Advice on buying a network switch

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
I found this on eBay, and I was wondering if you guys think it is a good deal. Most importantly, I want to be able to connect it to my Zonet ZSR0104B router. I mainly just want to expand my network, and I have limited experience with hubs and routers. So, I thought I would tap on you guys' vast knowledge. :)

Thanks!

Rod

RWIndiana

Don't have gigabit yet; it's still a bit pricey for my taste. My current Zonet router would have to be exchanged as well, as it does not support gigabit.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Using an HP at school, 8 port, and it works just fine..

Tech guy says they are cheap...

s

RWIndiana

Maybe this is a dumb question (yes it is an uninformed one for sure) but can I get any old hub and connect it to my router to expand my network, or do I need a certain type?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I think the general answer is yes. I have had some problems linking up routers designed for macs, only one I can think of, with other, standard hubs.

s

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
RWIndiana said:
Don't have gigabit yet; it's still a bit pricey for my taste. My current Zonet router would have to be exchanged as well, as it does not support gigabit.

I bought a pair of gigabit realtek network cards for $12 a piece... so not expensive.. They probably work 2-3x faster than 100Mbit cards. Prices on gigabit switches aren't bad if you get a basic one. Also, no need to update your router if you have a secondary switch.

Code:
{--Router--}
    |
[---Gig-E--Switch-----]
|   |   |   |   |    | 
PC  PC  PC  PC  PC  PC

Jimshady

What is this storage?
Gigabit Ethernet cards will work faster that 3 or 3 times faster in almost all circumstances. But anyway, back to the original question.

I don't know how much you know, but heres a quick education on hubs/switches:
-Hubs increase the size of the collision domain (not cool)
-Switches decrease the size of the collision domain (cool)
-Switches are a cheap way to increase overall bandwidth
-Hubs are crap

The switch you showed will work. There is no reason why it would not. However I would consider getting a Gigabit ethernet switch. Because it will mean that whenever you get a new node that is capable of Gb, it will be able to operate in that mode. The switch will end up the bottleneck of the network in the future, so plan ahead!

Jimmy

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Also, you could buy a new 10/100 switch from newegg for about the same price from trendware... maybe even a bigger switch...

One of the other points, not sure if it was covered is that a switch dedicates the full network bandwidth to each port while hubs share the entire network bandwidth between all ports. Meaning that if you have 5 transfers on a 100Mbit hub you split 100Mbit 5 ways. If you have a switch you have 5 x 100Mbit = 500Mbit potential rate.

RWIndiana

Thanks guys, that was very helpful and now I actually know a little more about hubs and switches. :)
I ordered a switch from Newegg, and it's supposed to be here Wednesday.

RWIndiana

I got the five port one. I don't know if i should have gotten a bigger one or not, I just know that at this point, all I will be using is three ports. I will have the four ports on my router filled up as well.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Jimshady said:
Gigabit Ethernet cards will work faster that 3 or 3 times faster in almost all circumstances. But anyway, back to the original question.
Jimmy

I have to disagree a bit, I've used about 5-6 different PCI GIGe NICs in my computers. I've used Windows and linux with them, and at least with 32bit PCI, and 2800+ processors and a gig of DC ram, getting just to 3x fast ethernet speed is good. Same with older integrated GIGe implementations.

Nforce 250gb should have a fast GIGe implementation. I'm sure some 64bit PCI cards (or PCI-X etc) will also have good performance.

Then again, firing up the P4C800-E with Intel CSA will rock the boat, at about 800+Mb/s according to Netperf.
I'm using a SMC 8508 switch.