LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Same sh*t different day?

I bought a 300GB drive for testing and it seems to be the same mediocre drive as the 7200.7, but with three platters. The 7200.8 continues the tradition of ridiculous Barracuda access times. 8.0 msec seek, yeah right!

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
There seems to be a growing wave of bigger and not better drives.

Does this mean something?

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
It means something, but I don't know what something it might mean. . .
I suppose a R/W head on the end of an arm can only move so fast without having problems? Maybe the HD manufacturers need to start focusing more on performance rather than size. Though I'm sure there would be many people here who would be disappointed if they gave up making larger drives. Of course it's easy for me to talk because 60gb is more than enough for my personal computer.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I think half the problem is that it was Western Digital who ventured into the realm of high-speed IDE. Normally, you'd expect a faster drive to sell like hotcakes, but two things held the Raptors back: (a) they are only available in SATA, still a very small minority part of the market, and (b) they comne from Western Digital, a firm that is on the nose, quality-wise at present.

What a shame that the Raptor didn't come from Seagate (who can still make a humdinger of an IDE drive if they every just decide that they want to) or from Hitachi or even Maxtor.

Sigh

LunarMist

Is it just me or this worse than ever? Apparently not one of them has even bothered to buy a drive yet. Brilliant.

LunarMist

HDT_400_1.png

Unsurprisingly the 400GB model is similar to the 300GB model. Access times are long and seeks are on the loud side, probably due to the third platter. The SATA version will probably be the darling of the week at SR.

Anyway, it is good for bulk storage and cheaper than the Hitachi.

LunarMist

WB99_400_NTFS32.png

I noticed something strange upon further examination. There is a nearly continuous decay in transfer rate, which indicates there are a very large number of zones. Is this a new way of maximizing data density?

Bookmage

What is this storage?
Website
www.bookmage.net
Newegg has the 400GB Seagate IDE in stock!!!!
for only $300 USD!!!
300$ for 400GB?!

http://www.newegg.com/app/View
ProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-068&depa=1

now I'm just waiting for the SATA to come out at the same price :D
and for some nice SATA 8 port controller to go on sale

LunarMist

Last week they were on sale at CUSA for $240 with a $30 rebate to boot. That was still reasonable even for one like me who is too lazy to send in the rebate. ;)

Bookmage

What is this storage?
Website
www.bookmage.net
and this morning the price is at 350$ :/

yes I saw that at CompUSSR.
I thought about getting it. The price was good even without the the rebate cuz I don't do rebates. Unfortunately some football games distracted me and they were closed by the time I realised it was Saturday..... :D
Now I gotto wait for the end of the year clearance or something.

LunarMist

Yes, but so is the one from NewEgg. I have not seen the SATA version for sale yet.

Bookmage

What is this storage?
Website
www.bookmage.net