question All-in-One PC or Other Options

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have a very old user that currently has a 5-year-old laptop. The laptop power button is caved in and the keyboard is barely functional as there is plenty of food and liquid debris all over it. I'm trying to decide what to replace it with, either an all-in-one or a larger (17"?) laptop. My concern about the former option is reliability and service, whereas my concern about the latter is that the keyboard will be abused and die an untimely death. A conventional desktop system is not feasible as there is limited space and the system must be quiet like a laptop.

I want to to keep the cost around $800 if that is feasible. The machine will be used basically for the internet and very little if anything else, so performance is not a concern. However, boot time should be quick so I would replace the HD with an SSD. Thanks.

LunarMist

There is actually a standardized all in one form factor now. It's called Thin Mini-ITX and here is a brochure listing OEMs who are building them.

Thanks. However, I need to purchase something in ready-to-use configuration, either online or at retail such as the Microcenter or Frys, etc.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The fact that the user is very old (so near retirement) and that despite his food abuse, his last laptop lasted 5 years push me to recommend another laptop. He probably won't have the time to ruin it before he leaves, unless he starts drooling because one side of his mouth no longer shuts tight like some elders do.

Touch screen won't be a good solution as long as Windows 8 won't be out in a month. If you can wait that long, fine. I wouldn't impose Windows 7 on a 1080p touch screen with small fonts. Windows 7 = keyboard & mouse. Windows 8 = touch screen.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Or there's something like that if you truly want a touch screen. A 15$ Windows 8 upgrade will be mandatory at the end of the month to keep it usable IMO.

LunarMist

No, I don't want to deal Windows 8. That's why I am buying computers now. I would not get a touch screen. I assume the all-in-ones will work with any keyboards, so I don't mind if a $10 one needs to be replaced once in a while. The laptop would have to be at least 17" or larger if 16:9 (I assume that is everything now) or it would not be perceived as better than the old 15.6' with 16:10 panel.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
A piddling laptop display is not very friendly to most elderly people. I calculate that a 17" 16:9 screen will add about 1/16" height to the existing 15.6" 16:10.

Rather than an all-in-one, have you considered a book-sized PC that mounts on the back of any monitor with 100mm VESA mounting holes?

Asus EEBox PC is limited to an Atom CPU, but that's probably still adequate for your purpose. I don't know where you can buy them in the US.
image-2.jpg

Lenovo currently has two models, the more expensive one adds USB 3.0. Unfortunately, their pricing for a 128GB SSD is outrageous, so you would blow your budget unless you add that yourself. Although it comes with VESA screws, it also has an alternative mounting method.
ThinkCentre-M92-M92p-Tiny-Desktop-PC-Side-View-Monitor-3L-940x475.jpg

I know you've said you don't want to build anything, but it's cheaper and more flexible to do so - perhaps you could approach a discrete member here to help?

Cooler Master has the Elite 100 case, but it's now long in the tooth and may be hard to get. Also, it's really too heavy for hanging off a monitor, as opposed to a TV.

Antec has the ISK110. It's even larger, but keeps the weight down by using an external power adapter.

Mini-Box has the M350. It's a better design and possibly what Ddrueding would use?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
This LG IPS231B-BN monitor would be an ideal match for the piggy-back solutions: it has a proper height adjustable stand and built-in speakers. I very much doubt that any of the All-In-One products, let alone an affordable 17" laptop, use an IPS panel.

LunarMist

Newegg seems to no longer be an option, due to the updated shipping policies. An i3 is as low as I'd be looking at, since that will keep a system usable longer.
I am considering a slightly larger and easier option like buying a small, basic PC and a cheap 22-23' monitor. I have not purchased a computer since the 90s, so I'm not sure of the pitfalls.
What do people think of a Lenovo H260s? I can get a ~$500 version at B&H or other normal store.
I'm not 100% sure yet if that will fit, but it is smaller than the similar Dell Vladivostok. Are there other pre-built computers that are smaller or more versatile?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My impression of relatively recent Lenovo business (Thinkcenter/Thinkstation) desktop products is that they're relatively solid and similar to what I would've built anyway. I don't know if that's true of consumer desktops but I doubt that there's as much difference between desktop products as there in in notebooks.

LunarMist

I received the leonvo. The HD partitioning is odd. There is the annoying 200MB win 7 partition, then c:, followed by a hidden EISA partition.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The hidden partition is probably the recovery partition. If it's not too big, you can leave it as-is. You'll never use it, but it depends how much you value your time if you decide to flush everything and re-install the entire thing or not.

LunarMist

The hidden partition is probably the recovery partition. If it's not too big, you can leave it as-is. You'll never use it, but it depends how much you value your time if you decide to flush everything and re-install the entire thing or not.

That's what I suspect, but I'm not sure that it is not needed. I prefer to back up the first two partitions with Acronis.

LunarMist

So after working on the laptop for a week, I'm back to the H520s. Now there is one very odd probelm. After exactly one minute of being idle, the computer kicks back to the login screen. I checked every damned thing in the advanced power settings and all hardware is on or never turn off, except the monitor is set to turn off 15 minutes. Sleep and hibernate are disabled. Any ideas what can cause this? I know the use will not accept the current situation.

LunarMist

Thanks, that was it. The screensaver was set to none, but apparently there is a goofy default under that. Win 7 is killing me. I don't know what rationale MS has for changing things, especially the control panel. I hope not to have to deal with 8 at home in my lifetime.

Mercutio

I think we all just need to accept that when a new version of Windows comes along, they're going to change some stuff. The Metro lack-of-start menu is kind of a big deal, but having breadcrumbs and a Back button instead of an Up button really isn't.

LunarMist

Well of course you are in IT working with end users, and need to learn about it early on. I have no idea what breadcrumbs are.

Mercutio

Breadcrumbs are the little clicky bits in the Windows 7 Address bar that let you quickly navigate to other folders on the same level in the directory structure as whichever one you clicked on. If you click on the one next to Computer, you see all your drive letters. If you click the one next to your C: drive, you see all the top-level folders on C: etc.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Breadcrumbs are the little clicky bits in the Windows 7 Address bar that let you quickly navigate to other folders on the same level in the directory structure as whichever one you clicked on. If you click on the one next to Computer, you see all your drive letters. If you click the one next to your C: drive, you see all the top-level folders on C: etc.

They are used all over the internet too. Even this site has them.

LunarMist

Thanks, I never knew that name.

Does anyone know if you have a small disk and insert it into the vertical slot, will it fall out? I assume a small disk in a Veronica tray will fall out.

LunarMist

The Lenovo is upright, which is causing all the problems.