Act on Server 2003 x64...

ddrueding

Fixture
I installed ACT (latest version) on a new Server 2003 x64 server and am having all kinds of problems. Apparently it doesn't like the MSSQL backend. I've googled for stuff but no clear responses to the problem were evident. If anyone has an idea of where to start, I would appreciate it.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks Buck, but it was installed on their previous machine and the support is all used up. It does have the latest updates. Have you tried it on x64?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Thanks Buck, but it was installed on their previous machine and the support is all used up. It does have the latest updates. Have you tried it on x64?

No, and their website does not show that x64 is supported. That was my first worry. I checked their FAQ and system requirements -- none mention x64. I suspect that is the issue. Otherwise, SQL shouldn't be a problem. Act! installs its own instance of SQL with the appropriate licenses next to an existing MSSQL installation.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Act is just about the biggest piece of shit I've dealt with in the last five years. The was a good version, apparently, but it was released years ago, before it was owned by Symantec or... whoever owns it now.

The current version runs visibly slower on a 3.8GHz P4 than the one from two releases ago did on a P3/900.

I have a seriously rich client who was sold Act as a solution to all his business needs eight or nine years ago, who has never, ever gotten it to work the way it's supposed to. His support runs out, he pays for a new incident. They tell him it's his internet connection, he switches providers, messes with router settings... gets a new computer when they tell him Windows is messed up... Yeah, I'm frustrated that I have to deal with this idiot, but every software support horror story, they've done to this guy. I actually feel bad for him.

I'd suggest moving to Goldmine or a web-based CRM if you really need Act's functionality in a program that actually works.