27 hours

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I think the 42-hour day you mentioned comes from experiments where subjects were put into caves for long periods. In the absence of visual cues for time of day subjects at first shift to a 25-hour day, starting each new day about one hour later (by normal standards) than the day before. After a few weeks there is another lengthening of the "day" to ~42 hours. Interestingly, subjects will be asleep and awake in the same ratio as they were when on a normal 24-hour day. Someone who normally sleeps 7 hours would sleep 12. The times between meals would be equally prolonged. While the 25-hour day may have a basis in evolution (days were longer when the more primitive parts of our physiology were evolving) I don't know where the 42-hour day comes from.

freeborn

Learning Storage Performance
Around 80 hours. This was in early '90, my friends and I finished work about 10pm on Frieday night and began a marathon run to Anaheim, no hotel, group of us young dumb folks hit Magic Mountain the next morning, then Universal studios, for the nights we hit some clubs I forget the name of, and Disneyland. After the weekend we headed back north. Interesting hallucinations on the way back( Peter Pan chasing us and turnstiles with sharpened stiles trying to cut us apart) but I had an appointment at MEPS in Oakland and no time for sleep. After Meps I hit 880 S and woke up about 6 hours later at a stop light in Los Altos -- I lived in South San Jose at the time. I've never done anything like it since and I don't recommend it.

Free

Grim

What is this storage?
jtr1962 said:
...While the 25-hour day may have a basis in evolution (days were longer when the more primitive parts of our physiology were evolving) I don't know where the 42-hour day comes from.

So, um, the earth's rotation is accelerating? Incidentally, I've seen several studies involving isolating people from night/day, and they all agree that we shift to a longer day, they all agree that we generally shift to the same cycle as the people around us, and they all disagree on what that cycle is. I've seen 27, 30, 35, 36, and 42. I suspect that the researchers rounded at least one of those.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Did I tell you guys about the interesting accidents that I saw on I-5 on the way to and from San Diego?

ddrueding

Fixture
Sorry guys...I did make it. Just haven't had internet access since I left.

After making it up here in good time, we encountered her ex and decided to get the heck out of town. We've been camping along a river for the last few days and loving it.

ddrueding

Fixture
OK...just got back. The return drive took about 12 hours thanks to traffic in Sacremento. Total milage for the trip was just over 1500 miles and cost $150 in gas. Next time I will be flying, as that drive was near fatal saveral times. Havent been home or slept yet, drove straight from Oregon to work in Monterey. It'll be a long night too; Doom3 just got in and needs to be installed on all the systems.

For those that might be interested.

This was buried in the back somewhere, we had 2/3rds of the front page the same day. I'll see if I can find a scanner that can handle a full newspaper page.

This project has been responsible for some serious late nights, but to be honest I can't remember any specifics besides eventually sleeping on the cement floor face down.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
ddrueding said:
Very interesting. I wish you and your dad all the best on your new business venture. The fact that you're breaking even, at least on operating costs, is a good sign.

This project has been responsible for some serious late nights, but to be honest I can't remember any specifics besides eventually sleeping on the cement floor face down.
I sleep on the cement floor in my workroom now and then to help straighten out my back. It works. It also makes you appreciate a bed. I've also fallen asleep in the subway a few times, but that's another story.

ddrueding

Fixture
About to go to bed...so here's the current tally....

65 hours without any rest at all; no laying down, very little sitting down besides a few hours of driving.

About 7 hours of sleep in the last 7 days. This includes a series of 30-minute naps 4 days ago.

Being marginally manic has it's advantages... :eekers:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Unbelievable! More than 36 hours awake and I could fall asleep standing up. Of course than has it's advantages as well.

ddrueding

Fixture
Leaving tomorrow for Portland again. But this time I'm flying. Due to the late purchase time of my tickets and the lack of funds a long-distance relationship leads to, I'll be flying out of San Jose to Portland via Los Angeles with a 3-hour stopover. This makes a 1.5 hour flight take 7 hours....ugh, I wish I had money...still, it's better than driving.

Handruin

Administrator
For a second there, I thought you were coming to Portland Maine. :D I figured I'd stop by to say hi.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
mubs said:
Isn't that logic so twisted? San Jose to Portland via L.A. Geez.

Yeah I once flew directly over the final destination airport on the way to the next to last stop. CIN->ATL->CHA

ddrueding

Fixture
My craziest was SFO-Denver-DFW-Houston-Austin. Progressively shorter legs, spiraling into my desination.

Though this one is pretty stupid...

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Considered taking the train?

Yes, it's twelve hours, but it's overnight to Portland.

ddrueding

Fixture
sechs said:
Considered taking the train?

Yes, it's twelve hours, but it's overnight to Portland.

The coast starlight is a beautiful train, I've taken it many times. Even the fact that it only runs once a day isn't that big an issue. However, the fact that it has been (with me on it) over 8 hours late for a 4 hour trip. I've heard of it being over 12 hours late.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
It's a sad but true fact that outside of the Northeast Corridor Amtrak's on time reliability is pretty poor, but I had no idea they could be that late. I think the train would go faster hitched to my bicycle. :mrgrn:

Frankly, I'm shocked, especially given that Amtrak schedules already have quite a bit of padding in them. A few minutes late on a trip of a couple of hours is fine, but taking 12 hours to do a 4 hour trip? :eek: No wonder they're having trouble getting people to take the train. Of course, the problem as far as I'm aware of it is because most of Amtrak's trains run over freight railroads who think nothing of putting them on a siding for two hours to let a hotshot freight pass. It also doesn't help that most engineers won't even try to make up time when they're running late, and in many cases it wouldn't make much difference since the schedule is based on running close to the speed limit. The main exception to this is of course the Northeast Corridor which Amtrak owns. Even here, I'm still annoyed at the amount of padding in the schedule. A local shouldn't take more than three hours NYC to Washington (224.6 miles) but most are scheduled for 3.5 to 4. The expresses are scheduled for 2:40 but could make in about 2:10 running at current speed limits. The sooner Amtrak gets a clue that people want fast trains and on time trains, the sooner it will actually make a profit.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have been on a Coast Starlight running twelve hours late. The issues with this train (as well as the Sunset Limited) are all with Union Pacific and rarely, if ever, with Amtrak. The states of Washington, Oregon, and California have made sure that Amtrak's end of the deal is up and running.

One may quible about padding train schedules, but everybody in the transit business does it. Airlines always pad the arrival times for planes so that they're always on time. With a train, it's better to often be early than to be consistently late. If trains just ran, rather than being on a schedule, they'd make better time -- but, then, you'd never know when to catch them.