AMD CPU, RAM pricing

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Are we due for a price cut on Opterons and A-64 CPUs? Anybody have any opinions on where RAM prices are headed?

The Inquirer reports that AMD is changing the stepping of the A-64/3200, but the packaging on the new ones indicates that it runs at 2.0 GHz (should be 2.2 GHz). What gives?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
RAM prices are up and only going higher. My understanding is that chip makers are concentrating on DDRII and solid state devices rather than making us the DIMMs we need NOW.

I'm sitting on four assembled PCs right now because RAM prices are so high. It's really disappointing.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The 2GHz old core has 1MB of L2 cache.

The newer 2.2GHz revision has half the L2 cache amount, but some improvements elsewhere, making it more or less equal in overall performances according to AMD.

At least that's what I remember having read on the subject.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
CougTek said:
The 2GHz old core has 1MB of L2 cache.

The newer 2.2GHz revision has half the L2 cache amount, but some improvements elsewhere, making it more or less equal in overall performances according to AMD.

At least that's what I remember having read on the subject.
This is the data sheet from AMD. Both 3000+ and 3200+ run at 2 GHz, but 3200+ has 1 MB L2. There is however a version of 3200+ (OPN ends with AX) that runs at 2,2 GHz and has only 512kB L2.

When I last checked NewEgg (a week ago or so) they had A64's with only the older revision on sale. There was a lone mobile chip with the new revision core though...

Cheers,

Jan