4-bay enclosure

grnsky

What is this storage?
can anyone recommend a good 4-bay enclosure? can anyone explain why raid is good? it seems copying my data to a couple different HDs will keep by data safe. i know this is raid mirroring but it's also just copy and paste. or am i missing something worth the extra price?

ddrueding

Fixture
4-bay enclosure. Internal? External? SATA? USB? Firewire? Network-attached?

The best place to get a quick introduction to RAID is here.

RAID-1 (mirroring) is pretty much copy and paste; except that it does it for every file transaction. You don't need to schedule it, or remember to do it. Also, if a hard drive dies, you can keep working as if nothing is wrong. You will want to replace the drive and rebuild the mirror, but you don't have to deal with it immediately.

What are your needs? How much storage space do you need? What do you plan on storing? What is your budget?

grnsky

What is this storage?
i'm planning on storing my music projects and tracks that i dj with. 500 gigs would be wise. the thing about mirroring is it won't leave any room for backing up files on my laptop drive - apps, library, etc. unless of course i schedule all that to the raid drive as well. my budget is somewhat flexible as long as i know i'm getting the right thing for my needs. thanks very much for your help.

--------------
powerbook ppc g4 1.2, 512mb, 60gig. OS X4.10

ddrueding

Fixture
500GB of redundancy connected to a Mac laptop? Sounds like you want a 2-drive external enlcosure that supports firewire.

I'd recommend the Buffalo DriveStation Duo 1TB. It ships with 2 500GB drives and has USB and Firewire connections. Keep in mind that since the two drives are storing identical copies of your data, you will only get half the advertised capacity. If you want more space, they sell a 1.5TB version that uses 750GB drives.