940: how to use it....

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I can't get XP Pro, or 2003 to install on my new box.

I'm currently running 5 different mem tests, and, that's actually running 65-80 percent of the processors, with nearly 90% of the ram.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
How does the install fail? Blue screen of death? It's not a driver issue for the hard drive controller?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Sam:
That worked to get past the BSOD, which happens right as I'm starting windows.

Problem is, the drives are SATA, and it doesn't show any drives to load. I don't have an install disk, so, it sounds like I'm going to be doing the F6 thing, downloading the drivers for this motherboard from Gigabyte, putting them on a floppy, and loading them that way?

ddrueding

Fixture
If AHCI is disabled, no drivers are required. No F6, nothing. If it can't see the drive, reset the BIOS to defaults (and make sure AHCI is off again), and double-check the drive cables.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
More fun:
Went here,
http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Mo...58&ost=windows<sup>®</sup>+xp+64bit#anchor_os

and downloaded and F6 the drivers for the SATA Raid installation. Just realized I might have to install the Chipset package as well.

When I turned off ACHI I got through the BSOD, but no drives are detected.

The odd part is it boots in 7 just fine, all drives are detected as well.

Removeable drives have to be pulled prior to booting, or they seem to get in the way.

The removeable drives are on the 4 drive SATA, and the X-25's are on the Sata Raid controller.

For now, I'm just sticking with 7...

Handruin

Administrator
Greg, take a few minutes and integrate the gigabyte drivers into a custom install using nlite that I linked above. Once you do this, you won't have to mess with driver downloads because windows will have the correct drivers built in.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Greg, take a few minutes and integrate the gigabyte drivers into a custom install using nlite that I linked above. Once you do this, you won't have to mess with driver downloads because windows will have the correct drivers built in.

Next on my list. Just want to step away from it, and leave it alone for awhile...

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Also check to make sure the install CD has the latest service pack on it. If it is a original disk it won't load no matter what you do with the F6.

"Do YOU want to buy and/or dig out the USB floppy drive you'd need to do that on XP or Server 2003?"

I have a TEAC USB floppy just for such occasions. At work we are still doing XP and Server 2003 installs, so it is a must have.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The disks are old, seem to be failing as well. Component errors on installs, files missing, it's like the disks are breaking down, and the information is degrading.

I've been trying a bunch of different DVD/CD readers, and on different machines.

Will MSFT supply new disks for old OS?

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I've gotten disks replaced before from Microsoft. They charged $15. and required me to repeat a number that was printed on the inside rim of the original to prove I had an original. They won't send a new key!

Do not forget the benefits of P2P with a good ISO burner.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
THANKS!

I would love to have 2000 Pro working in VMWare just for giggles.

Shutting down now and seeing how well I did with my Nlite iso.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Nlite was a no go.
One of the ISO's was fine until I typed in my code, then it got mad...

MSFT's VM looked pretty good, but, the games I wanted to run need GL support, and MSFT
says that's a no no...

Called MSFT, and, it was rather intresting that the person I talked to never mentioned running VM XP in Ultimate...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Greg, I'll be happy to hook you up with an ISO of whatever you need. You're on your own for a product key though.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Sam, that's part of what is so weird. I have a copy of 2000, and, I have both the sticker, and the code from the original install, from my Server, what, 11 years ago?

When I try and validate, they say the code is invalid. I've tried it with a different ISO, same result.

Anyone have a working copy of 2000 they want to sell cheap, with code?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
HMMMM.

Same disk, same computer using VirtualBox, the 2000 install worked, and is in progress???

Why can't I get the MsDos that is the first os in Sun Virtual box to work?
Where can I find a MS Dos image?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Greg, I don't think DOS based games are really going to be pushing your GTX295. I would recommend downloading Steam (it's a free account) and grabbing a demo of Just Cause 2 or something like that.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Currently taking similar advice. FarCry2 is installed, at all the highest setting, and, so far, it's pretty neat.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
UPDATE: I'm watching Miami play Dallas, JLO is singing in PowerDVD 10, I'm ripping my CD's to my hard drive, using EAC, typing this, and I'm using 5% of the processor, and 18% of the RAM???
Super computers are here...

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
UPDATE: I'm watching Miami play Dallas, JLO is singing in PowerDVD 10, I'm ripping my CD's to my hard drive, using EAC, typing this, and I'm using 5% of the processor, and 18% of the RAM???
Super computers are here...

Maybe you can allocate more RAM if that would help. :dunno:

My system has twice the RAM, 50% more cores, and 40% higher clock than yours. It is faster than the old setup, yet still takes annoyingly long for some PS operations. I could use a 3-4x faster system, which is years away. By then I will want more performance yet. That's just the way of life. :smurf: