A question about LCD's

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
CRT's can display almost any resolution known to man--today's 19" CRT will still display odd resolutions like old DOS games 640 x 400 (not 480) or even 320 x 240.

Can LCD's do this as well? I see a lot of info where they only list certain resolutions, and anything much below the optimal (1280 x 1024 for most 17" & 19") like 800 x 600 is pretty crappy.

ddrueding

Fixture
LCDs have a native resolution where the number of actual pixels is the same as the number of pixels trying to be represented. As CRTs don't have actual pixels, they represent all resolutions within their range equally. All LCDs I've used can operate in nearly any resolution by using different tricks. When using lower resolutions, the most common is to spread a single logical pixel across multiple physical pixels, this usually looks like ass. The other (less enviable) technique is to simply use the middle 640x480 physical pixels to make the image, giving you a 10" screen for your old games.

The best solution is to get a LDC with a high-enough resolution that the phisical pixels divide evenly into the logical ones. (eg. each 640x480 pixel is represented by 4 physical pixels if the native res was 1280x1024) They look great in these circumstances.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Thanks, that is what I thought. But I'm starting to think I'll go for another CRT instead.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
While I always try to use my LCD's native resolution or integral dividends thereof, I've never noticed horrible display of another resolution when stretched to full screen.

What exactly are you planning to display on the monitor?

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Every so often, I switch over (KVM) to my Win98/DOS box and play Master of Magic/Orion, UFO (X-Com) or some other old DOS game. Space does not give me the luxury of having two monitors.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I honestly don't think that it's going to make a noticeable difference to you. I have a number of games that will only play at 1024x768 on my 1600x1200 native monitor, and they look just as good to me as they did on a CRT.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Master of Magic, specifically, looks like the worst kind of ass on every LCD I've tried it on (er... mostly on laptops).

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Ahhh, Master of Magic. That was a great game. There was nothing quite as fun as slaughtering end game enemy units with ridiculously magically suped-up elite spearmen (forget what race I used --they still had eight guys per spearmen unit but they also got extra hits or toughness or something).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Ultra Elite Halfling Slingers with Lionheart and Invulnerability for teh win!
Nothing like one-shotting Demi-God heroes and Sky Drakes. :D

Let's talk about a game that needs a sequel...

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Merc, that is simply awesome! Everybody who remembers MoO/MoM talks about MoM, yet it never had a sequel and there have been two for MoO. Go figure.