4 Athlon MP 2100+ in a single 1U enclosure.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
This beast has been developped by Angstrom Microsystems.
  • Technical Specification:
    Form Factor 1U (29.5" x 16.75" x 1.75")
    Processor 4 Athlon MP 2100+ processors
    Chipset AMD 760MPX
    RAM (max) Up to 8 GB of PC2100 DDR
    Max Storage Up to 320GB IDE storage
    Drive Controller IDE
    Peripherals CDROM
    Graphics 2 Video Ports
    Communications 2 Serial ports, up to 2 10/100 Ethernet NICs
    Environment Supports Linux, Windows, FreeBSD
Here's the press release on CNet.
Known for its quality, engineering and breadth of deployment services, Angstrom is pushing the rackmount server envelope by packing 4 CPUs in a 1U system. Using two dual AMD-based motherboards, the Quad2100 doubles the density of current 1U solutions and is denser than competing blade solutions. Easily upgradeable, the Quad2100 product line is built for compute-intensive applications, including rendering, streaming, and scientific computing.
Their hit line is that a rack filled with their latest Quad2100 system would hold 168 Athlon MP processors. I haven't read any pricing detail so far. Pictures would have been nice too. Oh well, at least we know it exist.

Too bad I'm short of cash right now. A few of these would have been nice for my stats on F@h.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Will Rickards WT said:
I want to know how they are cooling that beast.

Several of these:

QuietColdCooler.jpg

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
While I don't have any picture, I suspect they must be using some sort of heat-pipe heatsinks, like those found inside Shuttle's cube PC or ECS iBuddie desknote. This is the most efficient cooling method I know for space-limited designs.

Traditional cooling methods wouldn't be efficient enough for a quad Athlon design inside a 1U enclosure IMO. You simply just can't put all that much 40mm fans inside a 1U enclosure.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Prof.Wizard said:
CougTek 4 U (since you were the one who brought the Redstone cluster too...):
RocketCalc Atlas
Was the Redstone from me? Maybe, I don't remember. Anyway, the 4xP4 you linked isn't all that impressive. IIRC, the Redstone (was it really me?) hold 8 PIII, so I don't see why the same couldn't be achievable with P4, given that they aren't so hard to cool off. Thanks for the link anyway. It would have been great if they could have stack 4 dual-P4 Xeon inside one case though.

I think I saw, a few weeks ago, a motherboard with a ServerWorks chipset that could host 4 P4 Xeon, now that's impressive too.

Venerable Green said:
Two motherboards?
Yep, kinda weird. I don't know how they did it (I want pictures!), but apparently they did. They must have designed two µ-ATX motherboards with two socket-A each, something that's very feasible if you shave most of the PCI / AGP slots. Also, you gotta keep in mind that it's a 29" rackmount enclosure, not a smallish 19". Two dually motherboards can fit inside a close to 30" case.