4-port SATA 1x PCIe on the cheap

Handruin

Administrator
Are there any reasonable 4-port SATA 1x PCIe cards for cheap ($20-$50) that anyone has tried? It doesn't have to have RAID, but should work with server 2003 in either 32 or 64 bit.

Handruin

Administrator
The closest Highpoint I can find that meets my needs is the 202640X1 which is actually a 4-port SAS card for about $130. The reviews (for what they are worth) rate it a 1 out of 5 due to poor software management.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The closest Highpoint I can find that meets my needs is the 202640X1 which is actually a 4-port SAS card for about $130. The reviews (for what they are worth) rate it a 1 out of 5 due to poor software management.

Yes, but I don't recall finding any others when I was in the same situation last summer. Do you need software for non-RAID use?

Handruin

Administrator
I doubt I would need their software for non raid use, so maybe it wouldn't matter. I'm considering using a software raid (server 2k3) or simply jbod. This isn't going to be a complex setup, so I wasn't looking for a higher class card like a 3ware, etc. It'll become another backup location for my main systems accessed via GigE network.

This card will be going in my PowerEdge sc420 which is limited to two onboard SATA ports and I'd like to expand on it. I guess I could use the PCIe 8x slot for the 4x card (I think they are backward compatible).

ddrueding

Fixture
They are technically compatible both ways, an 8x in a 1x slot and a 1x in an 8x slot. Unfortunately, no one told the motherboard manufacturers; they are putting an end on the slots and locating caps in the way of a larger card.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I would probably look at an inexpensive Promise PCI adapter if I could only spend $50.
Promise still has issues with those low-end cards. I have a couple that I just can't install on Windows Server machines for some reason. The drivers won't load.

Anyway, another decent option might just be to blow $100 on a motherboard with more SATA ports. That's what I did when I moved my file servers from AMD chips to Intel. It was cheaper than paying for a bunch of 3ware controllers.

Handruin

Administrator
I can spend more than $50, but it approaches exactly what you've suggested in buying a new motherboard which brings on other issues. I would have to buy a new case, which if I'm going that rout, I'll basically build a new system since this Dell case is proprietary along with other components used (PS and cooling).

Handruin

Administrator
It served its purpose for the $220ish I spent on it a few years ago, so I know what you're saying. Now I'm re-purposing it to another task and trying to find a nice balance of spending a little on it to get some more purpose from it.