Alternate keyboard layouts (dvorak, colemak)

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
Does anyone here use them? Is there any real advantage? I do like the idea of caps-lock being replaced with a backspace (colemak). I am, in fact, using colemak right now and learning it surprisingly fast. But I'm not sure if it's really worth the effort.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
No point at all in me learning a different keyboard layout: I spend a lot of my time using machines that are not mine, different ones every day, and it's not practical to convert and then reconvert every machine that arrives and departs.

Querty is pretty stupid, no doubt about it, but I'm stick with it unless/until the rest of the world switches.

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
I think there would have to be a big industry push for a new layout, and a forced obsolescence of QWERTY before it becomes practical for many of us to switch. Too bad. :(

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Of course, I' only a three-fingered typist anyway ... :p
That's the Advanced Columbus Method. I'm a practitioner as well.

Standard Columbus Method is "find it and land on it."

I've used microcomputers, minicomputers, and the odd mainframe since 1981 and have never learned to be a touch-typist. I can pluck out 45+ WPM but have to look at the keyboard to do it.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I think there would have to be a big industry push for a new layout, and a forced obsolescence of QWERTY before it becomes practical for many of us to switch. Too bad. :(

The switch from the Alphabet keyboard to the Qwerty keyboard was to slow typest down. The typewriters of the day would jam up if you went too fast. It didn't take too long for the speed to bypass the Alphabet keyboard, but by then the typwriters were much improved. And, there wern't that many typewriters then. Switching now would be a nightmare.

I'm a hunt-n-peck typest.

Bozo :joker:

ddrueding

Fixture
I didn't learn to type well until I started doing Linux command line stuff. Having to type long lines of crap for hours on end is a great way to learn.

ddrueding

Fixture
Perhaps this is what happens when you outsource the final design to people who don't speak the language the keyboard is designed for? If this happened on a Cyrillic or Hebrew keyboard, I would have no idea.

Still a pretty big design screw-up, laptop keyboard designers have been taking too many liberties as it is.

JSF

What is this storage?
I have been using a Kinesis keyboard for several years. It offers a choice of a Qwerty or Dvorak layout. I used Dvorak for a while when I first purchased the keyboard, but when I was forced to use a Qwerty layout I had a real problem. I could easily adapt to the slightly different stagger of the keys in a regular keyboard, but shifting back to a Qwerty layout was difficult. So I agree with Tannin.

I learned to Touch-Type as a teenager. I daily typed the menus in my father's restaurant and was motivated to increase my speed. I placed an image of the keyboard on the wall behind the typewriter and refused to look at the keyboard as I was typing. Doing this you can rapidly acquire a Touch-Type skill if you are so motivated.

Joe

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I really should do that, JSF. Near enough to 30 years using keyboards, and I still use only one hand. Like Fushigi, I can get up to 45WPM ... but one cup of coffee or a glass of light beer and that goes down to less that half.

ddrueding

Fixture
I can thank trying to learn linux to my finally learning to type. Working on a command line for a week straight and it just starts happening.