191T :(

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
After thinking about it for a while, I have decided to keep my JAN A01 monitor. It is an improvement in backlighting and the two stuck (red) pixels are in an inconspicuous area. I never would have seen them if I didn't actually run a test. The more I think about it, the more I realize this backlight 'issue' is no big deal for me. I think this issue has gotten blown out of proportions in the forums with a 'group think'. My laptop has more backlight bleeding than this panel does.

I never look at a blank screen and I thought Doom3 sucked because it was just too dark all the time anyway. What kind of space Marine doesn't have a gun with a flashlight mount on it anyway!!!!

For $550, I think this is a great panel.

Now, I just need to find me a nice 256MB 6800GT. Off to Microcenter to see if they have any of the $320 cards in stock yet....

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
My lucky day...got a 6800GT 256MB AGP for $272 today at Microcenter. It was an open box clearance item! Seems to work fine.