A06 users: firmware flash provides "-" dual layer

Handruin

Administrator
Now THAT would be down-right phenomenal if it works! Something tells me Pioneer might not let that one slip out for free...they could bank more sales if they sold a new unit that supports dual layer...

If they decide to be nice and release that (if supported) I would be super happy. Even if it only burns dual layer at 2x, that's still awesome. Maybe some day I'll end up buying a new DVD burner when the 32x units are available. (aka not for a very long time)

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
DVD will likely always top out at 16X Handy - any faster and the "centripetal force of death" becomes a factor.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Handruin said:
Now THAT would be down-right phenomenal if it works! Something tells me Pioneer might not let that one slip out for free...they could bank more sales if they sold a new unit that supports dual layer...
I suggest they sell it for $20 to existing drive owners. People who want dual-layer would easily fork over that amount vs. buying a new player. I would.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Does anyone know if the OEM equivalent, Pioneer 106, would need different firmware?

Handruin

Administrator
Fushigi said:
Handruin said:
I suggest they sell it for $20 to existing drive owners. People who want dual-layer would easily fork over that amount vs. buying a new player. I would.

I would definitely fork over $20 for that feature....

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Oops. Quite correct. .... But it certainly would be way cooler if they imploded.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't know if I read it here, but somewhere I read the drive has to write both layers at the same time. So if you want to write 100 MB, you have to write the same on both layers...or, write it to one layer, but the second layer is now 100 MB less.

Why they stopped at 100MB, that I don't know.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Handruin said:
I don't know if I read it here, but somewhere I read the drive has to write both layers at the same time.
That doesn't sound right Doug - its not the kind of thing you want for video ....