Ahead are bastards - no 5.5 support since 6 is out.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Folks at Ahead.de, makers of Nero, no longer offer the latest (or any other) version (5.5.10.42) of Nero 5.5 on their web site. So people like myself, who own a legal copy of Nero 5.5, are left unable to update their software, unless paying for the upgrade to version 6. Those SOBs are a bunch of lame @£¤¬¦¢!!!! clueless capitalists.

I'm moving to another burning program (no, I'm not sick enough to try CD Cremator). Any suggestions (not Feurio, it belongs to Ahead too)? I've heard there are a few potent free burning apps, but I didn't pay attention to these until a few hours ago.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Coug, they just buried it deep in the site. Try here. The have the last versions of 3, 4, 5, and 5.5 available.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Steve : Thanks...but just for the extra work, they are bastards anyway.

Blake : Alcohol? I'm not talking about a lost girlfriend, I'm talking about a lost update file. Drugs are not the solution...

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Alcohol? I'm not talking about a lost girlfriend, I'm talking about a lost update file. Drugs are not the solution...
While I'm pretty sure you're kidding around, on the off chance that you weren't: Alcohol. And oh yes, free drinks at the bar for everyone, this ones on me...

PS. There is also cdrecord/cdtools

PPS. Another alternative for finding stuff from Ahead is searching their ftps - ftp://ftp.nero.com or ftp://ftpx.nero.com, where x is 2-whatever. I had to find InCD 3.5.24.0 last week on ftp7. Note - for some of their ftps, the root directory ftp://ftpx.nero.com is empty....but if you check ftp://ftpx.nero.com/yyyyy, where yyyy is the file you seek, then voila!

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
Alcohol 120% is an excellent piece of software for copying CD's and creating/burning CD-images. It is unequaled for backing up copy-protected CD's. :p
Yep. Alcohol 120% can also copy PS2 DVDs :wink:

Since these Nero 5.5 updates are not listed officially on Ahead's website, does these mean they are betas? I wonder if you can get technical support from Ahead if something goes wrong with these updates? Or at least you can give feedback to Ahead if these updates are not good?

Cheers,
Edward

Thirstydg

What is this storage?
Okay I have Nero 5.5.10 and I just downloaded 6.0 and installed it ,so are they giving 6.0 away?
And no it's not trail ware its the full install and after I installed it a screen came up with my serial number and told me to write it down incase I had to reinstall it again.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Thirstydg said:
Okay I have Nero 5.5.10 and I just downloaded 6.0 and installed it ,so are they giving 6.0 away?
And no it's not trail ware its the full install and after I installed it a screen came up with my serial number and told me to write it down incase I had to reinstall it again.
I depends on when you bought 5.5. If you bought it since May (?) they will upgrade it 6.0 free. The serial number you have for 5.5 must have been issued since then.

Otherwise you must buy the upgrade.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Actually I didn't care for Nero 6 - too glitzy - so I'm staying with 5.5. It does everything I want well and I already own it so why change.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Cougtek said:
I'm moving to another burning program (no, I'm not sick enough to try CD Cremator). Any suggestions (not Feurio, it belongs to Ahead too)? I've heard there are a few potent free burning apps, but I didn't pay attention to these until a few hours ago.
Nero got the boot from my system and has been replaced by Burnatonce....its so easy, and full featured.

I'm just on my way to put a linky for it in the toolbox section.

CK