Addition wanted to the rules of conduct.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
After my last visit at SR's forum, I still notice the abondance of perhaps the thing that annoys me the most on a computer-related forum and I would like to submit a new addition to our rules of conduct for my own sanity :

You agree to never, ever, write about RAID 0 in this forum, especially in conjunction with the words "increase", "boost" or "improve" and "performance".

I'm sick of it. "Please help me to set up my RAID 0 array". "Is my RAID 0 fast enough?". "Check my RAID 0 numbers!". "Which is the fastest drive for my RAID 0 array?". "Will my RAID 0 array beat SCSI drives?" "How faster is RAID 0 compared to single drive?" "RAID 0 whining" "gnagnagna RAID 0" "RAID 0" "RAID0?" "RAID 0!" ....RAid...iD 0 ...Ra....0...0..RAId....

AAarRRggGGHHhh!!!!!! :bibber: :cursin:

:crucified: :boom:

I can't take it any longer! Get a clue, bunch of morons! :smack:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
On a different website, I tried to explain to someone that they might get better performance by not using an array... and several people seemed to have trouble believing that. Somehow people get it into their heads that double the drives must mean double the performance....

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Of course it won't beat SCSI! ;)

(Hunching down, running for his life.....)

(Yelling from a distance) You're right, every once in a while when I visit SR, there is always some RAID stuff before I'm halfway down the first page. Search anyone? Google?

(donning bulletproof vest and kevlar helmet, then returning to digging of foxhole...)

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
ROTFLMAO! :D

But to be fair some of us did have good RAID 0 experiences back in the day. ;) It's just that the new kids now have no patience and fail to read or comprehend the FAQs.

zx

Learning Storage Performance
sechs said:
On a different website, I tried to explain to someone that they might get better performance by not using an array... and several people seemed to have trouble believing that. Somehow people get it into their heads that double the drives must mean double the performance....

I don’t believe you! BURN THE WITCH!!!

Seriously though, RAID 0 is still the best for specialized hard drive configurations... But most people will get better performance by using two separate drives. But no matter how much you say that to people, RAID 0 is still popular, especially among the LAN party crowds.

Handruin

Administrator
zx said:
sechs said:

I don’t believe you! BURN THE WITCH!!!

Seriously though, RAID 0 is still the best for specialized hard drive configurations... But most people will get better performance by using two separate drives. But no matter how much you say that to people, RAID 0 is still popular, especially among the LAN party crowds.

Don't go giving LAN party crowds a bad name. :) I went to one this weekend and no one had RAID 0 that I know of.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
HMMMM. MY ARRAY rocks. 4 X15's on dual channels of an atto dual channel card.

110 MB/sec, and, I think that's maybe bus limited.

IDE raid?? Well,...

Forget about it!!!

Firewire raid I'm keeping an open mind.

With an X 15 for a boot drive, who cares?

It's a raid in a single drive.

gs

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Posted this afternoon, at SR, by a regular poster, about RAID 0 :
I believe the risk is quite low. I have had servers that run 24/7/365 with RAID 0 in 4 to 8 drive configurations installed for at least 4 years using ide drives with aboslutely no data loss. My solution is to upgrade the drives every 2 years, backup often and make sure that the servers have enough cooling.
sans commentaire.

The only thing I know about that guy is that he must have only one foot, because he probably has swallowed the other.

SteveC

Storage is cool
CougTek said:
Posted this afternoon, at SR, by a regular poster, about RAID 0 :
I believe the risk is quite low. I have had servers that run 24/7/365 with RAID 0 in 4 to 8 drive configurations installed for at least 4 years using ide drives with aboslutely no data loss. My solution is to upgrade the drives every 2 years, backup often and make sure that the servers have enough cooling.
sans commentaire.

The only thing I know about that guy is that he must have only one foot, because he probably has swallowed the other.

That's just, uh, scary. :eek:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You're part right Will R., but the subject of my wrath shouldn't be a noob by now with almost 400 posts.

I admit I've been too cynical in the following thread with the 1 post member, but the other RAID 0-loving regular (same as in the thread I linked above), he's just looking for it. He's just spreading misinformation all around and this shouldn't be tolerated.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I almost fell out my chair laughing when I read your response to that guy. However, I do agree with you about spreading misinformation. I think I'll vomit if I see one more RAID0 thread on SR. :puke-r: :puke-l:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
jtr1962 said:
I think I'll vomit if I see one more RAID0 thread on SR. :puke-r: :puke-l:
Well, do that there, not here. Our bartender would not like you too much if you do such a mess in this fine place.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think SR needs a page redesign on their computers forum. Maybe if the top 1/3 of the page was a 72-point bold, underlined "Search" textbox, newbies might use it. ;)

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
These things do not help. I'm a member of broadbandreports.com. Every forum has the search function at the top and links to FAQs and other useful info. People frequently post the same questions, despite given easy access to the answer.

Someone on the website has apparently tasked himself with simply replying to posts with the appropriate FAQ entries.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
That reminds me I should have pointed that guy to the faq.

Forums are great resources for information, it really sucks when they cannot be searched well becasue that takes away half of their usefulness.

I am really glad to have a google index of the site.. that way I can search through it with google if the built in form search feature does not work.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
perhaps he meant to say "I have had servers that run 0 RAID arrays". at least it would explain not having any RAID failures :roll: