Am I the First to Have It ?

EdT

What is this storage?
The silent PC bug have hit me and I just spewed out big bucks to aquire this, anyone have this yet or other fanless PSUs ?, I know no shop in Montreal has it in stock and must place a special order.

Antec Phantom 350
Phantom.jpg

Special Features:
350 Watts ATX12V2.0
Fanless design ensures absolutely silent operation
Ultra-high-efficiency circuitry (at least 85% efficiency at full load) saves energy and reduces heat
Extruded aluminum casing is directly attached to internal heatsinks, for maximum heat dispersion
Dedicated output circuits for each voltage eliminate combined-output limitations
Advanced voltage-feedback circuitry provides maximum system stability by ensuring accurate power delivery
Dual +12V output circuits provide server-quality power
2 SATA connectors to power Serial ATA drives
Server-grade protection features ensure maximum reliability. Includes over-temperature, over-voltage, over-current, over-power, short-circuit and under-voltage protection
Gold-plated connectors for superior conductivity
ATX12V v2.0 compliant compatible with current and newest generation of motherboards
AQ3 Antec's unbeatable 3-year parts and labor warranty

ddrueding

Fixture
I certainly have the Silent computing bug, but have found Nexus fans at low speed to be a more comprehensive solution than a fanless PSU/alternative exhaust method. I was obsesing about noise, but I am now finnished, my system is as fast as I will want for a while and inaudible from 2 inches away.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
So Dave, what components are you now using that got you to your point of Nirvana?

ddrueding

Fixture
Complete system specs as follows:

Antec P160 Case (heavily modded)
ASUS K8N-E Deluxe Mobo (undervolted/modded)
A64 Mobile 2700+ (undervolted/underclocked)
Thermalright SLK-948 with Panaflo 92mm "L" @ 4v
2x 512MB PC3200 DIMMs (Mushkin)
Gigabyte 6800 (fanless)
Samsung 160GB/8MB SATA HDD with Nidec motor (suspended)
Zalman heatpipe HDD cooler
Sony DRU-700 DVD-RW
Random 120mm PS from newegg (modded)
2x Nexus 120mm fans @ 5v

The Mods:

Removed from case: HDD cage, FDD cage, front fan mount, front air filter, front grille, PS mount
Removed from PS: Fan, fan control circutry, voltage switch
Suspended Nexus fan in front using 3/16" shock cord
Suspended HDD behind fan using 3/16" shock cord
Modded NB heatsink using heatpipe and blocks from Zalman VGA cooler and dead Sapphire 9600 "Ultimate editon" card
Modded front bezel with a LOT of hot glue to prevent resonance of blanking panels and unwanted airflow
Suspended 120mm Nexus beneath PS using 3/16" shock cord and soft foam duct
Mounted Samsung 191T to side panel of PC using mounting screws
Cables for LCD pass through hole in side panel (behind LCD) and hook up internally
3 Zalman Fanmates are mounted below LCD panel (only knobs are visible through holes)
CrystalCPUID changes the CPU speed/Voltage based on CPU load every 100ms. settings are: 800Mhz/0.8v - 1.2Ghz/0.9v - 1.6Ghz/1v

Current temps (with all fans at lowest setting) are:

CPU: 32C
NB: 42C
HDD:28C
GPU: 55C

An old description of some of my work can be fount at SPCR here. The pictures are broken and will be until I get DSL at my new home (unless someone can host for me?)

I will update that thread when I am done and get access to a digital camera again.

Still to do:
Acoustipack damping materiel
Better cable management
Posible ducting towards VGA

EdT

What is this storage?
Alright its New Year's Eve and my local PC store phones me and wakes me saying my Phantom has arrived, so I go get it and install it and here are the results:

First Glance

The PSU is nicely packaged in a slick glossy pictured box and inside a high density foam box protects the PSU from damage if dropped due to its heavy weight. Inside I find a thicker than usual instruction manual, a 24-20 pin adapter and 4 mounting screws.

The casing/heatsink is painted rather than anodized, this would make heat desipate less efficiently. I also see Antec has been busy touching up chipped/marred paint on the heatsink with a black marker ...unbelieveable !

The Phantom is 1" longer than regular PSUs:http://davey15c2c.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?full=1&set_albumName=album01&id=Phantom_PP352X_002

It also weighs in at a hefty 5.9lbs !
http://davey15c2c.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?full=1&set_albumName=album01&id=Phantom_PP352X_001

The mounting hole location is not as exact as regular PSUs, but then again Antec is trying to tap the screw holes in between the heatsink finshttp://davey15c2c.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?full=1&set_albumName=album01&id=Phantom_KingWin_001

Phantom mounted
http://davey15c2c.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?full=1&set_albumName=album01&id=Phantom_KingWin002

Inserting and removing the black plastic/gold brass plated plugs is much more easy than with the regular white nylon/zinc metal plugs. This is especially nice when removing the plugs in tight spaces.

Phantom in my new Kingwin KT-424-S aluminium case
http://davey15c2c.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?full=1&set_albumName=album01&id=KingWin_Case_001

Everything powered up fine without any problems like those experienced by other Phantom owners during the first power up. There also a new PSU smell most likely from the paint.

Tempertures:
System idle for 3 hours with the same fan setup as with my old PP-352X

AMD XP 2000+ not overclocked

1 60mm CPU fan Delta @3000rpm
2 80mm Kingwin fans intake in the front of the case @1600rpm
1 80mm Kingwin fan exhuast in the back of the case @1800rpm

Antec PP-352X 1x80mm and 1x92mm fan: Case Temp: 23C / CPU Temp: 41C

Antec Phantom: no fans: Case Temp: 28C / CPU Temp: 48C

I can feel warm air coming out of the exhaust fan and the top of my case is warm also from the hot air raising from the Phantom's heatsink and yeah its quiet not even a hum from the coils !

EdT

What is this storage?
ddrueding said:
I certainly have the Silent computing bug, but have found Nexus fans at low speed to be a more comprehensive solution than a fanless PSU/alternative exhaust method. I was obsesing about noise, but I am now finnished, my system is as fast as I will want for a while and inaudible from 2 inches away.

I was thinking of getting the Seasonic Super Tornado, which is more efiecient and quiter than the Nexus, but its rarity of stock in Canada prevented me in getting it.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It's rather sad. Reading the title of this thread, I'm afraid that it simply didn't occur to me to think that it might be about anything else but the obvious topic that common sense would immediately assign to a thread with such a title.

No thought required: "Am I the first to have it?", I read. "Hmm", I thought, "do I want to read a thread about whatever nasty virus is the latest and worst thing around?"

It simply didn't occur to me that it might be a thread about a bit of hardware.

Says something sad about the world, really.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
That's funny Tea - I thought the same thing about the title. :)

Also:

Nobel laureate rings energy alarm bell ... and then runs and hides in the bushes.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Oh my Tea, didn't we wake up on the wrong side of the world today.

EdT, you'll have to excuse the furry one, she's not usually all uppity like this -- especially to new members! I suspect that Tannin simply hasn't arrived back from the bush yet, and the cupboards are bare at home. Hunger, you see, will drive many an ape to grumpiness.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I did not expect the title was related to anything organic, but rather a graphics card or the latest video game.