6TB RAID5 Home Storage

bubme

What is this storage?
Hi guys,

I started running out of space at home, as i'm sure many of you can relate too, and I had a look around for a cheap, reliable solution (speed isn't much of an issue for me, as it's more archive storage than anything) and thought i'd put together a bit of a How-To on the solution I came up with.

Check it out, http://www.ashtec.org/content/view/13/9/

I'll do my best to answer any questions about the solution.

Thanks,

Ash

Handruin

Administrator
How come you didn't describe the hardware in the PC in your blog? I put together my own build list here for a similar device using freenas.

bubme

What is this storage?
So you just happen to sell the products you used in your NAS? That's quite a coincidence. :poke:

I'm actually just selling the enclosure, and the reason behind that is, here in Australia there is only one place which sells them, and they want about $550.00 for the same device. I brought mine direct from CFI, (manufactures) but it was a bit of work getting them in so I purchased a couple of extras.

I didn't intend for this post to be SPAM. I'll gladly take the links out of the article...

As for the computer hardware, it's nothing special:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4200+
M/B: Gigabyte 6A61KG04
RAM: 1GB
Hard Disk: WD Raptor 10k 74GB

bubme

What is this storage?
How come you didn't describe the hardware in the PC in your blog? I put together my own build list here for a similar device using freenas.

Thanks for the link, when I get a bit of time, i'm going to connect this enclosure to a FreeNAS box and see how it goes. I've got all the hardware at home, just need the time now! Maybe something to do over xmas :razz:

I've got a FreeNAS box running at the moment with 5 x 750gb Seagates connected to an Adaptec 8 port hardware RAID controller which works really well.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If you could get a decent ITX board in there you could probably resell that setup as a Windows Home Server or NAS.

bubme

What is this storage?
If you could get a decent ITX board in there you could probably resell that setup as a Windows Home Server or NAS.

I'm not really interested in reselling them, it's more just something to do for home storage.

I'll let you know how it goes when it's connected to the FreeNAS box.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm actually just selling the enclosure, and the reason behind that is, here in Australia there is only one place which sells them, and they want about $550.00 for the same device. I brought mine direct from CFI, (manufactures) but it was a bit of work getting them in so I purchased a couple of extras.

I didn't intend for this post to be SPAM. I'll gladly take the links out of the article...

As for the computer hardware, it's nothing special:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4200+
M/B: Gigabyte 6A61KG04
RAM: 1GB
Hard Disk: WD Raptor 10k 74GB

I find the hardware which runs the NAS as useful as the storage and array configuration just to get different ideas of what people use to build the systems. Yours seems more like a home PC that has bulk storage than a dedicated NAS. Reasons I say that are because of using XP, and a WD Raptor seem to be a bit much more than is needed for a simple NAS unit.

When I get around to building mine, I'll post the results of cost and performance. I was hoping to build it this quarter, but I'll likely wait until after the new year.